Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foreign address to open bank a/c

Options
  • 29-12-2013 4:12pm

Hi

I am moving back to Dublin in a couple of months after living abroad for ten years. I will be living with a friend for the first month or two before I look to rent. So I will not have a proof of address in Ireland to open a bank account. I will also be setting up my own business, so no letter from employer. I own a property abroad (in Paris), so can I use my proof of address in Paris with my passport to open a bank account in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,020 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I opened a Bank of Ireland account with German utility bills and my Irish passport. I'd say most banks would have no problem with that. You can then change correspondence address whenever you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,565 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If you could get some state issued correspondance issued to your mates address and use that they would accept it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Jack_K wrote: »
    Hi

I am moving back to Dublin in a couple of months after living abroad for ten years. I will be living with a friend for the first month or two before I look to rent. So I will not have a proof of address in Ireland to open a bank account. I will also be setting up my own business, so no letter from employer. I own a property abroad (in Paris), so can I use my proof of address in Paris with my passport to open a bank account in Ireland?

Keep your French bank account open. With SEPA, from 1 February 2014, you will be able to pay local Irish bills using your French account. This can act as back up until you get an Irish account sorted.

Fungus wrote: »
    Keep your French bank account open. With SEPA, from 1 February 2014, you will be able to pay local Irish bills using your French account. This can act as back up until you get an Irish account sorted.
    Good ppint. In fact if his French account is free he might be as well off using that as his primary/only account. I'm just waiting until February to close my last Irish bank accounts and use my free German accounts for everything. From February it'll make no difference whatsoever to the other party as it'll all be BIC and IBAN based.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

murphaph wrote: »
    Good ppint. In fact if his French account is free he might be as well off using that as his primary/only account. I'm just waiting until February to close my last Irish bank accounts and use my free German accounts for everything. From February it'll make no difference whatsoever to the other party as it'll all be BIC and IBAN based.

Your French bank may not accept an Irish postal non-resident address for postal correspondence. This is important when you need a new ATM/debit card in the future. Ring and check this point with your French bank.

It might be best just using your French bank account as a short-term solution while you get an Irish account sorted. BTW, PTSB are your best bet for an Irish current account product.

• Advertisement

Fungus wrote: »
    Your French bank may not accept an Irish postal non-resident address for postal correspondence. This is important when you need a new ATM/debit card in the future. Ring and check this point with your French bank.

It might be best just using your French bank account as a short-term solution while you get an Irish account sorted. BTW, PTSB are your best bet for an Irish current account product.
    Yeah it will depend on his French bank alright. BoI send correspondence to me in Germany as do AIB for my credit card and Ulster Bank for a mortgage so there is hope.

Advertisement