Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atlantic Storm Watch & Coastal Flooding Events: January 2014

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

that's exactly the problem. Im sure these are a Europe wide standard but maybe we should have an extra warning during high tide. People who were not flooded during the previous storm may well have thought they were safe and got caught off guard last night.

Agreed. Coastal flooding due to high tides (even though the tides themselves are not meteorological) probably does need to be added, specifically, to the ME warning system.

Having said that, ME did give out lots of warnings, for the last couple of days, highlighting the risk of coastal flooding (as a result of high winds combined with high tides).

I heard one business owner in Cork City on the radio this morning (who's premises was flooded) say that he could not fault the advance warnings he was given.

Unfortunately you cannot move buildings out of the way of flooding...but...as pointed out earlier, nobody has been injured or died as a result, so I would suggest the warnings given were more than sufficient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

More photos from Laytown an hour ago.
    No cleanup starting until Tuesday!

Hi Orion Repulsive Stinger

Great pics any chance you could put up a pic say taken in the summer (normal view in other words) from the same prospective? Just so we can compare. Love where you live btw. Worth a 12 yearly flooded garden for that view alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Was in Dublin city centre at lunch (heading across to Maplins to get a weather station as it happens!). Picture of Beckett Bridge was around 12.20 - by the time I was down near the Custom House the guards had closed City Quay. Pictures of O'Connell Bridge probably around 12.45pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭mumo3

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Was in Dublin city centre at lunch (heading across to Maplins to get a weather station as it happens!). Picture of Beckett Bridge was around 12.20 - by the time I was down near the Custom House the guards had closed City Quay. Pictures of O'Connell Bridge probably around 12.45pm.

Amazing pics so want to just head to the coast now to watch it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

Macy0161 wrote: »

I only ever remember like that once before when I was a kid, about 20 years ago, scared the bejaysus out of me, I hated water when I was younger cause I couldn't swim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

I don't know how to share stuff on this Flickr thing, so I'll include the link and hope it works. The sea took plenty here last night.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/111758162@N02/sets/72157639347959896/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

I don't know how to share stuff on this Flickr thing, so I'll include the link and hope it works. The sea took plenty here last night.

That's Fecken mental looking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

I am about an hour inland from the east coast, and was thinking of getting the bus out to have a look at the sea! Would it be worth it? Or will it have calmed down a bit? Don't want to make an unnecessary journey especially as I'll have a baby with me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Melanoma

That's awful. Hope they can fix things up.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

loubian wrote: »
    I am about an hour inland from the east coast, and was thinking of getting the bus out to have a look at the sea! Would it be worth it? Or will it have calmed down a bit? Don't want to make an unnecessary journey especially as I'll have a baby with me!

Wouldn't be the most prudent thing to do with a baby. Seriously.

There are still heavy gusts and swells about.

Stay at home is my advice.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Winds have picked up again here in the last hour gusting to 60km/h. We had the lot this morning with sunshine, rain and hail. Very dark here now with some beefy showers coming in from the SW.

www.waterfordcityweather.com

The cars in Salthill car park after last night were in bits..
    Looked like a fiesta had been turned over... back axel of a BMW looked mangled. They were all covered in seaweed waiting to be towed away..

Bad start to the new year for some..

Melanoma wrote: »
    That's awful. Hope they can fix things up.

Yeah I was on to our local TD and he's hoping to get out here for a look in the morning. Things are supposed to be bad back the road from here too but I am stuffed with bronchitis so I'm not venturing too far from base.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

vicwatson wrote: »
    Wouldn't be the most prudent thing to do with a baby. Seriously.

There are still heavy gusts and swells about.

Stay at home is my advice.

That's what I was thinking! Just thought I'd check!

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Steopo

loubian wrote: »
    I'm sure the sea will still be there when the baby grows up :). All the pics you're seeing are from high tide, the tide is going out now and won't be back on east coast until after dark, winds are dying down and will ease off later so definitely not worth it to see stormy seas on the east coast.On the other hand if you want to see beautiful beaches & go for swim, highly recommend the cliff walk between Donabate & Portrane followed by a quick dip.

Monday morning on the other hand might be worth a trip to the west coast with a surf board - best leave the baby on the shore :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Winds have picked up again here in the last hour gusting to 60km/h. We had the lot this morning with sunshine, rain and hail. Very dark here now with some beefy showers coming in from the SW.

www.waterfordcityweather.com

Still some serious wind just offshore. Kinsale Platform reporting 52kts gusting 70kts at 1400 (with 8.1m high seas).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

UsBus wrote: »
    The cars in Salthill car park after last night were in bits..
    Looked like a fiesta had been turned over... back axel of a BMW looked mangled. They were all covered in seaweed waiting to be towed away..

Bad start to the new year for some..

Easy be wise after the event I know but seriously why on earth would you leave your car parked over night/that evening in a such a high risk spot? Especially after cars were damaged last week there as well. It was fairly well flagged there was going to be another storm last night, I know myself and I don't even live near the coast/river I'd never park the car in a spot like that.

Some amazing pics from twitter!!

All from Dublin today incl. east link bridge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Still some serious wind just offshore. Kinsale Platform reporting 52kts gusting 70kts at 1400 (with 8.1m high seas).

Yep that will come in to the southeast for a time this evening, would not be surprised to see some 60kt gusts down there from it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Yeah I was on to our local TD and he's hoping to get out here for a look in the morning.

No better man to fix the roads. If you ever have any sons, make sure you tell them that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭black_frosch

mumo3 wrote: »
    Some amazing pics from twitter!!
    287125.jpg
    All from Dublin today incl. east link bridge
    This impressive! Loading my camera now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Hi InstaSte

Great pics any chance you could put up a pic say taken in the summer (normal view in other words) from the same prospective? Just so we can compare. Love where you live btw. Worth a 12 yearly flooded garden for that view alone.

Sure! This was taken at the annual Laytown races, first week of September this year. (Think it was the 9th). It's a very tidal beach.

Yep that will come in to the southeast for a time this evening, would not be surprised to see some 60kt gusts down there from it!

Those sort of winds blowing into the south Irish Sea, if sustained, could mean that the water level associated with the next high tide along the east coast/Irish Sea coasts could even be higher than the last high tide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭LordNorbury

The Liffey this afternoon at Heuston Station...
    287128.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Can imagine the chaos on a Friday evening around Dublin city centre it will cause...:(

ThisRegard wrote: »
    No better man to fix the roads. If you ever have any sons, make sure you tell them that.

That is the system in Ireland. While it remains the system only a fool wouldn't use it in such a situation.

If you don't mind me asking but where are them photos from?
    Great photos btw

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

That is the system in Ireland. While it remains the system only a fool wouldn't use it in such a situation.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement