Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atlantic Storm Watch & Coastal Flooding Events: January 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

http://www.theaa.ie/AA/AA-Roadwatch.aspx

For road information.

Stay safe out there folks.

Remember, never enter flood water.

Don't drive into flood waters unless you have ascertained its depth and never enter flowing flood water.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Found it bad enough last night in Castlebar.
    Talking to Dad there and said they are blocked in in Louisburgh as main road to Westport is closed.
    Quays in Westports closed due to flooding. Castlebar road to Newport closed due to flooding.
    Moy burst banks in Ballina so a lot of flooding.
    Road to Carraholly in Westport is closed as the bridge was swept away.

Seems to have caused a lot more structural damage this time.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Well done again MT ,Galway Harbour said that the wind at the docks reached catagory 1 hurricane force...

There were hurricane force gusts...and...that's what ME forecast! Gusts to 130km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Main St Foynes also closed due to flooding according to AA

No way through to Kerry for city folk so

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭RoisinD

Update from Clare FM: Golf Links Road and the Promenade in Lahinch are being evacuated due to flooding there.

There is two foot of water on the road at Moyasta, while the road between Kilrush and Killimer is impassable between Roadstone and Moneypoint.

Flooding is also reported in Carrigaholt, Cappa and in Quilty. Conditions are also bad in Kilkee and in Spanish Point.

In other parts fo the county, conditions are not as dangerous, but motorists in all areas are being asked to proceed with extreme care.

Have heard from friends that the area around Lahinch is particularly bad with no direct way through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Met Eireann have an early alert at the end of their outlook forecast for Sunday/Monday.
    On Sunday and Monday there is a further risk of potentially dangerous conditions on some roads and some flooding. In particular coastal flooding continues to be a threat due to combination of high tides/high seas/high winds.

Mc Love wrote: »

Plenty of routes.

By pass Adare via Croom or else the local back roads.

Granted the local back roads are narrow and not suited to heavy traffic.

Another route is the Cork road to O'Rourkes Cross. Turn right and drive to Newcastlewest. Then you're back on track. This would be the best route for fastest safe travel for all vehicles and hgv's.

Calm dry morning here in West Limerick.

Light southerly breeze and patches of blue sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kopfan77

Mc Love wrote: »

One other option (bit of a roundabout way) is to go towards Croom (cork road), head towards Ballingarry to get onto Kilmallock/Newcastlewest Road and on to Kerry from Newcastlewest

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭acassells80

Is Dublin at risk after high tide today

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

yop wrote: »
    Found it bad enough last night in Castlebar.
    Talking to Dad there and said they are blocked in in Louisburgh as main road to Westport is closed.
    Quays in Westports closed due to flooding. Castlebar road to Newport closed due to flooding.
    Moy burst banks in Ballina so a lot of flooding.
    Road to Carraholly in Westport is closed as the bridge was swept away.

Us here in Murrisk blocked in too! The road is closed at Deerpark according to Midwest radio news. The very high tide this morning would have brought the sea in over the wall there and on to the road. Last night's winds here definitely worse than the storm of the 26th, especially from about 1.30am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Is Dublin at risk after high tide today

I think parts of clontarf, ringsend, sandymount are. High tide just before 1pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

I know I will be called a ME basher but going by all the damage that this storm has caused surely it should have had a red warning, I dont recall ever a storm like I heard and saw in Galway this morning, the noise of the wind screaming was something else, and looking at all the damage I feel so sorry for those that are flooded, there are some pictures on Galway Advertiser and Galway Independent facebooks.

Any thoughts on the red warning ??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Aerohead wrote: »
    I know I will be called a ME basher but going by all the damage that this storm has caused surely it should have had a red warning, I dont recall ever a storm like I heard and saw in Galway this morning, the noise of the wind screaming was something else, and looking at all the damage I feel so sorry for those that are flooded, there are some pictures on Galway Advertiser and Galway Independent facebooks.

Highest gust was 133 at Mace Head, second highest was 122 at Belmullet. It seems to me the warning of 130 km/h gusts was bang on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

yop wrote: »

The cumulative effect of this storm season will be serious. We will see structures and trees that seemingly survived a more powerful event to succumb some time later.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭gugsy

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    I think parts of clontarf, ringsend, sandymount are. High tide just before 1pm.

There wont be as big as a surge the west got due to westerly wind. If the wind were easterly there would be a bigger surge. But met e not pridicting serious surges for dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭kerrywez

[-0-] wrote: »
    I was in Ireland for the Stephens night storm which was great fun.

I'm over in New Hampshire now in the middle of a snow storm, watching the updates from the latest storm back home. Loving it. :)

That is our next storm for Monday, but some uncertainty as to whether or not it will come close enough to us for any windiness, but the swells from it are supposed to be huge, well over 50 foot. It is all those cold storms coming out of the states and Canada which are the cause of the high speed of the jet stream, it in turn sucks the air up into it and that in turn causes a depression, which deepens as come across the warmer waters of the Eastern Atlantic Ocean, which are still at 12C in parts. Enjoy the snow and we'll just have to be doing with your left overs here, though looking out the window at the Reeks and there is a fair bit of snow on Carrauntoohil and the other higher mountains there and I expect there will be much more but tomorrow morning.

Reagrds Wez

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Galway is flooded out even way worse than last week,very windy and yet we have a lower warning than last weeks event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Times of tides for various locations available from here:

http://pocketsizetides.com/index.php#tides

Of course these are the predicted levels and don't take into account the influence of weather events such as today's.

Have to say the media coverage in Ireland is pathetic.

No warnings , no reports and no mention of what is to come Monday morning.

What's the point of RtE having a 24 hour news channel if it won't show the news ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Have you tried watching the weather forecast?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Aerohead wrote: »

THERE IS A THREAD DEDICATED TO MET E , PLEASE DISCUSS THERE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Heavy rain coupled with strong winds, gust iro 120kph, her in Kerry

Some minor coastal flooding.

Kerry rescue services were called to rescue a driver from his car in Ballylongford who was trapped in a flood.

Media Reports, Alerts are very poor in Ireland. UK media alerts appear to be more informative.??

Some risk of continuation of stormy weather forecast on boards.ie.

Met Eireann forecasting another stormy day.

What am I missing?

The knowledgeable members who post here will update as things become clearer and Met Eireann will update their forecast as things become clearer too.

The various local radio stations are reporting local conditions and there is some coverage in the various national media too.

There are parts of the country suffering from flooding but nothing like the scale of events seen in the UK recently.

I think the coverage is appropriate and proportional to the situation. Each media organisation will decide its own editorial agenda. Why don't you contsct the various media organisations and discuss your concerns with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭alderdeer

I couldn't agree more, I turned in the tv earlier and tv3 had a little snipit of the damage around the country but they had nearly 10 minutes showing people how to fold cardboard boxes for the bin left over from the Christmas. But then I suppose we don't matter as much here in Galway as compared to Dublin

Tactical wrote: »
    Some risk of continuation of stormy weather forecast on boards.ie.

Met Eireann forecasting another stormy day.

What am I missing?

The knowledgeable members who post here will update as things become clearer and Met Eireann will update their forecast as things become clearer too.

Full marks to all the knowledgeable members here on Boards. Your contributions have been invaluable.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Heavy rain coupled with strong winds, gust iro 120kph, her in Kerry

Some minor coastal flooding.

Kerry rescue services were called to rescue a driver from his car in Ballylongford who was trapped in a flood.

Media Reports, Alerts are very poor in Ireland. UK media alerts appear to be more informative.??

BBC and Sky have 24 hour news channels available for lengthy and "in depth" reports etc. A lot of their stuff is repetitive and at times way over-hyped. RTE and TV 3 forecasts may be less dramatic but I don't feel uninformed.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

That's because Monday is too far away, in meteorological terms, to be certain as to what might happen. It may just simply be a run of the mill windy winters day.

alderdeer wrote: »
    I couldn't agree more, I turned in the tv earlier and tv3 had a little snipit of the damage around the country but they had nearly 10 minutes showing people how to fold cardboard boxes for the bin left over from the Christmas. But then I suppose we don't matter as much here in Galway as compared to Dublin

Agree, when the Dart and Luas can't operate due to weather , it becomes a National Emergency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

What is going on tomorrow morning?

14010406_0306.gif

14010412_0306.gif

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement