Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atlantic Storm Watch & Coastal Flooding Events: January 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

Anyone got a means of measuring the current gusts in Galway or indeed anywhere else? I like the idea of a precise measurement of the weather shenanigans outside...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

All quiet here again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,166 ✭✭✭pad199207

I'd say Wexford town area maybe getting some sparks soon. Radar looks rather vivid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

http://www.disastercenter.com/convert.htm

Conversion table for wind speeds

Got hit by the tail end of that cell heading out to sea in Dublin CC . Sustained gust for 40 sec or so felt like an age from my top floor position !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,814 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

horizontal rain rushing down the street, north dublin

• Advertisement

South Coastal Wexford
    Unreal wind, rain, hail the last hour. Woke me up. My alarm cant even do that. There was 4 lightening flashes. The first 2 had thunder immediately overhead. Scared the bejeepers out of me!!

Has calmed down somewhat now. Frightening earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Finally got a good rumble of thunder in Castlebar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Nice and windy in Donegal now, wouldn't call it stormy as sustained wind is still nothing special but some strong gusts now, at a guess gusting 100-110kph

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Had two ferocious gusts of wind speed down the road outside my apartment in North Dublin about 15 mins ago. It was the noisiest wind I've ever heard from inside and was quite frightening. Even the cats were spazzing out!

Nothing now!

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭rosser44

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

The echo on the radar just passing off Dublin is what brought all the excitement to the Dublin/Kildare area 20 to 30 mins ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭mumo3

Finished here in west Dublin I think well for the moment I'm now wide awake grrrrr

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Ok, so the posts here answered one question, we didn't lose power about 30 minutes ago, but I reckon a line somewhere took a hit, the ELCB on the panel hopped out, I've reset it and nothing has gone off again, so I am going to put it down to a surge from a lightning strike in the Dublin area,

Nasty gust a few minutes ago rattled the Sky dish enough to disrupt the signal, and the roof creaked more than it usually does, I'm guessing (in the absence of a weather station, I really must get it sorted) the gust that came through was probably about 50Kts, based on the noise and background winds. The winds have come up some in the last hour, having been increasing slowly over the evening, it's now at the stage of no longer being just a very low noise in the background, the wind is making it's presence felt.

Some way back, someone was asking about the Stena Ferries. The fast service from Dun Laoghaire tomorrow (Now today, Friday) is indeed cancelled, which is no great surprise, (as is the Irish Ferries fast craft) but according to their web site, the 2 ferries from Dublin Port are both operating to schedule at the moment, the best thing will be to check the Stena Line site for the latest details later in the night, in case it changes.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭dubal

Power gone here in Dublin 14.

Dubal

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Paruparo

I'm not an expert but I like to follow the weather chat here.

I found this lightning radar (is there specifically one for Ireland?)

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=lightning;sess=

And, I'm following the wind flow over here:

http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/isobaric/1000hPa/orthographic=-7.86,52.75,990

UKMO buoy K2 reporting 13.9m (45 feet) swell off the southwest coast :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

dubal wrote: »
    Power gone here in Dublin 14.

Dubal

I still have power here in D14.

Dan :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Power gone here in D16

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

ESB Powercheck says nearly 6000 homes without power with a fault in Ballyboden.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭MoonDancer

I love me storms but I'm actually thinking of bringing the dog to bed with me haha. Spooky out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Type of service interruption:
    FaultNumber of customers affected: 5844
    Start time: 03/01/2014 02:37
    est restore time: 03/01/2014 03:45

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Not showing on radar but we have lightening in Athlone wind not to bad rain heavy showers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭mumo3

MoonDancer wrote: »
    I love me storms but I'm actually thinking of bringing the dog to bed with me haha. Spooky out there!

I already have!! And he's worse than I am definitely not getting any sleep tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭fifi28

DominoDub wrote: »
    Type of service interruption:
    FaultNumber of customers affected: 5844
    Start time: 03/01/2014 02:37
    est restore time: 03/01/2014 03:45
    Power back thank god as was starting to crack up with the noise of an alarm from a few houses away! Storm is coming and going here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 by the curragh

Has this storm peaked, or is there more of this to come? Seriously, this is a serious storm, my roof nearly came off about an hour ago, a massive gust hit the house resulting in a loud cacophony of splitting wood noises, not just the normal creaking !

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭AMCCORK

Pretty loud in a Cork right now! I have to drive to the airport shortly eeek!

cyclops999 wrote: »
    Not showing on radar but we have lightening in Athlone wind not to bad rain heavy showers

Probably a lot of unstable air in front of that heavy band of rain approaching from the west creating small Cbs. Some small pockets of rain on the radar in and about Athlone. It'll start lashing down in about 20 mins!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,450 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

About 3-4 hours more to go of the maximum phase of this storm, not expecting anything worse to develop, but next high tide on west and south coasts could see some flooding issues. Low is in Donegal Bay at about 950 mb heading northeast, winds will stay in the southwest possibly veering a bit more to west-southwest. Just about borderline level 2/3 on our scale in a few cases, stay safe and expect road debris if you have to drive before daybreak (also after but then you can at least see it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Some pretty decent gusts here in Cavan(house is creaking :eek:).
    Had a good few flashes of lightening about 30 mins ago but no thunder.

Lots more lightning here but nothing on radar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 by the curragh

Is there a possibility that that band of rain approaching from the west will bring gusts to Kildare as strong as was in that last cell that crossed Kildare ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭shamtastic

lightning in naas 2 mins ago

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement