Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atlantic Storm Watch & Coastal Flooding Events: January 2014

Options

Comments

First Up wrote: »
    BBC and Sky have 24 hour news channels available for lengthy and "in depth" reports etc. A lot of their stuff is repetitive and at times way over-hyped. RTE and TV 3 forecasts may be less dramatic but I don't feel uninformed.

And RTE has a 24 hour news channel for what?

Showing interviews about Anchorman at present!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

alderdeer wrote: »
    I couldn't agree more, I turned in the tv earlier and tv3 had a little snipit of the damage around the country but they had nearly 10 minutes showing people how to fold cardboard boxes for the bin left over from the Christmas.

How is wall to wall coverage of people's houses and businesses being flooded going to help them or anybody else? What's the point? It's happened and no tabloid style TV coverage will undo it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

The thunder and lightening here in Blessington, co. Wicklow was something else, around 4am, I thought the window was going to come in. The dog barked for over 3 hours, never heard him do that before, I had to go and sit with him, so everyone else could sleep. Definitely far worse here than Stephens night.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

And RTE has a 24 hour news channel for what?

Showing interviews about Anchorman at present!

It just re-cycles earlier stuff with RSS feeds. Not in the same league.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

What is going on tomorrow morning?

I don't know...but I like it! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Just a few pictures I took in Salthill in the last hour - the clean up is well underway and most of the floodwater has receded.

89E069BB-704E-4CED-9093-56E22BCFB49F-3218-0000029EF396F333_zpsa3aebf88.jpg
    2116328B-0974-4B67-B011-F572DA7B1CD0-3218-000002A28B4E81F2_zpsc702e1fb.jpg
    Storm Debris Litters The Prom

6DC318AF-63DA-4C21-8C6F-EA5B0C7524D9-3218-000002A1CE0C1232_zps13aa70cf.jpg5D14D8A2-0EA8-4937-BC6E-153C7FDC097F-3218-0000029F7A87D814_zps2c681434.jpg
    Flooding at Leisureland - some of the firemen are up to their waists.

08CA2BB1-03AD-47FD-BDB0-B5EAD889B2FE-3218-000002A1A1EAB0FF_zps38e4d88b.jpg
    Part of Salthill Prom torn up by the waves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

14010406_0306.gif

14010412_0306.gif

I was in Spain for Christmas, 10 days glorious sunshine 23 degrees. Heck can't take any more of this crap weather. Time to get out of here again:)

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭RoisinD

Lahinch: bottom car park completely under water

1497783_694234307275258_145462281_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

DOCARCH wrote: »
    How is wall to wall coverage of people's houses and businesses being flooded going to help them or anybody else? What's the point? It's happened and no tabloid style TV coverage will undo it.

Agreed. BBC had a piece this morning from Cornwall. They interviewed a restaurant owner whose premises had been flooded to the depth of ONE INCH. He was pretty sanguine about it, much to the disappointment of the interviewer.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭kerrywez

irish1967 wrote: »
    Donegal Town at high tide this morning.

Those two with the discover Ireland in them are well class, just about sums up Ireland and what you would discover in the past two months or so. Great pics thanks for posting them.

Regards Wez

• Advertisement

Agree, when the Dart and Luas can't operate due to weather , it becomes a National Emergency.

Well, only if it was the Green Luas line...:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

It's windy here in North Dublin but the sun is shining! Any storms on their way here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭mumo3

loubian wrote: »
    It's windy here in North Dublin but the sun is shining! Any storms on their way here?

Same here in West Dublin stuck the washing out though!! May aswell take advantage of high winds and sunshine lol :P

• Registered Users Posts: 24,052 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Since the start of the storm train, the warnings have given good solid 24hr alerts about the risks, with high accuracy. No point giving Irish people 72hr red alert warnings about anything, it will diminish its effect, and with mobile weather like this you need to be within the 24hr period for accuracy.

Personally the weather that arrived was fairly bang on as described a day before

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Check out the Galway advertiser Facebook page for pictures of Salthill this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Steopo

When you're in the middle of a storm or directly affected by it you're perspective is going to be impacted but when you stand back and look over the last few days in my view forecasts & warnings were spot on - ME had an orange warning and called the winds spot on (as Maq said earlier) and highlighted the risk of coastal flooding in south west & west due to high tides & rain, local councils in Cork, Galway & Dublin all issued alerts on the possibility of tidal flooding, was main headline on rte yesterday & this morning and is still main headline on rte.ie, orange warning remains in place, read 1st 10 pages of this thread and all the inputs were there. The difference between this storm and last few is not the severity but the high tide which caused some unfortunate flooding for those affected but it was well flagged. On the Dublin bias - there's more population & more media based there so obviously when it happens in Dublin it does get hyped because they're perspective is blurred as they're in the middle of it

Looks like Mondays huge waves may be a bit further out to sea so hopefully not as bad as it was looking yesterday

http://magicseaweed.com/UK-Ireland-Surf-Chart/1/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭highdef

14010406_0306.gif

14010412_0306.gif

What model and run is that from? I can't find these charts anywhere, as mouth watering as they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,016 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

highdef wrote: »
    What model and run is that from? I can't find these charts anywhere, as mouth watering as they are.

The NAE I believe

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/expertcharts?LANG=en&MENU=0000000000&CONT=ukuk&MODELL=nae&MODELLTYP=1&BASE=-&VAR=prty&HH=30&ZOOM=0&ARCHIV=0&RES=0&WMO=

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

14010406_0306.gif

14010412_0306.gif

i'll take it!!!! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭pad199207

Met eireann hinting at potential wintry precipitation for the NW and the E tomorrow as temps struggle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Right I'm heading off for a (safe) stroll to see if the high tide (12:47) is anything special in Sandymount, I'll report anything out of the ordinary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

High tides at 12.30. Im going to check out the River Dodder tidal flood defence...:)

Agree, when the Dart and Luas can't operate due to weather , it becomes a National Emergency.

Probably more due to the massive numbers inconvenienced. It's not as important when the 6 people who use something like the WRC have to get a minibus instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭highdef

It's hugely borderline but if that NAE model verifies, there looks to be the guts of an inch of water precip equivalent across a big slice of the middle of the country in a SW to NE direction. Temperatures on that current NAE run would suggest you'd need to be 150m or so ASL but a lot of the midlands are at around the 100m ASL height so it's not unfathomable that it could cause issues. I'd wait for the afternoon charts to roll in before getting worried in any way though.
    However I would say higher routes (say above 250/300m) could be pasted and you would expect maybe 6" - 12" of lying snow, depending on altitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭kerrywez

Highest gust was 133 at Mace Head, second highest was 122 at Belmullet. It seems to me the warning of 130 km/h gusts was bang on.

Taken, actually copied and pasted on here, from the ME site, here is the reason behind issuing a red warning, it is no only for wind and please take note where it says, in the exact words "The issue of RED level severe weather warnings should be a comparatively rare event and implies that recipients take action to protect themselves and/or their properties;" Not anywhere is there a mention of wind in there, nor any mention of what speed the, non mentioned, wind should be for the issuing of a red alert.

Below is the actual explanation of the reason for issuing a red alert

STATUS RED - Severe Weather Warning - Take Action

The issue of RED level severe weather warnings should be a comparatively rare event and implies that recipients take action to protect themselves and/or their properties; this could be by moving their families out of the danger zone temporarily; by staying indoors; or by other specific actions aimed at mitigating the effects of the weather conditions.

I would suggest that being drowned or trapped in floods a good enough reason for a red warning, but what do I know, it is for the "experts" to decide.

I would like to take this opportunity to explain a few things here, apart from not trusting ME, I do not trust the weather from any of the following sources RTE, TV3, ITV/UTV/STV, Channel 4, Ch5. How can they all put a different spin on what they get from ME and the UKMO, they all get the same advice, but all interpret it differently, so much so that you would think that they are producing the data themselves and they were in differing countries.

So all who would like us who complain about ME to shut up, perhaps it would be better to have said that list of TV stations are the sources which are not to be trusted. Having said that, it is ME who is responsible for issuing a red alert when peoples lives or property are at risk, and on this occasion they abjectly failed to do so.

Regards Wez

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Mace head appears to be offline. I wonder did it suffer any damage? Seemed to be at it's worst around 5am when the tiles were rattling on the roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

highdef wrote: »
    It's hugely borderline but if that NAE model verifies, there looks to be the guts of an inch of water precip equivalent across a big slice of the middle of the country in a SW to NE direction. Temperatures on that current NAE run would suggest you'd need to be 150m or so ASL but a lot of the midlands are at around the 100m ASL height so it's not unfathomable that it could cause issues. I'd wait for the afternoon charts to roll in before getting worried in any way though.
    However I would say higher routes (say above 250/300m) could be pasted and you would expect maybe 6" - 12" of lying snow, depending on altitude.

It could go either way , NAE has the perfered option in my opinion , band of ppn going straight up through the country , but the NMM has it going more NE !

NAE has temps and dp just a tiny bit better too.
    287080.jpg

GOnna wait till the next runs to perhaps ask for 2moro off work! :pac::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Met Office have released a snow warning for NI tomorrow, sadly it doesn't include the Western third
    2014-1-4

Read in full http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1388793600&regionName=ni

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

I have to say I'm getting really bored of reading about how crap and useless both ME are and the Irish media are at warning the population about storms. What do some posters here want them to do? Have flash warning during every program on every station????

It is no wonder boards have lost so many good posters over the last few years. The amount of experts here, or should I say so called experts!!!

Rant over ........ Sat charts look interesting so far guys, I wounded how it will pan out :) All calm here now after last nights episode

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement