Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atlantic Storm Watch & Coastal Flooding Events: January 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

logf5At.png

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭acassells80

logf5At.png

What areas are most at risk from Mondays storm?

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

aboyro wrote: »
    have we a name on this storm yet? the stephens day storm was erich iirc??
    pad199207 wrote: »
    next one is called Christine

My daughters 18th is on Monday and in her honour I'm renaming this one Sophie. like any good storm, she usually announces her presence with a lot of huffing and puffing, wailing and howling. Usually accompanied by copious amounts of precipitation, you're lucky if your house is still intact when she leaves

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

My daughters 18th is on Monday and in her honour I'm renaming this one Sophie. like any good storm, she usually announces her presence with a lot of huffing and puffing, wailing and howling. Usually accompanied by copious amounts of precipitation, your lucky if your house is still intact when she leaves

In that case I second that motion!!!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭aboyro

"Sophie's choice" it is then!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

This one from wales seems worth a share.

ZmeqITh.png

And at 6pm. Look at those isobars, we're lucky is at it's most intense phase on the other side of the Atlantic.

PPVA89.gif?31415

By the time it reaches here it's a very large low, with huge waves beneath it, but the winds are nowhere near as strong as they were earlier.

PPVG89.gif?31415

Very impressive.

2014-01-04-1815-gurt.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

As depressions go, it's magnificent if that isnt a misnomer!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Plenty of rain in that one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Had a drive around yesterday evening and saw quite a bit of damage, amongst other things cars washed into the sea, a pier badly damaged, sea walls knocked down and a coast road partially washed away. I don't know how the dynamics of coastal flooding work but hopefully with winds not as strong and high tide lower it won't be as bad tomorrow or Monday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,154 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Harps wrote: »
    Had a drive around yesterday evening and saw quite a bit of damage, amongst other things cars washed into the sea, a pier badly damaged, sea walls knocked down and a coast road partially washed away. I don't know how the dynamics of coastal flooding work but hopefully with winds not as strong and high tide lower it won't be as bad tomorrow or Monday

Do you mind me asking which bit of NW Donegal you're in? (assuming that's where you're talking about, going by your profile info!)

We've a house up that way - it's up on a hill, so in no danger, but I can only imagine the pounding the coastlline took. I'm half hoping to get up there next week, I hope that they didn't get too bad a hammering....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Is there any historical context to the west coast getting hit by a 50ft+ swell?

I know high tides will be around 50-60cm lower than the high tides this week but with that size swell, could there be significant flooding?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

This is rather worrying. I'm not convinced that the reduced wind will save coastal regions. That is a long sea fetch and the momentum of a very large swell is gonna smash into those already hit badly on Western coastline. Lahinch has no seawall now either. Potential for very dangerous sea surge moving well inland. I do hope people get out of the way just in case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭tfromkerry

Why are people playing down the next 2 days events , i think they will be worst than the last few days . There saying that we will be hit with a 70/80 ft tidal swell the size of france . Surely this must mean we will be flooded in most parts :eek::eek:

I do hope i am wrong but looking at the graph i dont think i will be . This same site had thur/fri graph as well and the color in and around us were light red , With colors around us for Monday morning black :eek::eek: 1555318_553670011389834_933557994_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Steopo

Looks to me like the tide in most areas on Mon morning will be just over a foot lower than Fri mornings high tide and winds could be 20km/30km less which is all good news. The bad news is that the tide is still very high by normal standards, the winds will be strong but most concerning is that waves coming in from that Atlantic storm are officially 'phenomenal' (i.e. over 14 metres high, out at sea at least but not very far off our shores and the west coast is the first thing they hit), also of concern is the speed it's coming at straight into South & West coasts and finally the breadth of those waves is huge. Looks to me like the really big waves will start hitting around 3am Mon morning and continue right through the morning with high tide expected along the West coast around 8.30. With sizeable damage already done to some areas on Fri there has to be real concern at this stage for Mon morning to coastal areas of South & West if no other reasons that we don't see those wave sizes often so it's unpredictable.

As that video of Wales shows the power of ocean waves is unreal so the biggest danger Sun/Mon is someone being swept out to sea so treat those waves with respect and stay well back of coastal cliffs, piers etc...

Steopo wrote: »
    Looks to me like the tide in most areas on Mon morning will be just over a foot lower than Fri mornings high tide and winds could be 20km/30km less which is all good news. The bad news is that the tide is still very high by normal standards, the winds will be strong but most concerning is that waves coming in from that Atlantic storm are officially 'phenomenal' (i.e. over 14 metres high, out at sea at least but not very far off our shores and the west coast is the first thing they hit), also of concern is the speed it's coming at straight into South & West coasts and finally the breadth of those waves is huge. Looks to me like the really big waves will start hitting around 3am Mon morning and continue right through the morning with high tide expected along the West coast around 8.30. With sizeable damage already done to some areas on Fri there has to be real concern at this stage for Mon morning to coastal areas of South & West if no other reasons that we don't see those wave sizes often so it's unpredictable.

As that video of Wales shows the power of ocean waves is unreal so the biggest danger Sun/Mon is someone being swept out to sea so treat those waves with respect and stay well back of coastal cliffs, piers etc...

I was going to head off out Monday morning to have a look :D , so body have any good suggestion i am in south kerry

A thing to remember too about Significant Sea Height is that is the average height of the highest 1/3 of the waves, so individual waves would be even higher.

Look at the size of that thing.

y1TOtpU.png

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Steopo

We got hit by a extra large wave in Tramore many years ago, no injuries but scary suff & lesson learned- don't just assume because the last ten waves haven't reached you the next one won't. With big waves you'll always get the freak wave that is higher than the rest or one wave catching up on the other and both crashing into the shore.

It is tempting to view and amazing to see the power but if you're going to do it I'd say do it from a height parallel to the shore but obviously with a good stretch of land between you and the ocean - that amazing photo posted earlier of Lahinch wave seemed to be taken from a safe position but can't be sure as I wasn't there. Definitely don't stand on the promenade front on looking at waves crashing over as in that Wales video.

As can be seen in UK sometimes the photo's just not worth it!
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-25602676

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

y1TOtpU.png

Is that Benjamin Franklin in the middle of it? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Miss Stormyseas

So I guess those of us living in Salthill will be wading to work on Monday morning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Truly Beautiful structure Maq. Makes you stand back and appreciate the wonder of all weather and it's sheer power.
    Just heard Siobhán there about phenomenal waves coming and coastal flooding a most likely outcome. Up to 30mm of rain to come too and river flooding. I don't know but the signs certainly don't look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fr wishy washy

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Is that Benjamin Franklin in the middle of it? :D

I see it
    :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Good points above and its good to see people pointing out basic safety, stay well clear. I was thinking would the Shannon around athlone be at risk of flooding? has to be very high now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

A thing to remember too about Significant Sea Height is that is the average height of the highest 1/3 of the waves, so individual waves would be even higher.

I wouldnt be getting too close, and depending where you are, Rossbeigh or St Finians Bay would be worth a look. St Finians Bay will be absolutely spectacular with those waves

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

tfromkerry wrote: »
    I was going to head off out Monday morning to have a look :D , so body have any good suggestion i am in south kerry
    Id say somewhere on the high road just west of the Rossbeigh Beach would be a safe but spectacular viewing point. I really hope it is not as severe as last Thursday nights damage as the rossbeigh spit has taken a big hammering already and obviously all the other coastal areas already affected accross the country.

Id say somewhere on the high road just west of the Rossbeigh Beach would be a safe but spectacular viewing point. I really hope it is not as severe as last Thursday nights damage as the rossbeigh spit has taken a big hammering already and obviously all the other coastal areas already affected accross the country.

Id say the council have closed the road down to Rossbeigh so now sure how far down we can get by car

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

tfromkerry wrote: »

Skelligs!

Only kidding. Valentia, Ballinskelligs etc may be worth a shot depending on wind and wave direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

y1TOtpU.png

That's almost worth printing and framing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭vickers209

Few pics from kilmore quay facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kilmore-Quays-Fishing-Fleet/114213565277386
    pad199207 wrote: »
    Does anybody have any word how Kilmore Quay in Wexford is doing after tidal surge?

1522162_702342259797844_1519047087_n.jpg

1557729_702342446464492_1206912643_n.jpg

1545118_702342499797820_1323129350_n.jpg

1525214_702342546464482_1181760211_n.jpg

(function(d, s, id) { var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0]; if (d.getElementById(id)) return; js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id; js.src = "//connect.facebook.net/en_GB/all.js#xfbml=1"; fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs); }(document, 'script', 'facebook-jssdk')); " frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement