Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ring Of Kerry Charity Cycle 2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭Kerry Gooner

krissovo wrote: »
    I hit 70k at the weekend and finished on a hill, planning a 100k for the weekend coming, Marbella to Gibraltar and halfway back to estepona with a monster hill near Gibraltar to test the legs.

The 70k was the first time I needed to reach for a gel, legs were almost gone at 60k until I sucked back a gel and then found I wanted to find my local hill at the end to burn off my sugar rush.

I am more confident now, just need to work on the calories intake plan. I guess at north of 100kg in weight I will be one of the heaviest riders.
    Not too sure that your training plan in the south of Spain is ideal for ROK, maybe you should try some warm weather training to prepare you for the Kerry riviera!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Training sucks in Spain :cool:
    Unfortunately I will be moving back to Ireland in two weeks so will get the sucky weather training back on track:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

BailMeOut wrote: »
    When I did my 1st ROK my longest cycle ever was 40km, I was not very fit and and I did it on a hybrid bike. It lashed rain for much of the day too and while I was sore at the end and quite tired I got around just fine. The ROK road surface is generally quite smooth so you roll along really easily and it is true what they say about being sucked along by the crowd.

My advice for first timers is to start as early as you can, take your time, stop at all the official stops as well as at the top of the two climbs and an ice cream in Sneem and you will be grand.

The legs have never been a problem for me but the ass has been a problem. I try to get out of the saddle every 15-20 minutes and let the blood flow. If you are going to be doing the RoK in sections then you will be able to get to 60km and stop for 30 minutes before doing another 60km and then stopping again before the final push of 40-50km.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Hu Deman

krissovo wrote: »
    I hit 70k at the weekend and finished on a hill, planning a 100k for the weekend coming, Marbella to Gibraltar and halfway back to estepona with a monster hill near Gibraltar to test the legs.

The 70k was the first time I needed to reach for a gel, legs were almost gone at 60k until I sucked back a gel and then found I wanted to find my local hill at the end to burn off my sugar rush.

I am more confident now, just need to work on the calories intake plan. I guess at north of 100kg in weight I will be one of the heaviest riders.

I did it 3 years ago at 117kgs and was by no means the largest,it is so varied it has every sort of cyclist. that's what makes it so good.You'll be fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭tuch

Will be interesting to see whether the hotels that raised their room prices to extortionate levels will fill up or whether they will have to reduce rates. At the moment we have

Randles Court - €500 per night
    Lake Hotel - €500 per night (basic standard excl breakfast)
    Killarney Plaza - €600 per night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

tuch wrote: »
    Will be interesting to see whether the hotels that raised their room prices to extortionate levels will fill up or whether they will have to reduce rates. At the moment we have

Thanks,I thought, I'd left it too late to get accommodation..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭listrybabe

and do you really think this is different from everywhere else , its all down to demand it is the same everywhere not just killarney, and btw i hate to see it happen but it seems to be the norm in ireland i am sad to say
    also just seen the dunloe available for 200 euro and it is a stunning hotel in a beautiful location

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭borntobike

This is the reason I skip the ROK. Killarney is rip off central when the opportunity arises.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

It's not obligatory to stay in Killarney. Tralee is only 25 mins away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Masala

Killarney is rip off central when the opportunity arises.

bit unfair that!!!

How much can I get a Dublin hotel if I ring today to stay the Sat night of Garth Brooks????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭bazzer86

borntobike wrote: »
    This is the reason I skip the ROK. Killarney is rip off central when the opportunity arises.

