Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atlantic Storm Watch & Coastal Flooding Events: January 2014

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

Another heavy downpour in Clondalkin, but can see it brightening now to the west, so should I would think it has passed, but probably more to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Dublin is about to get Pounded

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Blanchardstown, Dublin 15 here. We're gettin' horsed out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Teaming rain down in Ringsend

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭RaeRae

Dublin 14, Churchtown here. Suddenly very dark after some bright spells and the wind and rain have picked up substantially but nothing on previous recent storms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,467 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I can actually see some blue sky in D15 at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Blanchardstown, Dublin 15 here again. Blue skies and no more wind or rain. That was insanely quick!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,577 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Gusting upto 59knts in Waterford airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Sunshine here in Kilkenny but can't see that lasting!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Max gust here in Waterford City just 62km/h with 2.3mm of rain since midnight. It was never going to be about wind and rain anyway with this storm. Some of the pics coming out of Tramore this morning are amazing. They are really getting battered out there.

www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

Rain and winds picked up in tinahely co wicklow few bangs and flashes of thunder and lightning!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Spindle wrote: »
    Flooding in Cork on the north channel of the Lee, down by the Coal Quay. High tide has come and gone, so should be going down now.

1497467_567291920019488_305074099_n.jpg

Meanwhile in Wales :D

1600994_716950561648954_1302225390_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Tim the Enchanter

Tramore tourisim FB page has some great pictures of the storm -

https://www.facebook.com/tramoretourism

1528717_795915327100747_474678743_n.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Very mild in Dun Laoghaire!

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭acassells80

Has this been a lot milder than was forecast or is there more to come from this storm?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

It does seem an awful lot tamer than expected; in Galway anyways when there were orange alerts, it never fared as bad as when there was yellow alerts (car parks flooding etc). At least there's been no reported injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭pad199207

Waves seem to have lessened a bit here in Wexford. Is that it so?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Has this been a lot milder than was forecast or is there more to come from this storm?

The main event of this storm was the sea state.

Winds about as expected, maybe a little stronger but for me, Thursday 26th December 2013 has higher recorded winds.

Today I've a 50km.h gust @ 06:32 with the local airport reporting a 70km/h gust around the same time frame, my max gust last week was 88km/h.

Looking out the window here in Kilkenny it's looking like not a bad day. Winds slackened off, brightened up and no rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Fitzo

Thunder and huge hail in Sligo town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

Hows the weather looking this evening for South east??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

More damage done here in Connemara as well. Took some photos and video this morning, unfortunately I'm a bit under the weather so I did miss the high tide by an hour or so. We had bad showers this morning but that seems to be improving, still fairly windy, mild enough out. Will upload bits and pieces when I can later.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Anyone get any pics of Spiddal Co Galway its supposed to be very badly damaged

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭mobby

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=429011767228410&set=pcb.429012393895014&type=1&theater

Anyone who knows Duncannon Beach in Wexford will appreciate how high that tide was this morning. :eek:

Can usually drive onto Duncannon beach can't you? Mad because it's quite a sheltered beach and not directly on the coast (is up the Barrow estuary a little).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,375 ✭✭✭Macy0161

road_high wrote: »
    Can usually drive onto Duncannon beach can't you? Mad because it's quite a sheltered beach and not directly on the coast (is up the Barrow estuary a little).
    Yes - there's a second photo on that facebook page of the road down to the beach! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

The regular posters on here never beefed this one up and always said that this storm would loose strength before making landfall.

It seems to me that the media and Irish internet/Facebook sites made this more of a drama than it was. Some of the reporting was shameless with swell charts in the black being used as pictures of impending doom. One Dublin radio station DJ basically made up a weather forecast on Sat afternoon claiming a super storm with freezing conditions on the way for Sun night and Monday morning... It's 11c at the moment?

Can't wait for the media hysteria to die down and we can get back to snowmaggedon in FI.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Some shocking scenes in those photos!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Aestivalis

Poor Waterford train station.
    First the landslide closed it off, now the platforms got flooded at high tide today.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement