Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atlantic Storm Watch & Coastal Flooding Events: January 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Pappacharlie

Very quiet here in Ballyvary near Castlebar. Must be the calm before the storm??
    Or is it all hyped up again?

The wind has picked up here now yet as I type its calmed down again. Still nothing to get excited about or loose sleep over! Watching Scent of a Woman now that's some film! Wind starting to howl!

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Lobsterlady

Wow, loudest gust ever here in east Limerick.....rain hammering down, the wind is by far the strongest of the storms we've had over the last few weeks. Worried about the old oak trees surrounding the house....it's building up again now, like a low growling and rumbling.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Just realised the M6 buoy hasn't reported since 10pm, that might explain why the waves don't look so high there. :rolleyes:

Winds are picking up at Spike Island.

daywind.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

ahhh here we go. loud enough here in cork city

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Its now very windy in Galway west. Starting to sound like st stephens night.
    And just as I can put off sleep no longer...:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

No rain but its got very windy in the last hour in north meath, great drying out in fact, must send the wife out with some washing for the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

Wow, loudest gust ever here in east Limerick.....rain hammering down, the wind is by far the strongest of the storms we've had over the last few weeks. Worried about the old oak trees surrounding the house....it's building up again now, like a low growling and rumbling.

Yeah, got a bit crazy there with that last shower, some serious gusts in it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭tfromkerry

not so bad in south kerry , was expecting more .

Mace Head gust of 120 km/h at 1am.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,048 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

O the weather outside is rotten
    In time, soon forgotten
    But since I've no place to go
    Let It Blow Let It Blow Let It Blow

O it doesn't show signs of quitting
    In the dark I will be sitting
    The lights are are about to go
    Let It Blow Let It Blow Let It blow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Lobsterlady

Yeah, got a bit crazy there with that last shower, some serious gusts in it...

It's calmed down a bit here now, wonder if we are in for more though? That last bout of gusts had me worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

very loud wind and rain here in Dublin 11

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

Wet but calm in Westport. But judging from the post above that storm has hit Galway, just a few minutes away now.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Fitzo

Windy in Sligo now.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Was very loud in Dublin 5 for a few mins. Stopped now.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

It's calmed down a bit here now, wonder if we are in for more though? That last bout of gusts had me worried.

Yeah, there's a good few more hours left in this I'd say, will seem worse during the showers and looking at satellite and radar there's more coming for us. Hoping my fence panels hold up, had to repair two after Steven's day...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Fitzo wrote: »
    Windy in Sligo now.

I have to travel the length of Munster to a funeral. I have a choice of Friday, Saturday or Sunday. Any forecast? Advise please.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

No let up in the gusts in nearly a hour here in Castlebar, not sure how Westport and Ballyvary seem to be calm, it is crazy here, quite few window benders as well.

A few power outages starting to show up now as well, Straide seems to be out not surprisingly https://www.esb.ie/esb-networks/powercheck/

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Fitzo

Wind really beginning to pick up in Sligo town now.

feargale wrote: »
    I have to travel the length of Munster to a funeral. I have a choice of Friday, Saturday or Sunday. Any forecast? Advise please.

Saturday would be a calm day in terms of wind anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Looking at the developing shower moving into Kilkenney/Laois heading for me, it's gonna get wild again soon. It's a pity not more are around from under these showers for their take on things. I guess thats what happens when there was much less hype surrounding tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭MikeD22

Just had lightning and thunder in north kilkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Wild enough here in Wexford wasn't expecting it

• Registered Users Posts: 16,753 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Fairly gusty here now. It's close to the intensity of the previous storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

Thunder and lightning Kilkenny city. Wasn't expecting that, frightened the life out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭the2hurdys

Wind very intense in short bursts here near Tipperary Town...showers also torrential at time but don't last very long

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

me89 wrote: »
    Thunder and lightning Kilkenny city. Wasn't expecting that, frightened the life out of me.

Some bang about 5 mins ago woke me up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭tfromkerry

feargale wrote: »

From what i have read , and looking at met.ie Saturday would be your best bet . And again as always in bad weather travel in daylight and keep lights on . Also check your tire,s and spare wheel .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Xenji wrote: »
    No let up in the gusts in nearly a hour here in Castlebar, not sure how Westport and Ballyvary seem to be calm, it is crazy here, quite few window benders as well.

A few power outages starting to show up now as well, Straide seems to be out not surprisingly https://www.esb.ie/esb-networks/powercheck/

Not that calm here, 2 miles outside Westport. 68 knots recorded at Inishlyre:

http://www.mayosailingclub.com/?pageId=68

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭MikeD22

That was a serious 3 mins of hail and wind and lightning here....nothing only a gentle breeze now

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement