Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atlantic Storm Watch & Coastal Flooding Events: January 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭coillsaille

It's around.

Yep. It has arrived here just now.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Steopo

pauldry wrote: »
    this thing wont be half as bad as friday but concern and care should be taken,

gusts of 55 knot or more in west

tidal splashing over walls but not as extensive as friday

flooding inland not too serious as showers wont make it that far

atlnatic coasts can mostly cope with the rain due to limestone etc
    I'm not so sure about just tidal splashing. Yes that coast can easily cope with wind & rain forecast for tonight/tomorrow but the waves & high tides are a different story for coastal damage. The surf scale for wave energy on site below goes up to 30,000k kj per metre (>5k normally means dangerous surf) - this site is forecasting >100,000kj for Rossbeigh beach at 9am at exact same time as high tide & strong winds!

I'm in no way an expert but simply looking at the scenario & power of forecasted waves I think coastal damage & flooding is inevitable with Kerry & west Cork being worst affected

http://www.surf-forecast.com/weather_maps/Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭tfromkerry

Steopo wrote: »
    I'm not so sure about just tidal splashing. Yes that coast can easily cope with wind & rain forecast for tonight/tomorrow but the waves & high tides are a different story for coastal damage. The surf scale for wave energy on site below goes up to 30,000k kj per metre (>5k normally means dangerous surf) - this site is forecasting >100,000kj for Rossbeigh beach at 9am at exact same time as high tide & strong winds!

I'm in no way an expert but simply looking at the scenario & power of forecasted waves I think coastal damage & flooding is inevitable with Kerry & west Cork being worst affected

http://www.surf-forecast.com/weather_maps/Ireland

I am thinking of head off the rossbeigh in the morning , good or bad idea :D. And what should i expect , it will be safe in land away from the shore just having a look yea :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Steopo

tfromkerry wrote: »
    I am thinking of head off the rossbeigh in the morning , good or bad idea :D. And what should i expect , it will be safe in land away from the shore just having a look yea :eek:
    Just wear a pair of concrete boots and you'll be fine :) Seriously though don't get too adventurous if you're taking photos - enjoy but respect the sea!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

A truly non weather event for north County Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Lightning Castlebar now.

Steopo wrote: »
    Just wear a pair of concrete boots and you'll be fine :) Seriously though don't get too adventurous if you're taking photos - enjoy but respect the sea!

Suppose paddling is a no-no :D , And i will without question respect it as i cant flipping swim :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Nothing in Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Lightning Castlebar now.

Nothing outside Newport, just about making a light breeze. Do you think things will pick later wind wise? Working outside tomorrow near the coast so hoping we avoid strong winds.

well compared to the last few storms you would of witnessed,tomorrow will not be to bad. its coastal flooding at high tide that will be the main problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

It is fairly quiet near Limerick City. Just a fairly strong breeze at times.

well compared to the last few storms you would of witnessed,tomorrow will not be to bad. its coastal flooding at high tide that will be the main problem.

That's grand, cheers. Won't be to near the coast tomorrow, maybe a mile so flooding won't be an issue, just didn't fancy outside in stormy conditions.
    Wind has finally started to sound like it might do something here now.

corsav6, keep an eye out for lightning tonight. should be some in your location.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Fitzo

Sun splitting the rocks here in Sligo

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭partay pooper

Starting in Portlaoise

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭murdig

Strong breeze, rain and thunder and lightning here in North Kerry. Its absolutely miserable

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Pissing in Tralee, just seen a flash as well. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Very quiet in the midlands

• Registered Users Posts: 35,914 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭jirafa

The Skipper

Storm front hitting West Cork now. Thunder and heavy rain over ‪#‎Castletownbere‬ Power just gone out ‪#‎stormchristine‬ ‪#‎beara‬ ‪#‎westcork‬

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

Nada in Galway but a breeze

Thunder here now in south Kerry and its very windy , After turning very nasty :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Just arrived in Fishguard from Rosslare. A bit green around the gills but was expecting way worse!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,914 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

corsav6, keep an eye out for lightning tonight. should be some in your location.

It's gone very quite here again, not a breeze. I'm afraid early start means time to hit the hay, but if we get some nice loud thunder the wife will wake me, she'd rather a hurricane than a thunderstorm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

thunder and lightening down on the west coast of cork, well i'm awake for a while:D i'm forever the optimist that the lightening shield will not be up for cork city as always

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

Thunder and lightning just after beginning here near macroom, cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Ciano35 wrote: »
    Thunder and lightning just after beginning here near macroom, cork.

now the blinds are going up. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

V quite in kilkenny. Tramore co. Waterford seems to be fairly rough according to some Facebook pics

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Starting to get a bit windy in Salthill Galway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement