Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coconut oil for dog

• 29-12-2013 12:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭

Hi everyone just wondering if virgin coconut oil is safe for dogs. I use it as a moisturiser on myself and tonight my doggie helped himself to a few licks from the jar.
    Also can it be used to condition a dogs coat?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I wouldn't worry about it. Mine loves Palmer's Cocoa Butter and Vaseline! As fast as I slap it on, he tries to lick it off.

And yes - coconut oil is very good for the dog's coat. But I would only use the tiniest bit as it's very heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Assassin saphir

I wouldn't worry about it. Mine loves Palmer's Cocoa Butter and Vaseline! As fast as I slap it on, he tries to lick it off.

And yes - coconut oil is very good for the dog's coat. But I would only use the tiniest bit as it's very heavy.
    That's great thanks. I was worried in case it made him sick. Least I know now it's not dangerous for him to lick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭jantheman91

I give my dog coconut oil in his food now and then.

He has atopic dermatitis and find it helps :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Organic extra virgin coconut oil (around E6 for big tub in Supervalu - its called Cocowell or similar) is brilliant for dogs coat, skin and digestive system! I give it to mine every day - a small tsp each in their food. You should build up slowly to the amount for your dogs size though, as it can cause messy poo's 8-) It should always be organic/extra virgin oil - i.e. not over processed.

Read this for more info (theres tons of info on the web on the subject)
    http://coconut-oil-dogs.com

Advertisement