Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rehoboth Place up at south Circular road

Options
  • 29-12-2013 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭

Hi guys, Right here's the situation. I've been offered a house to stay in up on Rehoboth Place, its a house minding situation for a year and it's rent free which would be ideal for me as well, I'm broke.

I've tried to do a search about what the areas like as it is pretty close to Dolphins Barn but there are the most insanely varying reports of the place, one site say's it's the new gay capital of the city and it's uber trendy and another site reports people being stabbed with syringes and having boiling oil thrown over them (seriously).

From what I can gather the people who are living there seem to think it's ok and the people who don't seem to have a lot of horror stories, problem is I have no idea who to listen to. I'm a fairly large guy and grew up next to Ballymun so I personally would have no problem living but there I'm concerned for my girlfriend who is from Malahide. we'd both be more of a "rocker" look, for want of a better term, then most people. Also concerned about the amount of kids in the area as I have cats and I'd be afraid they'd wind up getting ****ed onto a bonfire or something.

Anyone have any experiences of the place?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭bluefinger

nicolo wrote: »
    Hi guys, Right here's the situation. I've been offered a house to stay in up on Rehoboth Place, its a house minding situation for a year and it's rent free which would be ideal for me as well, I'm broke.

I've tried to do a search about what the areas like as it is pretty close to Dolphins Barn but there are the most insanely varying reports of the place, one site say's it's the new gay capital of the city and it's uber trendy and another site reports people being stabbed with syringes and having boiling oil thrown over them (seriously).

From what I can gather the people who are living there seem to think it's ok and the people who don't seem to have a lot of horror stories, problem is I have no idea who to listen to. I'm a fairly large guy and grew up next to Ballymun so I personally would have no problem living but there I'm concerned for my girlfriend who is from Malahide. we'd both be more of a "rocker" look, for want of a better term, then most people. Also concerned about the amount of kids in the area as I have cats and I'd be afraid they'd wind up getting ****ed onto a bonfire or something.

Anyone have any experiences of the place?

lived there most of my life.
    it is in dolphins barn for a start.
    Rehobeth place is in off the main street and is very quiet itself. the surrounding area is busy during the day and eerily quiet at night.
    Your gf would not be bothered imo, the area does feature the flats but the vast majority of the people living there are sound. it's reputation goes before it. rialto and dolphins barn are really ethnically diverse so i don't think you'd stick out any more than anyone else in the area.
    the place is crawling with cats due to the canal and i've never heard or seen one being mistreated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭stanley1

Been cycling down that way early mornings for the last 10 years, never any sign of bother, very quiet at night, fairly busy traffic during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

I was going to buy a house there earlier this year. I know someone living on the road opposite it, just off SCR. They say their car sometimes gets interferred with. That would have been my only real concern had I bought. Otherwise, I reckon Rehoboth is very quiet (although it seems to be a short-cut walkthrough from SCR to Cork Street for lots of the locals). I'd say you should go for it. And let us know how you get on too: that would make this thread really interesting. Hopefully you have a lovely time.

Although I did notice that the house next door to the one I was interested in had webcam homemade CCTV outside just over the front living room window and also over the hall door. That struck me as being odd, and an indicator of anti-social behaviour, possibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭nicolo

Thank guys! feel a lot better bout giving it a shot now. cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

I think it's fine to live there if you're minding someone's house. My friends were renting there this year and the last, and from what they said noisy kids were the main issue and you should watch your car if you have one as one of them had her window smashed once and mirrors tampered with a couple of times. Handy into town though.
    Going towards Rialto/Fatima it could be worse (the far end of Reuben St etc), apparently there's some unsavoury activity there recently (drugs, fights) and there were beautiful houses advertised for peanuts on Church Avenue, most likely there's a reason for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭robjones1981

I would echo what has already been said above

Live close by and regularly pass it at various times of the day

Area is fine as long as you keep your eyes open etc and mind your own business

I understand your fear about the cats though all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I'm a woman and I've lived down the road from there for 10 years. Rehoboth should be grand, I wouldn't have any problem living there.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭nicolo

Right so said I'd do an update so here it is. so far I've found the place to be really nice. personally haven't seen too much of a dodgy element. The majority of the locals are either older Dublin folk. Muslims, Asians or Polish and everyone seems to be friendly and mind their own business.
    There seems to be a good tenant association going on as I've recieved a few letters about plans to improve the street which is great.

Hopefully this will continue, will let you know if there's any more developments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭bluefinger

nicolo wrote: »
    Right so said I'd do an update so here it is. so far I've found the place to be really nice. personally haven't seen too much of a dodgy element. The majority of the locals are either older Dublin folk. Muslims, Asians or Polish and everyone seems to be friendly and mind their own business.
    There seems to be a good tenant association going on as I've recieved a few letters about plans to improve the street which is great.

Hopefully this will continue, will let you know if there's any more developments.
    Glad to hear it's working out and thanks for the update.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 CormacTheOC

Hey,my wife and I recently purchased a house in Rehoboth place, I found this post after some Googling. cheered up by all the replies and OP's update. I realise it was 9 years ago.. but does anyone still live in the area?

• Advertisement
Advertisement