Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atlantic Storm Watch & Coastal Flooding Events: January 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭Mech1

Just drove through Sandymount, road won't be open much longer, starting to flood.
    Council / Civil defense at scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

A video from Twitter of Sandymount

http://instagram.com/p/itNITlOvyI/#

From Garda -Account
    Dublin Traffic - Sandymount Rd will be closed due to adverse weather conditions. Victoria Quay at Heuston Station outbound down to one lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭Mech1

much worse than that video shows

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Aerohead wrote: »
    I dont recall ever a storm like I heard and saw in Galway this morning, the noise of the wind screaming was something else, and looking at all the damage I feel so sorry for those that are flooded, there are some pictures on Galway Advertiser and Galway Independent facebooks.

Any thoughts on the red warning ??

This is one of the things I cannot understand about peoples perception of the weather (not aimed at you personally AH), in that when we actually do get a a bit of weather it always is perceived to be the worst ever experienced. The media are the same, they make such a big deal out of them. I would be 90% sure that the storm in late Dec 2006, and quite a few since, was much worse in Galway City than this morning's one. Though I live inland in the county, I have yet to recorded higher wind speeds this winter than from the events we had in Dec 2012 and Jan 2013, and I would seriously doubt that it would be much different in town either.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Kerrywez, there has already been a mod warning to discuss perceived Met Eireann forecasting failings in this dedicated thread and not to derail this one by doing so here - any more such posts in this thread will be deleted
    kerrywez wrote: »
    I would suggest that being drowned or trapped in floods a good enough reason for a red warning, but what do I know, it is for the "experts" to decide.

Personally speaking, regarding this event, No one drowned, no one was trapped for any length of time in floods, at least not here in the west which bore the brunt of the high winds and tidal surge. It was a typical Atlantic storm combined with high tides and was well flagged in advance. All of the city councils in areas likely to be affected by the tidal surge issued detailed warning yesterday afternoon/evening well in advance of the event. There was no major devastation and most of the storm debris has now been cleared. This is all part and parcel of living on the Atlantic coast
    As you cited yourself
    "The issue of RED level severe weather warnings should be a comparatively rare event and implies that recipients take action to protect themselves and/or their properties;"

This was not a rare event, having lived in Galway most of my life I've seen and experienced far worse. The Orange Warning was perfectly adequate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

OT on the aviation forum http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=88277865&postcount=1545 Go to actual thread for more.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

From Garda Twitter Account
    Dublin Traffic - Sean Moore Road to East Link Bridge now closed in both directions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Liffey has flooded down around Ringsend

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2014/01/03/liffey-tide-drama/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Very large area of phenomenal seas forecast for Sunday night/Monday morning.

Currently (In metres) :

csJYdTH.png

Early Monday :

4OFjlfe.png

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Steopo

As Blondie says the tide is high but we're holding on

Dublin City Council has closed the following roads because of high tides:
    · Victoria Quay
    · Wolfe Tone Quay
    · City Quay
    · John Rogerson’s Quay
    · Strand Road, Sandymount
    · The East Link Bridge

The situation will be reviewed shortly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,050 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The high tide is within 1 metre of being flush with the bottom deck of the East Pier in Dun Laoghaire, never seen that before in 30+ years, expect DART disruption due to back up of drains at Seapoint, Salthill, Sandycove-Glenageary and maybe Dalkey- Killiney

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Melanoma

The flying and landing of planes while flying in the jet stream generated winds is risky. I think more cancellations would be more prudent. Pilots are being pushed to the limit and are flying against their better judgement as is airports due to pressures from airlines. One crash and it might change. Big business is under pressure to make profits and cut fares and airlines are not immune to going bust. Consolidation in the market though has made some airlines extremely powerful.

Best advice is to close eyes, relax, smile and elevate breathing slightly on landing being mentally prepared to get out in the case of fire whist landed. You've got seconds to make it out. If you concentrate on being calm and reacting its easier than thinking about other consequences.

If possible reassure others but use minimum words.

kerrywez wrote: »
    A lot of the people, who are much better versed in forecasting than me, will use wind speed for the reason for not issuing a red alert, or any colour for that matter. Would you please tell me where it states, anywhere in the ME explanation of the alert system and the issuing of a red one in particular, the word wind, never mind speeds of 130kph or any speed for that matter?

Regards Wez
    Weather Element Criteria for Red - Severe Weather Warnings

Gusts Speeds in excess of 130 km/h

All the criteria for all the types of warnings are on here.

http://www.met.ie/nationalwarnings/warnings-explained.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

Very large area of phenomenal seas forecast for Sunday night/Monday morning.

Currently (In metres) :

csJYdTH.png

Early Monday :

4OFjlfe.png

Mother of god greater then 14 metres. I was reading a couple of posts from a day or two ago about this storm,the feeling was that it was going to peak way out in the Atlantic, is that why its gonna produce such incredible wave heights or has the storm dynamic changed.... Also is this storm remnants of the nor' easterly currently battering much of the northeast USA?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Cogsy88

2i1pd81.jpg

Coast road clontarf!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

yop wrote: »
    Found it bad enough last night in Castlebar.
    Talking to Dad there and said they are blocked in in Louisburgh as main road to Westport is closed.
    Quays in Westports closed due to flooding. Castlebar road to Newport closed due to flooding.
    Moy burst banks in Ballina so a lot of flooding.
    Road to Carraholly in Westport is closed as the bridge was swept away.

Seems to have caused a lot more structural damage this time.

That's great, I live 4 miles outside Newport on the castlebar road. We have to go to ballina at 4 so I hope it clears a bit. Newport to castlebar road is flooded even in a light shower, can hear cars passing now so maybe its open again.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

Nice little video of storm damage done to Lahinch, the prom is still under water

On Randaddys Lahinch FB page sorry I can't link!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Just a question.. We had over topping of sea defences in Donegal Town this morning at 6:44am. What does 7:15pm high tide hold in store ?? And what should we expect for Sunday/Monday. Both my employments really need to know how high tides will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭lolie

Very windy here last night, sustained winds easily as strong as the 26th.
    Had to take a detour this morning.

287092.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Cogsy88

Here's another one from the causeway, bull island. Got me finger in the way.33bcw9j.jpg

• Advertisement

howlinwolf wrote: »
    Mother of god greater then 14 metres. I was reading a couple of posts from a day or two ago about this storm,the feeling was that it was going to peak way out in the Atlantic, is that why its gonna produce such incredible wave heights or has the storm dynamic changed.... Also is this storm remnants of the nor' easterly currently battering much of the northeast USA?

One of the forecast models yesterday was predicting 28 metre waves at the K4 buoy. Yeah same system that is currently off the east coast of the US. It will peak out in the Atlantic, as a very large low, so winds won't be too severe here but the sea will already be in motion so coastal flooding will again be a concern, even though the astronomical tides won't be quite as high on Monday as they are now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

I thought last night was rougher for winds than the 26/27 storm (which seemed a little overhyped if I am honest). I slept thru all of the 26th storm. The high tide certainly didn't help in terms of damage from last night.

What were the max winds last night compared to 26th?

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭aboyro

big wave surfers from all over the world are getting ready to fly into europe for monday/tuesday. get ready to see a record broken. possibly in portugal again although the wind look good for the northwest on monday tuesday. 20ft at 20 seconds with south/southeast winds. Lord have mercy!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭RoisinD

aboyro wrote: »
    big wave surfers from all over the world are getting ready to fly into europe for monday/tuesday. get ready to see a record broken. possibly in portugal again although the wind look good for the northwest on monday tuesday. 20ft at 20 seconds with south/southeast winds. Lord have mercy!!!!!!

Hopefully they stay away. A surfer had to be assisted at Lahinch yesterday.
    http://www.doolincoastguard.com/category/blog#2989

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭RoisinD

Photos from Lahinch and Doolin on the facebook page of the Clare People.
    https://www.facebook.com/theclarepeople?fref=ts

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭kerrywez

All the criteria for all the types of warnings are on here.

http://www.met.ie/nationalwarnings/warnings-explained.asp

Many thanks for pointing me in the right direction, now I fully see where you are coming from when you quote the wind speeds. I stand corrected and wish to sincerely offer you my apologies, I can be contrite, humble and genuine in my apologies to you and other who may have felt I was putting too much emphasis on winds speeds and I did not even read the ME explanation, in totality. I trust that you and anyone else who may have felt I was getting a them, over this wind speed issue, will consider this matter closed, I accept that I was totally wrong and should have read to the bottom of the page.

Just of the phone and a friend who is in his 4x4 is at Cromane and the road was partially washed away and a lot f damage done. I would be there to get some pics, but have to go to have a MRI done on my knee, so can't get down there. Apparently Jack's Restaurant and pub were flooded, as were some of the houses, and a lot of debris washed into houses and front gardens. He is now moving to other parts, will report on what he tells me.

Regards Wez

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭aboyro

RoisinD wrote: »
    Hopefully they stay away. A surfer had to be assisted at Lahinch yesterday.
    http://www.doolincoastguard.com/category/blog#2989

we're not talking about the same type of surfer here rosin. although glad to read that person was ok.

Melanoma wrote: »
    Best advice is to close eyes, relax, smile and elevate breathing slightly on landing being mentally prepared to get out in the case of fire whist landed. You've got seconds to make it out. If you concentrate on being calm and reacting its easier than thinking about other consequences.
    When was the last landing ending in fire caused by wind for a European airline?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭microsim

castle.jpg

Minard Castle, Lispole, Dingle, Co Kerry this morning. From http://www.broadsheet.ie/2014/01/03/stone-walls-and-the-grass-is-green/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement