Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting to know... It's now time to Bombard Bambaata with a Bamboozle of Questions..

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Hi Eddie, haven't seen the sporting background question asked. If I'd to guess I'd say GAA?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

What's your favourite flavour of crisps?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Did you ever own a Scooter record?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Hi Bambaata. :) And happy new year. Are you enjoying your time in the sun answering all these questions? Hope so, because I'm guessing you've got this gig until Wednesday at midnight.

<clears throat> I have a few more things I'd like to know, if you don't mind. ;)

So, you've taken a roll down slot for Worlds. Was there any hesitation to taking a roll down? Or not in the least? If you ever qualify for Kona via a roll down, would you or would you not take it, and why?
    It was a bolt out of the blue. I finished 8th in AG but unfortunately for me it was the most competitive (id have grabbed a podium in others!) and really didnt see it going that far. Initially there were only 2 slots, then a 3rd was added and it happened to get to me. I was only there because the meal was right after. Id no hesitation once i heard my name. Because i knew id have podiumed at other AGs i didnt hesitate. Had i felt it wasnt deserved i would have hesitated but likely still accepted it. Chances are id need a roll-down for Kona so would have no hesitation, id just love to experience it and, as with Canada, i wouldn't be competitive so its an experience thing.
    When will you start your Worlds training cycle in earnest? And what will it look like?
    I was supposed to start 3 weeks back to just back into it but week 1 didnt happen cos of work wrecking my head, week two went ok but missed loads and week 3 i got sick! So i started back today :) The proper cycle for Canada will be in June, about 12 weeks out. I need to be in serious shape for that block though as that block is just the icing on the cake.
    Will you buy a new tri suit to wear at Worlds?
    I hope i dint have to! I like my suit and have raced in it a few years now (Skins two piece) but you never know, long way to Canada yet...
    If you've one piece of advice for someone getting ready to do their first ever half iron distance tri, what would it be?
    Cycle long, a lot! I didnt do enough long bikes in 2013 and suffered as a result. I ran a 01:27 in my first HIM in Austria (which was about 400m long!) and i believe that was because i had better biking done leading into it.
    Do you have any tattoos?
    Nope and i'm not a fan. Id never get one but wouldn't object to small, discrete one on my good wife.
    If you could put together a killer tri relay, which boards' peeps would be on it with you? And who would do which leg and why?
    Interested for the swim as i dont think there are any faster here!
    Possibly Fazz for the bike as he would likely nail that
    Id do the run as id like tio close it out in 1st and take all the credit :D
    Who's got the biggest target on their back?
    Fazz :D If i can match Fazz this year ill be well set for Canada.
    Is it true that your nickname in school was Boom-Boom-Bambaata, but you had to drop the "Boom-Boom" when you joined boards because it exceeded the maximum number of letters allowed for a user name, leaving you with just "Bambaata"? ;)
    Ha something like that. I think i was 12 when i started using it. Its after Arfika Bambaataa but i dropped the last a to make it mine ;)
    Did you have any other nicknames in school you'd like to share with us?
    Nope, not that i can remember anyway.
    What was the best gift you received for Christmas this year?
    My folks for us a projector! We recently moved into a really nice lareg rented house, the kind we'd been trying to get for about 3 years, and have started doing it up (with landlord permission). We had the sitting room 80% but were missing a projector and hoped to get one in Jan/Feb once funds allowed. Obviusly all the walk of it paid off ;) We need another couch next so maybe if we talk about that for long enough someone will be kind enough :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

You have done some tri tourism in your time - have you had any personal dealings with any pros that left a memory with you

What do you think of Kildare Gaa at the moment (you are a Kildare man if I remember), between debts, seanie j and mcgeeney they are never out of the news

Favourite movie character?

Favourite book?

Were you ever in sir Henry's or sex kitchen?

• Advertisement

Basster wrote: »
    Hi Eddie, haven't seen the sporting background question asked. If I'd to guess I'd say GAA?

Played anything going at school but i was a goalie in both soccer and football. I wasnt fond of being a goalie but its hard to relinquish a spot in a team so trudged on through until i was about 17. I also played a lot of tennis from about 12 - 16/17. I then went to college to do a BSc in Sports Management and duly started smoking and drinking and piling on weight!

Ive no swimming, running or cycling background at all

tunney wrote: »
    Did you ever own a Scooter record?

No, was never a fan, even when i was 12 ;)

catweazle wrote: »
    You have done some tri tourism in your time - have you had any personal dealings with any pros that left a memory with you
    In Austria 70.3 i got to see the top few places unfolding. The run course was nice a quiet for about 1.5 of the 3 laps (only pros and a few AGers ahead of me) and i got to momentarily run with Paul Amy for all of 15/20 seconds :D It was a great buzz seeing them up close though. Of course i was on my first lap and they were finishing but still a good buzz. While in Sands Beach Hotel in Lanza a few months back i was swimming away and only copped after a little while that Bella Bayliss seemed to be checking my stroke! I really wish i asked for some advice! She was there poolside with another athlete. I should have asked for some advice as she was just a few doors down room our room.
    What do you think of Kildare Gaa at the moment (you are a Kildare man if I remember), between debts, seanie j and mcgeeney they are never out of the news
    Im a Meath man im afraid so not much joy coming our way the past while ;) I might work at Croke Park but i've lost the love for following football. I suppose i see a matchday as work now and couldnt care less. I will watch the odd bit of the good games though and generally get to catch most of the finals.
    Favourite movie character?
    This one has me really having to think! I watch a fair few movies but they rarely leave a lasting impression. One of my favs would be the Green Mile. John Coffey in that leaves a serious impression! Him or possibly Wilson in Castaway :D
    Favourite book?
    I didnt read for years and years but managed to get into it a little the last 3 years or so. That said i seem to only enjoy and read sports biographies and other sports related books. Of those id reckon Tyler Hamilton's "The Secret Race" was my fav. Just finished "Domestique: The Real-life Ups and Downs of a Tour Pro" by Charly Wegelius which was also a decent read.
    Were you ever in sir Henry's or sex kitchen?
    Afraid not. I missed a whole era of deadly clubs.

What's your favourite flavour of crisps?

Salt and Vinegar!! Love them too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

As much as we love you Eddie, time to move on :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Tip of the hat to Fazz's alliterative title before this one closes:)

Ive messaged the next victim to check all's good so should have it up shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Ok let's get this showdown scheduled for 2014..

Options I could work with:

Tri an Mhi 70.3
    Kilkee Oly
    Lost Sheep 70.3

Possibly Athy oly if i'm not doing tri an mhi, I know you've got good memories there...

Failing that... a duathlon? The champs in April?

Or a sportsman/naas one in Feb/Mar though my bike will be nowhere till April so I'm not sure I'll race them unless I go looking for a kick up the proverbial...

Ha, ill need a few months anyway so not likely to take you on before May. I'll get back to you but am thinking Tri an Mhi?

And on that note i'll sign off and hand the reigns over!

Bambaata wrote: »
    Ha, ill need a few months anyway so not likely to take you on before May. I'll get back to you but am thinking Tri an Mhi?

And on that note i'll sign off and hand the reigns over!

Yep can look at adding tri an mhi to calendar so hopefully for us both.
    Lets sort it out via fb soon and then the smack talk can commence! :-D

Tri an Mhi good? Its good for me. Exactly 3 months before Canada so should hopefully be in ok shape for that before hitting the Canada block from the week after.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

Bambaata wrote: »
    Tri an Mhi good? Its good for me. Exactly 3 months before Canada so should hopefully be in ok shape for that before hitting the Canada block from the week after.

If this wasn't so close to the Olympic NC in Kilkee I'd love to race it too! If the lottery doesn't work out for me I'll enter too. I'll be the dark horse

If this wasn't so close to the Olympic NC in Kilkee I'd love to race it too! If the lottery doesn't work out for me I'll enter too. I'll be the dark horse

Its 3 weeks! Plenty!!

Yep great race, nice rolling bike course x 2 laps and road ssurface mainly good.

Run is tough, hilly but a nnice 2 loop one as well.

Really enjoyed it last yyear, all the better with a full swim this year hopefully.

@bambaata - it's on.

@eld - do it, I'm doing kilkee also and 3 weeks is fine. Did 2 halfs in 2 weeks and was just about enough so 3 wks and oly is grand!

I believe trinewbie will be in to defend his title as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

Fazz wrote: »
    Its 3 weeks! Plenty!!

Yep great race, nice rolling bike course x 2 laps and road ssurface mainly good.

Run is tough, hilly but a nnice 2 loop one as well.

Really enjoyed it last yyear, all the better with a full swim this year hopefully.

@bambaata - it's on.

@eld - do it, I'm doing kilkee also and 3 weeks is fine. Did 2 halfs in 2 weeks and was just about enough so 3 wks and oly is grand!

I believe trinewbie will be in to defend his title as well...

It's tempting but I don't think I will. I was to be very fresh going into Kilkee so I'll be doing a sprint in Mullaghmore that weekend (I think) However things could change.

Advertisement