Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atlantic Storm Watch & Coastal Flooding Events: January 2014

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

Walked the Salthill prom between 6:30pm and 7pm. Not too bad to be honest. Rough and choppy but nothing out of the ordinary. Wind isn't strong at Salthill in relative terms yet and there is light rain. Lovely refreshing walk in fact :).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Harps wrote: »
    wind strong enough to send the waterfall into reverse :pac:

That line is worthy of includion in an episode of Father Ted :)

Brilliant!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭kerrywez

The wind is really getting going now, here in West Kerry, and a lot of gusting occurring, Satellite dish getting knocked about and very bad picture break up occurring. I can foresee more power disruption with this baby, hope I am wrong.

Regards Wez

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Barely a breeze here in Galway will probably pickup very fast when it starts!

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭aboyro

Very windy and wet here in Waterford City. Average speed 42Km/h Gusting to 65km/h

www.waterfordcityweather.com

its ESE out here. strange direction at the moment. looks like from 5am its going to pick up down here. that combined with the high tide should make it interesting along the waterford coast. tramore prom is already flooded at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Gusts upto 42knts so far in Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

950 at 6pm.

PPVA89.gif

Hooter23 wrote: »
    Barely a breeze here in Galway will probably pickup very fast when it starts!

When will it start and when is the peak in Galway?

With all these storms were getting that are 950 and below I thought the winds would be stronger ....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Front has passed through now and hence winds have dropped to just an average of 23km/h gusting to 40km/h. Peak earlier was Ave. 44km/h gust 73km/h

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Last half hour has been a bit blustery in West Limerick.

Nothing out of the ordinary, just enough to be heard over the regular household noises.

As the night progresses, I will update and include wind speed reports where I can.

When will it start and when is the peak in Galway?

Think winds should start picking up by 9-10pm then be at worst from midnight to 3-6am

Hooter23 wrote: »
    With all these storms were getting that are 950 and below I thought the winds would be stronger ....

It's not so much about how low the pressure is, it's how steep the pressure gradient is. You can have a very low pressure but still fairly slack, flabby isobars, and then you can have a 980mb low with violent storm force winds. It's not like a tropical cyclone where the pressure is almost always linked directly to the intensity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

All quite here in mayo at the moment, a few gusts about an hour ago, seemed to be hitting from the east. We have some protection from all but the south winds and because of the landscape even a light south breeze can seem rough.
    I'll keep an eye on the Galway updates as I can reasonably predict what to expect shortly after it hits there.
    Thanks to all posting updates and forecasts, it was great during the last southerly storm, or hurricane as it felt here

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Pappacharlie

Bc_rQNnIUAA_DzD.jpg

I cannot understand how anyone from the Cork area could not be aware of the threat of flooding in Cork City and yet we see all these cars parked in the middle of the floods. Can anyone please explain this one other than pure stupidity??? or am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Would not really expect the severe winds to arrive until midnight onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I cannot understand how anyone from the Cork area could not be aware of the threat of flooding in Cork City and yet we see all these cars parked in the middle of the floods. Can anyone please explain this one other than pure stupidity??? or am I missing something?
    Nope and I hope insurance companies don't pay out if you ignore a weather warning and don't take precautions i.e. move your fecking car you don't deserve compensation.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Miss Stormyseas

Walked the Salthill prom between 6:30pm and 7pm. Not too bad to be honest. Rough and choppy but nothing out of the ordinary. Wind isn't strong at Salthill in relative terms yet and there is light rain. Lovely refreshing walk in fact :).

I was out the prom about the same time as you! A bit windy alright but grand to walk in. Found it very refreshing as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭acassells80

Winds picking up here in Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Villain wrote: »
    Nope and I hope insurance companies don't pay out if you ignore a weather warning and don't take precautions i.e. move your fecking car you don't deserve compensation.

That's slightly unfair. I'm sure whoever parked their cars there didn't anticipate flooding. Not everyone follows the weather and in a busy day it's easy to miss warnings. Plus, there have been lots of storms lately and I don't think that part of Cork flooded so you can see why people would feel safe to park there

• Advertisement

12Z EURO4 shows sustained winds touching 110+ km/h on the west coast at 3am. If it doesn't seem very windy on the west coast now, remember that is almost 7 hours away.

14010303_2_0212.gif

Winds will still be quite strong around the coast around the times of high tides later in the morning.

14010306_2_0212.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 9,452 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Wind picking up in achill but not too bad. Rain seems to have stopped.

No fear of flooding in achill the place drains quite well.

I'll sleep well tonight as we are well trained on the wind. I do miss the noise of the wind on the chimney since we got a stove. Should be some good pictures over the weekend with the high swell.

I shall be tucked away in bed by 3am so that suits me grand. I'm not a fan of storms to be honest but since following these threads I strangely find myself secretly wishing for a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Not back to work till Monday, so looking forward to see what will happen after midnight here in Mayo.

Xenji wrote: »
    Not back to work till Monday, so looking forward to see what will happen after midnight here in Mayo.

Don't tempt me to stay up with you, last storm I watched movies on the tablet with earphones with phone in hand on boards ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Centre moving near the M6 buoy @ 8pm.

Pressure @ 949.3hPa

I was out the prom about the same time as you! A bit windy alright but grand to walk in. Found it very refreshing as well!

Well Miss, I hope you get your stormy seas :). Maybe I'll see you at 6:10am for the high tide ;)

Hey all, can anyone say what this huge black spot is? Posted on Facebook by snow and weather watch ireland

33dilo1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Hey all, can anyone say what this huge black spot is? Posted on Facebook by snow and weather watch ireland

33dilo1.jpg

Its sea swell, up to 50ft in the black areas

• Advertisement

You would be very surprised. Many people do not watch the news on TV or listen to it on the radio. Especially when the January sales are on. Or they might have heard that yet another storm is coming but maybe nothing about the high tide.
    For example, I met someone today that did know about Schumacher's accident.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement