Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convert MD Data to MP3/CD Help!!!!

Options
  • 29-12-2013 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

Hi, Hoping I can pay somebody here to help me get two MD Data discs transferred to MP3 or CD. The tracks on the MD Data discs were recorded on a Yamaha MD4S Multitrack. I have found it next to impossible to find a sound engineer that can do the transfer. Some advice would be appreciated even if you cannot help directly. Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

If you mean minidisc. They are in the sony atrac format. Which is compressed. The only way to convert it is transcode it into another format, which will lose some quality. You need to use SonicStage 3.4 (and later). The only way to get it off the disk is to get a MiniDisc player which can connect to the PC. The only ones I've used where HiMD units. Like this basic one http://www.adverts.ie/other-electronics/sony-mini-disc-player/4234416

But the easiest way is simply to record via optical or analog from the Yamaha MD4S (if has those outputs) to some other recording device. The quality will be much the same regardless of what you do, its Atrac is similar to an MP3.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭osprey

beauf wrote: »
    If you mean minidisc. They are in the sony atrac format. Which is compressed. The only way to convert it is transcode it into another format, which will lose some quality. You need to use SonicStage 3.4 (and later). The only way to get it off the disk is to get a MiniDisc player which can connect to the PC. The only ones I've used where HiMD units. Like this basic one http://www.adverts.ie/other-electronics/sony-mini-disc-player/4234416

But the easiest way is simply to record via optical or analog from the Yamaha MD4S (if has those outputs) to some other recording device. The quality will be much the same regardless of what you do, its Atrac is similar to an MP3.

Strictly speaking MD Data discs aren't readable in a standard minidisc player, I no longer own the MD4S either. I used to output to a CD recorder via analogue. I have a feeling I'll have to repurchase a used MD4S on eBay. Thanks for your points and advice in the mean time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

As the HiMD can mount MD and HiMD disc as data discs on a PC i was thinking they might work. If the MD4s used the same data disc.

But as you correctly say, its the same physic disc but a different format. "MD Data", so incompatible. This thread would seem to confirm that.

http://forums.sonyinsider.com/topic/10075-hi-md-data-mode-and-md-data/

Seems like you've no options other than the one you've suggested.

Advertisement