Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atlantic Storm Watch & Coastal Flooding Events: January 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

One of the largest Atlantic lows I've seen in some time. Windfield spans the Atlantic.

The strongest winds will peak way out at sea, by the time it reaches here it will still be a huge low, but the winds will have weakened to gales/strong gales on the coast. The only significant concern will be of more coastal flooding from the large and very long fetch waves, but tides won't be quite as high on Monday, so hopefully it won't be as bad the previous flooding.

tYh5KZW.png
    that is absolutely massive, think we dodged a bullet to some degree with it peaking way out in the atlantic, still if I lived on the west coast id have one eye on the sea...scrap that id have both

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭aboyro

there is a wave field of 50feet plus waves associated with this storm and this field is the size of iberia:eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I'm due to get the Rosslare Fishguard ferry tomorrow night at 9pm. I will be travelling from Donegal in order to catch the ferry but don't want to bother setting off and end stranded in Wexford for a couple of days! What is the likelihood of swell on that route tomorrow evening does anyone know? Any advice much appreciated!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Merkin wrote: »
    I'm due to get the Rosslare Fishguard ferry tomorrow night at 9pm. I will be travelling from Donegal in order to catch the ferry but don't want to bother setting off and end stranded in Wexford for a couple of days! What is the likelihood of swell on that route tomorrow evening does anyone know? Any advice much appreciated!!

4-6m waves, very rough.

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/coastal.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Great! Hopefully it will be cancelled and I will have a bonus day in the North West, thank you Maquiladora!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Merkin wrote: »
    Great! Hopefully it will be cancelled and I will have a bonus day in the North West, thank you Maquiladora!

Ferries don't get cancelled for rough seas, the ship will sail barring extreme conditions at the port etc.

Ferries don't get cancelled for rough seas, the ship will sail barring extreme conditions at the port etc.

Swift ferry from Dublin is cancelled tomorrow and the Rosslare crossings are listed as In Doubt for tomorrow after 6:45am. Stenna website only has status of todays crossings though.

http://www.irishferries.com/uk-en/sailing-update/

have we a name on this storm yet? the stephens day storm was erich iirc??

Met Eireann have added a bit more detail to the yellow warning, which covers 8am-6pm tomorrow.

STATUS YELLOW

Wind Warning for Munster, Leinster, Connacht, Donegal, Monaghan and Cavan

Becoming windy again on Sunday morning with strong and blustery southeast winds veering southwest, mean speeds of 50 to 65km/hr and occasional gusts of 90 to 110km/hr especially in coastal areas. A spell of heavy rain also, with further very high tides and high seas and the continuing danger of coastal flooding.

Further severe winds expected later Sunday night and Monday, details will follow in warning updates.

Issued:
    Saturday 04 January 2014 16:00
    Valid:
    Sunday 05 January 2014 08:00 to Sunday 05 January 2014 18:00

Nothing too severe, gales on the coasts.

14010509_0412.gif
    14010512_0412.gif

Stronger winds arriving in the southwest then in the early hours of Monday morning. No warning for that period yet.

14010603_0412.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Swift ferry from Dublin is cancelled tomorrow and the Rosslare crossings are listed as In Doubt for tomorrow after 6:45am. Stenna website only has status of todays crossings though.

http://www.irishferries.com/uk-en/sailing-update/

Must be just the Ulysses that sails in anything!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

As someone thats made that crossing before in a state I wouldnt wish on my worst enemy, may I suggest you bring along a pack of these just in case :pac:

287299.JPG

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Is Lahinch going to take another battering tomorrow night? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,184 ✭✭✭pad199207

angelfire9 wrote: »

I would imagine so I'm afraid.
    Liscannor pier was badly damaged I heard. The road to Lahinch was cut off at the estuary.
    I also heard Clahan point has been redesigned by the sea!

angelfire9 wrote: »

Probably Monday morning more than tomorrow night. Winds shouldn't be as strong as previous storms but seas will be high, hopefully not as bad as last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Supercell wrote: »
    As someone thats made that crossing before in a state I wouldnt wish on my worst enemy, may I suggest you bring along a pack of these just in case :pac:

287299.JPG

Yeah, good call.

Also, if possible, keep your feet off the ground, as in raised somewhere, maybe on another seat (shoes off though!) that can really help too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

The cruise ferries were canx last week for a day due to the weather

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Oh? The Rosslare Pembroke has been cancelled for a quite a few days recently due to weather conditions on the route, and the sailings on Sunday and Monday are "in doubt" at the moment.

As per site

Sat 4th January 08.30 hours.

Irish Ferries regret to advise that due to an adverse weather forecast, the following sailings on the Rosslare Pembroke are in doubt.

Rosslare to Pembroke Sunday 5th Jan at 08.45 hours.

Pembroke to Rosslare Sunday 5th Jan at 14.45 hours.

Rosslare to Pembroke Sunday 5th Jan at 20.45 hours.

Pembroke to Rosslare Monday 6th Jan at 02.45 hours.

Additionally, the following sailings have yet to be confirmed.

Rosslare to Pembroke Monday 6th Jan at 08.45 hours.

Pembroke to Rosslare Monday 6th Jan at 14.45 hours.

Rosslare to Pembroke Monday 6th Jan at 20.45 hours.

Pembroke to Rosslare Tuesday 7th Jan at 02.45 hours.

This information is available on line for all Irish Ferries routes at
    http://www.irishferries.com/ie-en/sailing-update/

Online check for Stena,
    http://www.stenaline.ie/ferries-to-britain/latest-sailing-updates

Irish Ferries tend to try to give a bit of advance warning as above if sailings are in doubt, Stena also have a facility to check on line to see what's happening as per the link above, but it's less informative.

From experience, the most reliable ferry is the Irish Ferries Ulysses, on Holyhead Dublin route, due to the size of that ferry, it has the best record for sailing almost regardless of weather, a while back, it was the only ferry operating for nearly a week due to storms, every other route was cancelled, or (far worse) unable to dock so forced to sail around going nowhere until they could get into port, one of the Rosslare route ferries was caught offshore for 24 hours when it couldn't get into the UK side.

There is a new ferry operating Dublin Holyhead for Irish Ferries, the Epsilon, it's good bit smaller than the Ulysses, so the chances are higher that it will not sail. Stena also have 2 ferries on Dublin Holyhead, and they don't get cancelled very often. The fast ferries are not as reliable this time of the year, Stena is not operating anyway, and Irish Ferries Swift needs to be checked before leaving home, as it can be cancelled quite often this time of the year.

And before anyone asks, I don't work for a ferry company, or a port company, I just happen to use the ferries on a regular basis, so have had to get to grips with how the system works.

If you really have to go, then your better option may be to try and transfer to the Dublin Holyhead route, even though it will mean a longer journey the other side, the more frequent sailings may mean that you won't have to change the overall schedule that much, as there are sailings at better times that are not available from Rosslare.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

aboyro wrote: »
    have we a name on this storm yet? the stephens day storm was erich iirc??
    next one is called Christine

Supercell wrote: »

287299.JPG

Another great one for sea sickness is Panadol, was on a ferry before and ask at reception for some as I wasnt the greatest and thats what I got, cleared me up in a few minutes, also sitting at the back of the ship and on the lowest pax deck is very good

Does anybody have any word how Kilmore Quay in Wexford is doing after tidal surge?

• Advertisement

pad199207 wrote: »
    Does anybody have any word how Kilmore Quay in Wexford is doing after tidal surge?

Some rocks were carried over the wall by the waves but I didn't hear of any damage done.

helicopter R117 posted a video on facebook last night of the quay. a pretty big trawler had its ropes under strain of the surge in the pier and the waves coming over the wall

helicopter R117 posted a video on facebook last night of the quay. a pretty big trawler had its ropes under strain of the surge in the pier and the waves coming over the wall

Would you have a link by any chance? I dont have a facebook account

it was'nt a youtube link or anything. looked like it was a mobile phone upload, i'll try dig it up for you though. swell peaking in lahinch BTW around 9am monday morning 27ft at 21 seconds. south east coast around lunchtime monday.

it was'nt a youtube link or anything. looked like it was a mobile phone upload, i'll try dig it up for you though. swell peaking in lahinch BTW around 9am monday morning 27ft at 21 seconds. south east coast around lunchtime monday.

Do you know what the peak swell at Lahinch was during the flooding? Just saw on the news how some of the coastal defences are badly damaged there now.

The sea in lahinch was breaking 800m inland between Liscannor and lahinch. Christ

2014010606_201401041740_1_stormforecast.xml.png
    For Ireland, parts of the UK and Scotland yet another intense extratropical cyclone approaches from the west. Behind the eastward moving occlusion, a brisk westerly flow regime is forecast. 850 hPa winds increase to 20-30 m/s from W to E. No convection is forecast until noon (Ireland) and 18Z (UK).
    This changes during the evening and overnight hours with the arrivial of a colder mid-layer air mass, enhanced BL moisture from a back-bent occlusion and numerous more or less pronounced mid-layer impulses. The strongest impulse likely crosses Ireland between 18-21Z and hits the North Sea between 00-06Z. Deeper updrafts with enhanced downward mixing are likely and as 850 hPa winds increase to aoa 30 m/s, severe to damaging wind gusts are once again forecast. This activity rapidly spreads east over the North Sea. There are some hints that once again convection could line up beneath those vorticity lobes (and attendant surface features), which could result in LEWP-ish structures. Concentrated swaths of severe wind gusts are possible with that kind of convection. Isolated tornadoes remain possible due to very strong BL shear and some LLCAPE (offshore and along westward facing coasts).

Not sure Maq. saw some serious pics of the pier at doolin though. i've been going there for years and i took a pick of my kids there this summer standing on probably a 5 ton rock. its now in the middle of the road. it was originally anout 15-20feet above the high tide mark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ellieh1

Any idea what kind of weather we are expecting tomorrow during the day in the West-Limerick area? I should be going to an outdoor event but am wondering if it could be cancelled?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement