Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone finding it hard to get a job?

Options
  • 29-12-2013 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I have been looking for work for the last 3 months, I spend each day applying for jobs, I have used every contact I know, including going to agencies (Waste of time). I am at my wits end money wise. It's getting me down so much. Is anyone else the same?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

I have been looking for work for the last 3 months, I spend each day applying for jobs, I have used every contact I know, including going to agencies (Waste of time). I am at my wits end money wise. It's getting me down so much. Is anyone else the same?

Approx 400k in Ireland, so you are in good company.

What have you worked at in the past, trained to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 sarahrichard

Been working in production of festivals, PA, admin for them etc.
    I'm considering moving now, renting out my apartment and getting out of here. I cant take not working anymore. I don't know what i should do

Been working in production of festivals, PA, admin for them etc.
    I'm considering moving now, renting out my apartment and getting out of here. I cant take not working anymore. I don't know what i should do

I'd say that's a fairly niche industry. Although I'm moving into a related job in a couple of weeks.

You'll probably need to spread out into different industries. If, like a lot of people, you're having trouble finding work in the area you have traditionally worked have you sought to make yourself more employable, by adding to your skills?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

OP : would you consider working for events in the tech industry? The opportunity is good there at the moment. There are occasional conferences going on as well as big ones, such as Dublin Web Summit. It is actually possible to work for them full time : http://2013.websummit.net/careers/index.html

Try to attend some meetups with tech community first, to ask if they are organising anything and need people with your skillset : http://pubstandards.ie/ .

Also look into Facebook and Twitter. Facebook run a lot of internal events, so they sometimes commission a person with some track record in the area to run them.

Yeah I have branched out to admin/PA with other non events companies. But I have never thought about all the ideas you have given me. Thanks guys.... I shall look into these options. I have contacted Facebook, smcgiff what are you working in soon that's in that industry? Did you find it hard to look online for jobs?

• Advertisement

Leaving the Media/Radio industry behind to work for an Irish company that provides services to large music/sporting events around the world.

Starting mid Jan.

Should add... Got this job through an agency.

Ha ha... any chance there hiring?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I am long term unemployed and its hard to get a job.
    As said above approx 400k people on the dole and the JobsBridge scheme isn't making things any better.

I did a college course this year and getting work in my new skill seems really hard too. It sucks. Don't know what to do.

Ha ha... any chance there hiring?

Certainly ambitious and have plans for expansion... they got me.:pac: No idea about the specifics, only got the job offer before Christmas.

Send me a PM in a month's time if you've not found something. I'll know more then.

I am long term unemployed and its hard to get a job.
    As said above approx 400k people on the dole and the JobsBridge scheme isn't making things any better.

I did a college course this year and getting work in my new skill seems really hard too. It sucks. Don't know what to do.

At the risk of being shot, any relevant positions on Jobsbridge to allow you build up relevant work experience?

• Advertisement

Thanks smcgiff... You will be hearing from me!

smcgiff wrote: »
    At the risk of being shot, any relevant positions on Jobsbridge to allow you build up relevant work experience?

I have already done that for 9 months, I cant afford to keep doing them. I want something I can also grow in etc. There quite restricted, and although I learned alot, a good few of them took the piss. So prefer a job now.

smcgiff wrote: »

:p
    There is actually. Few of the lads on my course applied for quite a few. Only 1 chap got one. Seems its even a bit hard to get an internship :pac:

An unpaid internship is easy to find... but the 'Internship' thing... dont get me started. Seen an internship for 'assistant cleaner' the other day...

An unpaid internship is easy to find... but the 'Internship' thing... dont get me started. Seen an internship for 'assistant cleaner' the other day...

Yeah. They are a joke alright. Best one I seen was for retail staff in Tesco.

Ahh, internships are ruining the creation of jobs. Take me and everyone else on my course for one example. Spent 9 months doing a course.... and it seems that the way forward is to do a 9 month internship (urgh) but lets just say we all do one. Then what? :(

JobsBridge is stopping the creation of paid jobs. So you can go from 'qualified but no experience' to 'qualified with experience' and still have the same struggle to get a job.

I have already done that for 9 months, I cant afford to keep doing them. I want something I can also grow in etc. There quite restricted, and although I learned alot, a good few of them took the piss. So prefer a job now.

Meant that post specifically for B.A. I should have quoted his post.

Well B.A the only thing I can say about the Internships is this. I do know one person that got a job out of it. I received alot of contacts which I used and no job. But I have been told in May I will be on the team again (so technically I have a months work from it). I also can now apply for a lot more jobs then before I did the Internship.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 jasonleary

yeah i think 450,000 people are finding it hard to find a job at the moment :eek: But the FAS internships are basically slave labour - just another way for politicians to cook the books

• Registered Users Posts: 10 westmeathman

been there done all of the above and more at 40 years old I went back to do a course this 2013 in the mechanical and automation industry and on the 23 December this year I got a call for interview with a tooling company in Dublin . Cant wait till 6 jan 14 to start so its fair to say keep trying and up skill

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

I have alot of friends int hat industry, most went to uk, good bit of work been going there these days, a few jumping ship to oz, its a shrinking industry a little over here

• Advertisement

I have alot of friends int hat industry, most went to uk, good bit of work been going there these days, a few jumping ship to oz, its a shrinking industry a little over here

I am going to keep trying until mid feb, I have started to apply to the uk already, pray something comes my way, broke down infront of my mam the other day, 29 year old mess crying. Just can't cope not working or even having a chance to

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Lennyzip

I am going to keep trying until mid feb, I have started to apply to the uk already, pray something comes my way, broke down infront of my mam the other day, 29 year old mess crying. Just can't cope not working or even having a chance to

Keep the head up . I'm working part time at the moment in a completely unrelated field to what I did in college . Got a redundancy 4 years ago which kept me going for a few years but need a full time job now . I'm literally worse off then somebody on the dole which makes it a little demoralising . Down €450 a week compared to my last job . Says a lot about the country really .
    A person with college qualifications is worse off then some scrounger who has no desire to work . I can't claim because I still have savings , wouldn't be eligible . Also because the work is spread over a week even though it's only bout 18 hours I can't claim for the 2 or 3 other days . BUT I am going to really put in an effort now as I hate the place I work for , don't have a huge problem with the work itself .
    I'm more annoyed at them how they treat their employees then anything else . It seems employers have people by the balls at this stage . They know there is very little work so squeeze people & use this against them . This had been a huge life lesson for me & once I get back to full employment I won't forget how this country has fxxked over the workforce .
    Be positive and don't settle for any old job if at all possible . New year , new slate . Best of luck !!!

Advertisement