Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atlantic Storm Watch & Coastal Flooding Events: January 2014

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

Thats only relative to gusts recorded at that headland. I think most people would rate the most 'powerful' storm the one that brought down the most trees and caused power outages in inland areas where people live. Strong gusts buffeting the exposed Atlantic headlands happen every winter and don't represent the conditions countrywide very well.

I don't see it that way, I would see trees falling as a cumulative effect following the back to back storms and the amount of rain we've had since November. I think the initial storms weakened the trees the high water table has turned the ground soil to 'bog' which made it easier for the follow-up storms to bowl them over.
    I have seen less powerful storms in Summer/Autumn knock many trees simply because the leaves on the tree act as a sail putting immense pressure on the trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Steopo

Jeez this weather lark is complicated - it's not necessarily the lowest pressure that causes the worst storms but tightness of gradient, it's not the strongest gust but breadth/direction of wind, it's not always the amount of rain but height of tide etc... etc..

No wonder ME have a hard time picking they're colours - I guess that's why they've a set criteria

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Could I just ask our expert weather guys here the question, when ME say that the strongest recorded wind gust from this storm was at Mace Head, do you not think that say for instance we could have had a hurricane gust of wind in Galway but sadly there is no weather instrument here to record it so as far as they are concerned Mace had the strongest wind yet Galway could have broken a record if they had a monitoring station here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Could I just ask our expert weather guys here the question, when ME say that the strongest recorded wind gust from this storm was at Mace Head, do you not think that say for instance we could have had a hurricane gust of wind in Galway but sadly there is no weather instrument here to record it so as far as they are concerned Mace had the strongest wind yet Galway could have broken a record if they had a monitoring station here.
    I am no expert but obviously yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭kerrywez

kerrywez wrote: »
    What is your problem with me mate, maybe you should take a few very deep breaths before you speak for everyone on here. You think your so smart, but that is you thinking that, not sure how may others would be inclined to agree with you.

Keep up your jibes at me if you wish, I got no gripe with you, or anyone else on here for that matter. I was trying to be helpful to some on here, not "experts" like you, but then again your just so smart you make the rest of us look like fools; NOT.

In future speak to me if I ask you a question and keep your remarks to yourself, you will get on much better that way.

Wez

Cut it out both of you. Personal abuse is not tolerated here whether there is provocation or not! Report posts you find objectionable, DO NOT RESPOND ON THREAD
    Final warning!

May I be as bold as to ask to whom, apart from me, this applies to, please? I ask because you have quoted only my post, but say cut it out the two of you. I feel that in the interests of fairness mine should not be the only post quoted, as you obviously think I am not the only one in the wrong, they it should be only even handed if that person has his post quoted also.

Regards Wez

Regards Wez

Banned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Storm 10 wrote: »

Well all they say is that was the highest recorded. They never mention that there may have been higher? Do they?
    There are stations in the Harbour, Newcastle, and Oranmore that I know of that may give you more data.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

The thread has slowed down a bit! Have things calmed down?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,354 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

@wez, he's clearly taking about the person you quoted in your post, but a pm to the mod lumi would probably serve you better than calling out in thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

loubian wrote: »

Nothing serious expected for Saturday, will pick up again on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

We had 20 mins of moderate gusts here in mayo about 2 or 3 hours ago but only rain since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭gugsy

Yes for a day and a half. Expect alot of threads tomorrow and the day after for sun-tue storm

I just read on the RTE news app that warnings were issued about excess surface water on the road between Castlebar and Newport, I drove to ballina today from Newport and the excess surface water was nothing worse than an average heavy shower. The road between ballavary and straide was seriously flooded though, very dangerous to travel on and no warning was issued.

corsav6 wrote: »
    I just read on the RTE news app that warnings were issued about excess surface water on the road between Castlebar and Newport, I drove to ballina today from Newport and the excess surface water was nothing worse than an average heavy shower. The road between ballavary and straide was seriously flooded though, very dangerous to travel on and no warning was issued.

What time was it, Newport had about 600 houses without power last night, plus that road is liable to flood even without a storm in places, but mainly in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Autorotation

Well all they say is that was the highest recorded. They never mention that there may have been higher? Do they?
    There are stations in the Harbour, Newcastle, and Oranmore that I know of that may give you more data.

There is a fairly extensive network of stations around the country so they will generally be fairly accurate with their data. That is not to day that a stronger gust couldn't occur say in a mountain gap / valley due to the Venturi effect, etc. however that is very localised.

Xenji wrote: »
    What time was it, Newport had about 600 houses without power last night, plus that road is liable to flood even without a storm in places, but mainly in the morning.

Was on the straide road around 4 and then again at 5:30 on the way back. I used to live in foxford while working in castlebar so I know a light shower can leave large pools of water, especially in the morning before traffic empties them. I'm about 4 miles outside Newport on the Castlebar road and we didn't suffer any power loss last night.
    We lived in an estate on rathbawn rd for 6 years and only moved a few months ago. The storms are on a completely different level out here. We were well sheltered in Castlebar and could only tell it was windy by watching the bins blow past the window. The house we live in now is frightening during a storm, the back gets hammered by the landscape funneling the wind straight at us.

corsav6 wrote: »
    Was on the straide road around 4 and then again at 5:30 on the way back. I used to live in foxford while working in castlebar so I know a light shower can leave large pools of water, especially in the morning before traffic empties them. I'm about 4 miles outside Newport on the Castlebar road and we didn't suffer any power loss last night.
    We lived in an estate on rathbawn rd for 6 years and only moved a few months ago. The storms are on a completely different level out here. We were well sheltered in Castlebar and could only tell it was windy by watching the bins blow past the window. The house we live in now is frightening during a storm, the back gets hammered by the landscape funneling the wind straight at us.

Yeah I am close to you and on top of a big hill and we get battered, it was on the ESB powercheck map that there was a fault in Newport around 04.00

Xenji wrote: »
    Yeah I am close to you and on top of a big hill and we get battered, it was on the ESB powercheck map that there was a fault in Newport around 04.00

I have friends living at the top of the hill on the old glenisland rd, near the wooden dentist's house and they get serious gusts. Its fairly high up and very exposed at the front.
    I'd say Newport town was affected last night, the clock on the radio was still correct this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Eileen Down

I Live thirty miles east of of the Vigo coast line of Galicia and the wind is blowing hard. I'm feeling very grateful to have a forrest close to our house as it seems to be taking all the strength of the storm. All shutters are down but I'm going to sleep with the window open a fraction just to enjoy all the noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭aisling86

Is there a new thread for Sunday/Monday considering this is so quiet?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Latest wave forecasts for Monday.

73ft at the K2 buoy (200km off the southwest coast).

6uuX3LL.png

85ft at the K4 buoy (180km off the northwest coast).

CILEo50.png

A sea state with waves above 45ft is classified as phenomenal, so these would be some serious waves. Obviously not as high closer to shore!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭tphase

Mace Head appears to be offline. I wonder did it suffer any damage? Seemed to be at it's worst around 5am when the tiles were rattling on the roof.
    phone lines were out in the area, back online since yesterday evening

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

aisling86 wrote: »
    Agreed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Latest wave forecasts for Monday.

73ft at the K2 buoy (200km off the southwest coast).

6uuX3LL.png

85ft at the K4 buoy (180km off the northwest coast).

CILEo50.png

A sea state with waves above 45ft is classified as phenomenal, so these would be some serious waves. Obviously not as high closer to shore!

The media have got hold of these wave prediction models and using them as storm warnings and scare mongering.

Look at this muppetry

http://www.joe.ie/news/current-affairs/pic-good-lord-look-at-the-storm-headed-our-way-tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

tphase wrote: »
    phone lines were out in the area, back online since yesterday evening

Mobile networks were out in some areas also, and some power outages.

Yellow wind warning now for Sunday morning to Sunday evening, though the strongest winds won't be until early Monday morning but they are likely to only be a little stronger, so we are not looking at a significant wind event, the main risk will be more coastal flooding.
    STATUS YELLOW

Wind Warning for Munster, Leinster, Connacht, Donegal, Monaghan and Cavan

Southeast winds mean speeds of 50 to 65 km/h with occasionally gust 95 to 110 km/h.

Issued:
    Saturday 04 January 2014 10:00
    Valid:
    Sunday 05 January 2014 08:00 to Sunday 05 January 2014 20:00

sparrowcar wrote: »
    The media have got hold of these wave prediction models and using them as storm warnings and scare mongering.

Look at this muppetry

http://www.joe.ie/news/current-affairs/pic-good-lord-look-at-the-storm-headed-our-way-tomorrow

Brilliant, even got the cows flying through the air. I love the swell/storm diagram, so detailed and informative.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭RoisinD

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭RoisinD

aisling86 wrote: »

Those with greater knowledge will be here to keep us up to date, as they always are 365 days of the year, as it gets nearer Sunday night. When things get more predicable they will share their expertise. The reason the thread is quieter is there are not so many posts asking 'what will it be like in my back garden?' or commenting on the fact that their bin lid just wobbled' :D

It is good to have all the early January storms in one thread. In future when we need to search all the highlights will be in one thread and much easier to find.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭mumo3

It's all a bit calm out there now!! I reckon it will fizzle out before he gets near land!! But just in case

• Advertisement

One of the largest Atlantic lows I've seen in some time. Windfield spans the Atlantic.

The strongest winds will peak way out at sea, by the time it reaches here it will still be a huge low, but the winds will have weakened to gales/strong gales on the coast. The only significant concern will be of more coastal flooding from the large and very long fetch waves, but tides won't be quite as high on Monday, so hopefully it won't be as bad the previous flooding.

tYh5KZW.png

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement