Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atlantic Storm Watch & Coastal Flooding Events: January 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

What can we expect this evening ? Same as before?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Steopo

jo06555 wrote: »
    Not as bad I would think, tides are not as high & swell not as powerful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭RoisinD

Thought this would have been posted already but cannot see it. Another stunner from George. Lahinch 7.30am this morning.

1526160_10152103455608011_697860988_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

jo06555 wrote: »

Answer to this question is the same as before....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭partay pooper

Bright clear day in Portlaoise. the winds have slackened

Some video from much the same area as previous photos. I was late for high tide by at least an hour, some of the videos are up to three hours after HT.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/111758162@N02/sets/72157639479673994/

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

North Cornwall in the Summer,it was nicknamed the Giant Doughnut in Porthcothan Bay.

article-2534511-1A7330AB00000578-406_470x423.jpg

And here it is today.

article-2534511-1A73704A00000578-26_964x545.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

I just heared that another storm is expected Wednesday... Is that true?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭weisses

RuthieRose wrote: »
    I just heared that another storm is expected Wednesday... Is that true?

No

Check met.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

I did. But apparently one of the big radio stations said it was due for Wednesday night and into Thursday! I think I've been scare mongered!!!!! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Are some of these pics roundstone and gurteen beach?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭weisses

I did. But apparently one of the big radio stations said it was due for Wednesday night and into Thursday! I think I've been scare mongered!!!!! Thanks

You got me scared for a sec though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Any good news?

Blingy wrote: »
    Are some of these pics roundstone and gurteen beach?

That they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭billie1b

weisses wrote: »
    No

Check met.ie

I heard for Friday, Sat and Sunday this weekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

Torrential down pour there now in kilkenny mixed with hail. Blustery out but not too bad wind wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I was driving along the South Ring (N40) in Cork about 45 mins ago and the rain coming down was the heaviest I've experienced in years. It was like someone constantly throwing buckets of water at your window rather than individual droplets!

Traffic dropped back to about 50km/h

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Oh great! I'm flying that day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Birtles

billie1b wrote: »
    I heard for Friday, Sat and Sunday this weekend

latest MET.IE forecast...... Someone is pulling your.....

Friday will be milder with outbreaks of rain in western counties, but amounts will be small and many places further east will remain dry. Winds will remain light.

Next weekend (both Saturday and Sunday) will be mild and mainly dry with moderate south or southeast breezes. Slight night time frosts may occur inland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Was this storm over hyped or what do people think? Radio DJs I find to be shameless in their bad and mid reporting of weather conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Some flooding on Bray seafront this afternoon, seems the beach nourishment from 2001 is getting thinned out..these are about an hour and a half after high tide. Was a quite a bit worse earlier on apparently
    287557.jpg

287558.jpg

287559.jpg

287560.jpg

Was this storm over hyped or what do people think? Radio DJs I find to be shameless in their bad and mid reporting of weather conditions.

I wouldn't listen to a radio DJ for anything more than the name of a song.

The high sea accompanying the high tide did damage in a lot of coastal areas. Not sure anyone reasonable was ever predicting much more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭blankAs

tramore is in bits! one of the slips to the beach, the ladies slip has been broke up(thanks to the lady engineer who had no coastal experience and wrecked the place the last time she 'fixed it') . The sink hole (that the current 2 weeks ago and cracking the wall) has now been dealt with by poring concrete into it, sure cant wait for tonights high tide or have they perfected quick drying cement yet?! the lake is at its highest poin in over 20 years with the island almost completly under water. the other end of the prom the tide broke up paths and came in over the road but thank fully the businesses down there have miraculously survived and not been flooded tho all the outdoor furniture and flowerpots are at the other side of the road. i have never seen so many confused looking council workers as today and there is plenty of them down there, they have no idea what they are at, they admitted cause i had to ask, they are all just making themselfs look busy cause they know its going to happen again in a few hours so whats the point!
    However, the surf out along the headland is epic, there is 25-30 ft clean waves peaking off the guillamene but you know you do not want to be there when they break, the churning going on out there is ridiculous and i almost feel sorry for the sealife!
    serious damage has been done here in tramore although not all is storm caused as allways man (or woman) had a great part in the destruction. once again as i type it is begining to gust again and theres the rain, we have had beautiful blue skys for large parts of the day not this morning when i ran down to the beach and the spray hurt my face so much i had to hide behind cars and question myself what i was doing but with gusts hitting 70 km /hr, sure ya' have to go have a look !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭billie1b

Birtles wrote: »
    latest MET.IE forecast...... Someone is pulling your.....

Friday will be milder with outbreaks of rain in western counties, but amounts will be small and many places further east will remain dry. Winds will remain light.

Next weekend (both Saturday and Sunday) will be mild and mainly dry with moderate south or southeast breezes. Slight night time frosts may occur inland.

I think I just took it up wrong, I was told we were supposed to be getting some of this Hercules storm but I think thats what this weekend just gone was supposed to be, cant read the charts and what not and don't trust Met Eireann so just thought id throw it out there to see if its true

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭aurora 527

Tramore tourisim FB page has some great pictures of the storm -

https://www.facebook.com/tramoretourism

1528717_795915327100747_474678743_n.jpg
    Should just add that pier storm wall is 30 ft high...

• Registered Users Posts: 35,903 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Things are really picking up now

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Anyone in Howth/Malahide...is the sea still rough? I'm thinking of taking a spin over for a look. Obviously I won't be putting myself in any danger but I'd like to see the sea in all its anger.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Cogsy88

Tides out man. Wouldn't be great.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement