Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sockets dead. lighting and cooker ok

Options
  • 29-12-2013 3:58pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Looking for some help. Power went off randomly earlier. House alarm, sockets, heating all gone. Checked the circuit board and everything seems ok. Lights are on however.

Any suggestions on where to start? Can post a picture of the fuse board it that helps

Thanks
    Splinter

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭kramer1

Sounds like your rcd has tripped . double check at the board

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

Did you manage to get this sorted?

Is it a fuse board or MCB board?

If the lights are on the issue is more than likely with the RCD/ELCB probably needs to be reset/replaced.

I'm not sure if you know which one is the rcd it's the one with the button on it. Try pulling it all the way down and then pushing it back up.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

looks like its either the kitchen sockets or the fuse for the kitchen. have everything else in the house working once i turn off the kitchen sockets off on the fuse board. Waiting on the electrician but i don't think he'll arrive tonight :( thank god i have heating though! just most of the stuff in the fridge is gone

cheers for the help all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

you can try plugging everything out in the kitchen

you may be able to get power restored

it depends what the problem is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

As Tom said above plug out al the appliances,

fridge/freezer, kettle, toaster dishwasher etc etc. then push the mcb back up then plug in the appliances one by one till it trips again.

You won't need a spark if it's an appliance the rcd was just doing it's job, save yourself a few quid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭markad1

It's usually caused by a kettle, dishwasher or washing machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Splinter wrote: »
    Waiting on the electrician but i don't think he'll arrive tonight :( thank god i have heating though! just most of the stuff in the fridge is gone

cheers for the help all

You could get him to put the fridge on its own breaker to stop that happening again

May be very easy to do if the fridge is near the "fusebox"

Hi All,

right, he's been and gone (landlord paid so wasnt' worried about the charge). Looks like its an issue with the wiring at the end of the ring. (on the way to the dryer/washing machine sockets). Kitchen is back up and running once we ignore those two sockets for the moment. he'll be back during the week to fix it.

Many thanks to you all :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Looks like its an issue with the wiring at the end of the ring
    There is no end on a ring circuit hence the name of such, it would appear one of you appliances could be the fault.

All the appliancs were moved to different sockets and everything works ok once we ignore the two sockets in question

• Advertisement
Advertisement