No different to any other place.

c. 10,000 people in Killarney that weekend, i'm sure plenty of people got hotels and b&b's for very good value... people that left it late will have to pay for the luxury of good accommodation... I don't see any problem with that, they are perfectly entitled to alter their prices to reflect the substantial demand... It is no exception to any other big event in a city, i.e Munster matches in Limerick, big concerts in Dublin

Supply and demand. They are perfectly entitled to raise prices. Just interested to see whether some hotels have been a bit too greedy are raised them too much. Lake Hotel in particular. I anticipate that they will have to lower their rates to sell rooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 doniek79

I am local near Killarney, and I would be confident that you will still get a B&B for resaonable price, if you look on the net you only get options of hotels and the bigger guesthouses around the town, every second building in the town is some kind of accommodation and on the outskirts within a few miles there is huge numbers of B&B's, get the golden pages and start ring and I will be surprised if you don't get something resaonable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭Sikpupi

Just back from a spin across Moll Gap from the Kenmare side and see that the ****ty piece of road around Lake Accouse (????) and jus before the decent at Ladies view is getting an makeover with new surfacing.

Well done Killarney Town Council... get that money spent before its gets sucked up into Tralee!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Sikpupi wrote: »
    Just back from a spin across Moll Gap from the Kenmare side and see that the ****ty piece of road around Lake Accouse (????) and jus before the decent at Ladies view is getting an makeover with new surfacing.

Well done Killarney Town Council... get that money spent before its gets sucked up into Tralee!!

Yeah I climbed it from Killarney earlier and work is well under way, hopefully it will all be done and rubble free on the day, you wouldn't want to be descending through there on a dodgy surface.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

So did anyone who missed out on entering win an entry via the lottery? Winners are notified by email today afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Schummi

DeepBlue wrote: »
    So did anyone who missed out on entering win an entry via the lottery? Winners are notified by email today afaik.

I've not heard anything yet. Draw was supposed to be yesterday, with winners being emailed today. I'd have thought that people would have heard at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 OldBones

Will someone put me up for the weekend? I've no cash to splash on a Killarney five star, or randles for that matter..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 377 ✭✭Jocry

Got my email today, now to sort out my accommodation, looks like the estate car might be my bed for the night though!

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Murphj7

Go to Milltown or Killorglin for accomodation.

• Advertisement

Supply and demand. They are perfectly entitled to raise prices. Just interested to see whether some hotels have been a bit too greedy are raised them too much. Lake Hotel in particular. I anticipate that they will have to lower their rates to sell rooms.

Randles Court - still €500 per night
    Lake Hotel - down to only €339 per night (reduction of €161)
    Killarney Plaza - reduced to €580 per night

Seems demand was not quite what they anticipated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Those prices are just ridiculous. Surely that'll just drive the crowds out of the town to the smaller towns/villages b&bs. Personally I would rather stay out of Killarney anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭Sikpupi

Surely that'll just drive the crowds out of the town to the smaller
    towns/villages b&bs

... all the better! Everyone gets a piece of the pie!

Lake Hotel has dropped prices again. Now down to €290. Still excluding breakfast though.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rambling Man

Lake Hotel has dropped prices again. Now down to €290. Still excluding breakfast though.

Thats still thieving. Even if they throw in Sonny Knowles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

If people are looking for accommodation try kenmare, you can commence your cycle from there and receive your cert there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭jag con

The Brooklodge hotel in Killarney has a double room online for €270 for 2 nights

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Logicalus

Hi Guys,
    If anyone cannot make the event, I'm looking for two registrations, we had no joy on the lottery..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 400 ✭✭ruskin

My gf is looking for one too, no joy either in the lottery Im afraid :(

• Advertisement

Also looking for one or two registrations if anyone has a spare one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Check your e-mails folks, the timetable for signing in on the 4th and 5th has been sent out. Also starting times and rolling road closures for the the day itself, it appears much the same as last year, hopefully they will have speeded up the signing in process last year was insane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 jbe

Hi All, Quick question & sorry in advance if its been answered, My father registered us both through the Pieta house charity & we gave €70 each & received a letter & our sponsorship cards. Is it right that this is all we have recieved? Do we just arrive at registration on the Friday armed with the sponsorship card or should we have a registration number of sorts? (I would have expected a reg num?) We may have gone about it wrong!! Appreciate any info/advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ratracer

jbe wrote: »
    Hi All, Quick question & sorry in advance if its been answered, My father registered us both through the Pieta house charity & we gave €70 each & received a letter & our sponsorship cards. Is it right that this is all we have recieved? Do we just arrive at registration on the Friday armed with the sponsorship card or should we have a registration number of sorts? (I would have expected a reg num?) We may have gone about it wrong!! Appreciate any info/advice.

That's all you would have received to date. The bike tags/ numbers will usually be posted out in the week prior to the cycle, at least that's how it worked for me last year, I'm presuming it'll be the same again this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 jbe

Awesome thank you very much ratracer. Much appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 82 ✭✭New2bike

jbe wrote: »

Hi When registering with Pieta house I didn't think you had to pay the €70 registration as your sponsorship is your entry fee all I received was the sponsorship card and I have set up a my charity.ie page

• Advertisement

New2bike wrote: »
    Hi When registering with Pieta house I didn't think you had to pay the €70 registration as your sponsorship is your entry fee all I received was the sponsorship card and I have set up a my charity.ie page

Thats correct, you dont pay. Pieta essentially pay for your entry but you are supposed to pay it back a such with your sponsorship money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

Looking for 1 or 2 entries here also...

Did they not open up again for 500 more applicants? Bringing this year to 9500 which is crazy. Every year the numbers go up and the price goes up with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 willya

Hey,

I'm very last minute, but would anyone have any advise about where I might be able to get accommodation within reason around Killarney area for the Friday and Saturday?
    Looks like the town is booked out, I found one room for €600 which is a bit out of my range (noice looking room though!).

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

willya wrote: »
    Hey,

I'm very last minute, but would anyone have any advise about where I might be able to get accommodation within reason around Killarney area for the Friday and Saturday?
    Looks like the town is booked out, I found one room for €600 which is a bit out of my range (noice looking room though!).

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks

I'd try airbnb.ie

I saw a bunch of options on it last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Nmccd

Try the Killarney royal. 064 66 31853. My friendscanceled a room today because they didn't get registration.

200 places offered in a lottery draw

200 places offered in a lottery draw

Try the Killarney royal. 064 66 31853. My friendscanceled a room today because they didn't get registration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭flying11

i heard this on the radio during the weekend and it gave me a good laugh! Just over 4 weeks to go folks :)

Lake Hotel - down to only €339 per night (reduction of €161)
    Thats still thieving. Even if they throw in Sonny Knowles.

Dropped again to €261 and I'd say hotel is still mostly empty. How low will they go.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 400 ✭✭ruskin

Who is to stop cyclists without a registration? I know there are road closures, but are you meaning to tell me that someone will be checking each and every bike for a tag as a flood of cyclists are constantly passing the checkpoints?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

ruskin wrote: »
    but are you meaning to tell me that someone will be checking each and every bike for a tag as a flood of cyclists are constantly passing the checkpoints?

No, not one person - about 20 people checking for bike tags at the first checkpoint. All cyclists are required to slow down and filter through barriers (a bit like going into a stadium for a match).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

Anyone know what they are doing to speed things up on the sign in the night before. This is my first time doing the ROK but I heard horror stories about waiting hours in a queue to register. The organisers said (or at least were quoted as saying) that they were taking steps to resolve this. Anyone know what the story is? I have a hotel booked for the night before (and the night of the event, I booked the room back in January on a hotel deals website and got two nights for a very reasonable price so that's something people should try next year) and had planned to head down early that afternoon. But now I probably won't be down there until close to 9pm due to work commitments. Will I be in a queue until nearly midnight in that case?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

ruskin wrote: »
    Who is to stop cyclists without a registration? I know there are road closures, but are you meaning to tell me that someone will be checking each and every bike for a tag as a flood of cyclists are constantly passing the checkpoints?

They did last year and they did it very efficiently. No tag and you were not getting past them.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement