Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ring Of Kerry Charity Cycle 2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

lescol wrote: »
    It's a RACE! It's official :D as linked to by the ROK Facebook page, so go out, compete and race!

"The race starts at Mission Road Killarney, passes through Killorglin, Cahersiveen, Sneem, Kenmare, Torc and back to Killarney."

http://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/features/eight-things-rozanna-purcell-has-learned-about-cycling-274073.html

Like I always say, I don't care what time I do the ROK in as long as it's faster than last year :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Hmmm so what's the story with this photo ID situation? A few of us are using registrations of people that pulled out. I hope this isn't going to lead to a situation!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭The Scratcher

Anyone going down in a camper? Very last minute organising. Trying to figure where to park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭darkvalley

Anyone going down in a camper? Very last minute organising. Trying to figure where to park.

I'm going down in my camper. Don't know the area too well for wild camping so i have booked a campsite for the weekend. Flemings white bridge. It is in the town and was €30 per night when I booked it in April.
    www.KillarneyCamping.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

The very best of luck to everybody taking part in The Ring of Kerry cycle. To all those visiting our beautiful Kingdom I hope you enjoy it. Safe cycling to all of you.

I haven't been this excited since santa brought me skillextrix!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭touts

jon1981 wrote: »
    Hmmm so what's the story with this photo ID situation? A few of us are using registrations of people that pulled out. I hope this isn't going to lead to a situation!

Their website now says you need a photocopy of the other persons ID if you are going to pick up their tag.

touts wrote: »
    Their website now says you need a photocopy of the other persons ID if you are going to pick up their tag.

Bit f**king late to be asking for that now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭tuch

I assume that is what they are trying to prevent but trying to enforce this will lead to chaos and a lot of angry people. Those that are using registrations in others names, those that are not aware of the requirement or those that are picking up tags for friends.
    Is it not enough for them that they are getting €70 per person.
    Totally unnecessary and unenforceable bureaucracy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭Meself

Weather looks hit and miss on the day. Get the child of Prague out tonight everyone !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,769 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

re. Photo id...
    Lots of questions by cyclists on the RoK facebook page about getting unwanted entries and using them - NO REPLIES from RoK organisers..... Good thing or Bad?
    I am in that situation myself, I got an 'unwanted entry' and am entered under that persons name...... They can try stop me :D

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

There'll be war if they try! Not my fault they hadn't provided a proper mechanism for transferring registrations!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

touts wrote: »

Yeah I received word of this too. I am going to register myself and hand over my registration afterwards.

Should something happen and either I or my emergency contact receive a call; then they'll just have to deal with the anger of this nonsense.

First the greedy 70euros & now this!
    Won't be registering next year me thinks,
    Plenty of routes & countries to explore without this.
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 7 melovelo

greenspurs wrote: »
    re. Photo id...
    Lots of questions by cyclists on the RoK facebook page about getting unwanted entries and using them - NO REPLIES from RoK organisers..... Good thing or Bad?
    I am in that situation myself, I got an 'unwanted entry' and am entered under that persons name...... They can try stop me :D

The mail I got yesterday outlining important info for the event did not mention the photo id requirement.

melovelo wrote: »
    The mail I got yesterday outlining important info for the event did not mention the photo id requirement.

No, poor last minute nonsense!! Sure they know registrations have been trading between randomers for weeks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,769 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Meself wrote: »
    Weather looks hit and miss on the day. Get the child of Prague out tonight everyone !

Looks dodgy, Windy and Showery, overshoes and rain jackets/gilets i reckon :mad:

There'll be war if they try! Not my fault they hadn't provided a proper mechanism for transferring registrations!!

Looks like I'll be exercising my old photoshop skills tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

When exactly did the registrations close this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Nmccd

Approx good Friday 18 April....all registrations were full by then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Nmccd

Approx good Friday 18 April....all registrations were full by then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭Masala

overshoes and rain jackets/

...oh no... was hoping on leaving as much gear behind as possible. Don't particularly relish 188kms in overshoes! Surely - it is not expected to be THAT bad??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭imonboard

Where would be best to stop for food? I don't want to be hitting into any mountains straight after food. Which food stops bring you too far off the track and add on kilometers?

Masala wrote: »
    ...oh no... was hoping on leaving as much gear behind as possible. Don't particularly relish 188kms in overshoes! Surely - it is not expected to be THAT bad??

Last year again would have been ideal but alas it's not to be. I always expect rain in Kerry, especially in the mountains anything is possible up there.

imonboard wrote: »
    Where would be best to stop for food? I don't want to be hitting into any mountains straight after food. Which food stops bring you too far off the track and add on kilometers?

Almost everyone stops in Sneem, have a decent munch and stock up on enough to get you to the top of molls gap.

Early start (6am) might be a good strategy weather wise.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=91123847&postcount=3367

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

It really is a magical route, it gets longer every year......

188km now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭eoz

Anyone a strava link to the route or ridewithgps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

It's 170km.... :)

Strava: http://www.strava.com/activities/65111597

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Sackman

This post has been deleted.

I also believe a lot of people who registered directly with the website did not get a barcode, so rather than angry chaos tomorrow I think they will let a lot pass without reg number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭madrabui

A freshly tarred surface, the cycling equivalent of a red carpet was being laid out last night on Mission Road(the start and end point of the ROK).

Have fun everyone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

as long as we are not setting off in the rain I will be very happy. All these predictions showing dry/light winds early in morning. Temperatures quite warm too so a muggy day I guess.

Weather - Killarney Co Kerry

Weather - Killorglin Co Kerry

Weather - Caherciveen

Weather - Waterville

Weather - Sneem

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭roadie_2013

Staying out in Fossa - stayed there last year too.
    Great facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 willya

It's 170km.... :)

I don't think you can take that Strava measurement as accurate, it measures straight lines through windy sections examples:
    Sneem
    Blackwater bridge
    Run into Watervile

Must likely anytime is dropped GPS signal it would just do a straight line from the point it dropped to the point it picked up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭Uberbeamerman

Sackman wrote: »
    I also believe a lot of people who registered directly with the website did not get a barcode, so rather than angry chaos tomorrow I think they will let a lot pass without reg number.

This is the email I received:

Thank you for registering for the 2014 Ring of Kerry Charity Cycle. This is an acknowledgment of your payment and on behalf of the benefiting charities the committee would like to thank you for your donation and for agreeing to cycle on Saturday July 5th.

You have chosen to donate €70.00 and not receive a sponsorship card.

Please click on the link below and print out your barcode. You will need to bring this barcode with you in order to sign-in and receive your bike number before the cycle.

This barcode is essentially your entry ticket to the event as you will not be able to collect your bike number without it.

Please use the following link to print your receipt.

< LINK >

It was a standard email that went out as far as I know.
    A lot of people said that the email got sent to spam folders, but who doesn't check spam folders periodically....from time to time I've checked my spam folder (gmail) to find important messages from friends and colleagues thrown in...I was the recipient of a voucher from boards.ie and if I hadn't checked my spam folder I wouldn't have known I got it.

As for a lack of response from official channels, the committee are up to their tonsils and have been all week, Killarney is heaving with the amount of ROK related activity taking place. Now is the time that final preparations are being made in terms medical teams, back up crews, food stops, sweepers, gardai, marshals, road closures, signs, etc... it's little wonder that there is a delay in people getting responses. THE ROK COMM and most of the support crews are volunteers, ie today is Friday, many of them have taken a day of work to help get ready for tomorrow.

Transferring registrations shouldn't be a problem, it is something that is being accounted for, but the reason ID is required is because the ROK COMM need to know who is taking the registrations.... ie if Mikey has an accident and needs medical attention/transfer to hospital they need to know who he is, not much point if he's using Bredas registration especially when she's in Majorca.

In terms of ID, it's something that you should have on you anyway...Drivers licence, National Age Card, Cycling Ireland Licence, Passport, Work ID, College ID, basically any photo ID that can be used as proof of identification

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Sackman

This is the email I received:

Thank you for registering for the 2014 Ring of Kerry Charity Cycle. This is an acknowledgment of your payment and on behalf of the benefiting charities the committee would like to thank you for your donation and for agreeing to cycle on Saturday July 5th.

You have chosen to donate €70.00 and not receive a sponsorship card.

Please click on the link below and print out your barcode. You will need to bring this barcode with you in order to sign-in and receive your bike number before the cycle.

This barcode is essentially your entry ticket to the event as you will not be able to collect your bike number without it.

Please use the following link to print your receipt.

< LINK >

It was a standard email that went out as far as I know.
    A lot of people said that the email got sent to spam folders, but who doesn't check spam folders periodically....from time to time I've checked my spam folder (gmail) to find important messages from friends and colleagues thrown in...I was the recipient of a voucher from boards.ie and if I hadn't checked my spam folder I wouldn't have known I got it.

As for a lack of response from official channels, the committee are up to their tonsils and have been all week, Killarney is heaving with the amount of ROK related activity taking place. Now is the time that final preparations are being made in terms medical teams, back up crews, food stops, sweepers, gardai, marshals, road closures, signs, etc... it's little wonder that there is a delay in people getting responses. THE ROK COMM and most of the support crews are volunteers, ie today is Friday, many of them have taken a day of work to help get ready for tomorrow.

Transferring registrations shouldn't be a problem, it is something that is being accounted for, but the reason ID is required is because the ROK COMM need to know who is taking the registrations.... ie if Mikey has an accident and needs medical attention/transfer to hospital they need to know who he is, not much point if he's using Bredas registration especially when she's in Majorca.

In terms of ID, it's something that you should have on you anyway...Drivers licence, National Age Card, Cycling Ireland Licence, Passport, Work ID, College ID, basically any photo ID that can be used as proof of identification

Can honestly say I never recieved that mail, neither have a few guys I know. Checked spam etc. Anyway will bring proof of payment and ID and hopefully this works out. Otherwise will bring enough money to buy food on the way and cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

willya wrote: »
    I don't think you can take that Strava measurement as accurate, it measures straight lines through windy sections examples:
    Sneem
    Blackwater bridge
    Run into Watervile

Must likely anytime is dropped GPS signal it would just do a straight line from the point it dropped to the point it picked up.

Being honest any time I've done the ring of Kerry of used a normal/fairly basic bike computer working of a magnet on the wheel. I've managed to get in about the 170km each of the three times I've done it. Where the 180km comes out of I've no idea. The only way I get 180km is I've been staying a couple of km from the start.

Good luck to anyone doing it tomorrow.

With the stuff that's cropped up(ID's etc) I happy I've given it a miss this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭lismore7

Met Eireann official forecast for Munster on Saturday

"Dry at first tomorrow with sunny spells. Showers in the west, some heavy will extend to all areas during the day and a few may be thundery. Highest temperatures of 15 to 17 degrees with moderate to fresh,occasionally southwest to west winds."

Gonna be wet & windy lads...so come prepared... might be mild but when your soaked to the skin on a windy day, you get very cold!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

Any point in wearing 'Skins' type leggings for the rain tomorrow?

Or would just cycling shorts and overshoes be as useful?

Have rain jacket, so only worried about the bottom half

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭Hani Kosti

Bit of vent
    Hope everyone without registration will be stopped during the day!!!
    Don't understand people asking for reg today, same story every year =(
    If you REALLY want to cycle ROK, sign up as soon as it's opened, book accommodation and mark the day in the calendar
    Good luck everyone tomorrow, stay dry and safe
    :p

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

willya wrote: »
    Sneem
    Blackwater bridge
    Run into Watervile

It's 170km.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 flynner5000

Hi Lads

Im a bit confused regarding registration and hoping someone can clarify

I bought a sponsporhip card(paid up) from someone who couldnt make it. Will I be able to register using my own ID?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

mossym wrote: »
    It's 170km.

this year it is! It is usually 172 if you use the Kenmare food stop which by all accounts has been moved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭okane1

Finished registration and flew through. About 10mins. Way better than last year. I was option B blue channel and no id required. Looking forward to it.

• Advertisement

Just registered and not a hitch, one or two quick checks, hand over your printout and you're away all of 30 seconds, excellent, no computers, no photo I.d. asked for, super smooth.
    Really buzzin in the town, RoK flags very prominent, stars and stripes as well it being july 4th. We were up around molls gap earlier, plenty of signage warning people of dangerous corners on the descent, With rain around it's going to be a tricky descent so hopefully no casualties folks.
    Really showery this afternoon no cold but it looks like rain gear and overshoes for tomorrow
    Here's hoping everyone enjoys their day and has a safe cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Jovetic

All this weather talk :(

Might roll over and stay in bed instead :cool: If it's windy it will feel like 250k :mad:

Just registered. 1 minute max. I was in the online blue lane. Didnt ask for photo id just took my sheet handed me a tag and wrote the tag number on the sheet which they kept.

There is a long queue for information. Not sure what that is about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

At 4pm the registration queue was about 300 metres long but it moved along well. Got soaked to the skin queuing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,677 ✭✭✭✭fits

Good luck tomorrow folks!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement