Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ring Of Kerry Charity Cycle 2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭Uberbeamerman

Another ROK over with, loved every minute of it. Blahblah06, sound out for the samples, great meeting you again :) . I was one of the marshals this year (so I kinda had an idea of what was going to be going on before the event) and really enjoyed it, a few people might have seen me around the first checkpoint in fossa, the bridge in Killorglin and around Coomakista and Molls Gap (I was wearing blue tinted sunglasses). It was great chatting to people too, met a few lovely people throughout the day.

Just to let people know a few things that I worked on over the course of the day;
    1/trying to keep people into the left (if people want to overtake it's better to give them the space to overtake than have them weaving in and out)...at one stage I came across a group cycling 6 abreast, people wearing earphones (oblivious to the traffic behind them)

2/people weaving cycling in a dangerous manner. I'd just pull up beside them and explain why I was talking to them. In fairness though anyone I talked to was fantastic. Any consistently bad behaviour or reckless behaviour was just reported to motorbike marshals and garda outriders, and back to HQ (numbers were taken).

3/@Masala, oncoming traffic I agree with what you said...I brought oncoming traffic through Cahirsiveen a few times (from the food stop through the town and out to the filling station on the way into the town), same with traffic descending Coomakista and Molls Gap, I went in front of them blowing the whistle and tried to get people in to stay to the left of the white line, I think it worked well.

@Jovitec the ROK is a charity event and everybody regardless of experience in cycling is welcome. "Novices" often raise hundreds if not thousands of euro for the day. In fact, there are some people who train specifically for the for the ROK alone and do no other cycles or sportifs, it's people like that who embody the spirit of the Ring of Kerry Charity Cycle.

It isn't a race, times and average speeds are irrelevant. In terms of descents people do have to be extra careful, and look out for these in front. It's not perfect, but with bike marshals now taking part we can pick up on any behaviour and offer advice. (We just explain what we saw and what we think would be a better method of cycling....one lad I saw was weaving in and out through cats eyes on the white line chicane style.... see points 1 and 2 previously)

All in all though I thought it was a fantastic day, fair play to Lidl, Nature Valley and Liam Lynch Motors for lending so much much support. Thanks to all the stewards that helped out, the charities that helped with the food stops, bike repair teams, gardai, first aid and ambulance personnel, my fellow marshals and of course the organisers. There is already feedback from this year (if you noticed it, other people noticed it, and it will be filtered back to the ROK COMM) that will be factored into the planning of next years event.

See y'all then!
    Uberbeamerman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Jovetic wrote: »
    I think I will stay on my own. Too many people (and too many novices) do the ROK. In the interests of safety they should cap the numbers at 6 or 7k but the $$$ would be down :rolleyes: It's great that so many people of all sizes are out cycling, just not sure if their ticker would handle Molls Gap, I saw one guy who was at least 25 stone

& fair fux to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭The Davestator

My first ROK and loved it. Great scenery and people. Did it with my non cyclist brother and we took it easy and just enjoyed it. Registration was painless, but the tea situation in carsaveen needs to be addressed!
    Also, the end was bedlam but small gripes overall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

& fair fux to him.

Very good friend of mine did it, who is close to that weight.

Had very very little training done; not very smart but manly stuff.

ford2600 wrote: »
    Very good friend of mine did it, who is close to that weight.

Had very very little training done; not very smart but manly stuff.

I'm not that far off it myself!!
    (did f**k all training for it this year, absolutely died before Sneem. major bonk).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

And that 14-L jeep that was going around :mad: What sad cycling club needs a team car to follow them around. Can they not carry their own spare tubes? I kept getting stuck next to it and it penned in a lot of cyclists to one lane. Sad sad bunch of :

Agree. Came across that jeep loads of times. What was the point? That driver needs to learn to drive more carefully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Great event! Big thanks to everyone involved!

What was with the 4 lads on tri bike drafting each other while using aero bars?
    Why would you use aero bars when it's so dangerous for an event like this.
    I'm a fairly weak cyclist and passed them on molls gap so they must be inexperienced cyclists which makes the use of aero bars even more dangerous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Masala wrote: »
    Some smart b...ix roared at me to keep left and he got a series of foul language back from me that he wont forget..
    A rider from another club (which shall remain nameless) drafted me for a while. When he took the lead he started shouting at people ahead to move over. I quickly decided to distance myself from him.

Much as I like to move along nicely, I simply waited for a safe moment when there were riders ahead of me. That being said, I saw some very dangerous moves by less experienced riders - especially erratic weaving when taking/replacing a bottle or taking food.

Was there supposed to be a proper finish line or marker? When we arrived back in Kilarney there was nothing to indicate a finish.

tuxy wrote: »
    Great event! Big thanks to everyone involved!

What was with the 4 lads on tri bike drafting each other while using aero bars?
    Why would you use aero bars when it's so dangerous for an event like this.
    I'm a fairly weak cyclist and passed them on molls gap so they must be inexperienced cyclists which makes the use of aero bars even more dangerous.
    its an oldie:
    http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/video-great-slow-motion-footage-showing-just-how-easy-most-crashes-happen-well-worth-a-look/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

Was there supposed to be a proper finish line or marker? When we arrived back in Kilarney there was nothing to indicate a finish.

Where did you finish? How did you miss the actual finish? Huge banner and finishing area with the music and expo and thousands of people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Jovetic

how did you miss it :confused:

rok-2013-1.jpg

There was a drone aswell filming at Molls Gap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

flatface wrote: »
    Great day out today, sun shone and any downpour was strong but brief. I was wearing a green boards jersey and got a few 'boardsie' shouts. Chatted briefly to Buffalo who isn't in fact a grumpy grey haired old man after all. And also to Outlaw was it?

Good to meet you, Flatface. Buffalo left Caherciveen ahead of us, went off to do his Skellig Loop, and still caught us in Kenmare. That's some impressive cycling. And we were fairly motoring.
    Great day overall, apart from that wicked shower coming into Kenmare. My feet were squelching at the food stop. That half-recumbent tandem thing was the business. Looked like great fun.
    My only disappointment was getting to Molls Gap, and discovering there was no red bull. No red bull, I tells ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭micha5L

My first ROK. Great experience. Considering the event stretches over 180k the organisation was brilliant. Many thanks to the marshals. They kept many people safe.

Actually, speaking of distance, why does it say 180 km long everywhere when it's not? The strava map had it at 169 and so did I on my garmin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭davgtrek

Now that's impressive !!!
    hope i attached this pic.

Actually, speaking of distance, why does it say 180 km long everywhere when it's not? The strava map had it at 169 and so did I on my garmin.

My bike computer also showed well under 180km. Even taking a quick look at the route the night beforehand I knew it would be at least 7km under. The official posters and jerseys all say 180

My bike computer also showed well under 180km. Even taking a quick look at the route the night beforehand I knew it would be at least 7km under. The official posters and jerseys all say 180

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Tourman

tuxy wrote: »

If you cycle like me you may have to weave your way up the hills and thats were you get the extra few kms.!!!!!!!!!!!

...Was there supposed to be a proper finish line or marker? When we arrived back in Kilarney there was nothing to indicate a finish.
    Axel Lamp wrote: »
    Where did you finish? How did you miss the actual finish? Huge banner and finishing area with the music and expo and thousands of people
    No banner, finishing area or music when we finished. Several of us were looking around puzzled and wondering if this was it. The road was open to traffic and the barriers in the pic above were at the side of the road. Bit of an anti-climax!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

No banner, finishing area or music when we finished. Several of us were looking around puzzled and wondering if this was it. The road was open to traffic and the barriers in the pic above were at the side of the road. Bit of an anti-climax!

What was the fastest time does anybody know ? Thought i did very well this year , 5h 11mins with an average 32kmh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

What time did you finish at , it must of been very early ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭slegs

What was the fastest time does anybody know ? Thought i did very well this year , 5h 11mins with an average 32kmh

It's not a race so no one is monitoring times except individuals themselves

sullzz wrote: »
    What time did you finish at , it must of been very early ?
    Finished at about 12.10pm - they mustn't have had it set up then. :(

I got in a bit after that and it was set up , it's bad form that it wasn't set up for before your time as a lot of people started before 6am and would be well finished by 12 .

• Registered Users Posts: 32 willya

The big inflatable green thing?Same as the one from where you started.

My first ROK, fairly enjoyed it, done it solo. Spotted my first boards jersey (pink and black one, blue bike white bar tape) going up to Molls gap. Spotted the corn flakes jersey at Molls gap also.

My 2 cents on the clubs 'bombing' around and keeping right.

In most cases clubs/other faster riders over took on the right and generally have no complaints and I like the "on your right shout". Only negitive I saw was descending down of Molls gap/Ladies View one club blue gear group of approx. 7/8 were pretty obnoxious cutting the line they wanted into the corners, not keeping right to overtake, and shouting at other cyclist to get out of the way, it meant other riders had to break hard or pull in tight to the side. It was wreckless.

Otherwise clubs were fine and the only other thing that pissed me of about them was on the climb to Coomakista they were working for each other, whereas I was suffering!
    People shouldn't take it personally that someone is letting them know they are overtaking them or being asked to let someone by them, once it is don't politely.

People not keeping left was an issue.
    I think the ROK should send out a "How to Cycle the Ring" or a "ROK Editcate" type mail to all about a week ahead of next years event and the keep left signage mentioned I agree would help. Generally it is not that hard a concept for people to follow, it is somewhat the same rules as motorway driving, left lane is slow moving, middle lane faster pace and right for over taking. Check and indicate before you pull out.
    If you don't expect a shout.
    That said people on the left should be not pushed into the ditch and allowed room as they are generally not the most confident/experienced on their bikes and can feel trapped in large groups and not able to pull out to avoid bad areas of road.
    This why some slower movers pull out to the centre.
    Also riders need to understand they are riding in a group of individual riders all at different levels and experience not a pellathon. In most cases common sense or some awareness of who's around you would prevent a lot of this.

Great event, well run and looking forward to next year already.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Jovetic

Back at 12 :eek:

Sure there were probably a few people only just leaving at that stage

willya wrote: »
    The big inflatable green thing?Same as the one from where you started.
    Wasn't set up until later apparently. I don't recall one at the start either.
    willya... wrote:
    I think the ROK should send out a "How to Cycle the Ring" or a "ROK Editcate" type mail to all about a week ahead of next years event and the keep left signage mentioned I agree would help. Generally it is not that hard a concept for people to follow,This why some slower movers pull out to the centre...
    I'd say that might put many occasional cyclists off doing it. In fairness to them, it is really their day out and a major achievement for most.
    Back at 12 :eek:

Sure there were probably a few people only just leaving at that stage
    There were a good few ahead of me also looking for the finish line!

(I was surprised how flat it was - hence I finished a lot sooner than I anticipated. I expected a lot more climbing - no real need for the small ring :).)

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Listrydude

Seemingly there was a big problem with double registrations in that someone had the one registration printed and gave copies to others. Then in the need to get the flow moving last Friday, those at the desks only recorded the numbers as opposed to scanning the bar codes. I know the queues last year were a nightmare but people are taking the total piss by using a copy and not even paying money to any charity. Anyway, seemingly those multiples are being investigated and the name contacted!

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭rob180

Apart from someone knocking me down. (Saw his mates on the side of the road whilst overtaking me and decided to join them, no warning, no indication and no shout. Just turn into me and knocking me off my bike). My first RoK and i really enjoyed it. Will do it again next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭Masala

I was with my club and on a slight decent somewhere, I remember being
    on the front of a 5 man train behind me, "bombing" or what I would of called
    cruising, down the right when some guy in all black near the centre just started moving right without looking over his shoulder. I'm not saying it was you, I don't who he was but I had to let out a shout of "on your right" to him, If I didn't more than one of us would of been waking up in hospital this morning.

I was in Club Gear - so that wasn't me above! As a Club member - I understand the 'on the right' shout and it works 99.9999% of the time. But tell me - why do Clubs have to go so fast around this event??? What exactly is the point - there is no prize monies, no medals, no podium finish??? I checked over my shoulder - moved to pass a slower group and BAM - these boys on my tail roaring 'pull it left'. Now I had the line... and not my problem that they don't want to slow down. This is NOT THE EVENT for this type of behaviour. The mix and match at this event means pure social cycling and fun day out. They could have killed someone - and chances are it wouldn't be themselves - they wanted me to push left into a group of cyclists that I just couldn't get into. So it ok for me to clip some poor unfortunate so that this group could pass. I JUST CAN'T UNDERSTAND WHAT THEY ARE DOING AT THIS EVENT. I'm sorry for the rant - but I am so mad at their arrogance.

I am going to suggest to the Committee that they put a set of Marshals (in situ) along the event next year and record (camera would be fine) instances where these guys are 'bombing'.... there is no other word for it - they were going too fast to stop in a reasonable distance.

If that was correlated to a car speed - it would be considered 'reckless' and the book would be thrown at you if there was an accident.

Rant over

(I was surprised how flat it was - hence I finished a lot sooner than I anticipated. I expected a lot more climbing - no real need for the small ring :).)

Yeah , I was expecting a lot more climbing myself , and molls gap was nothing compared to what I was led to believe

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

outfox wrote: »
    Good to meet you, Flatface. Buffalo left Caherciveen ahead of us, went off to do his Skellig Loop, and still caught us in Kenmare. That's some impressive cycling. And we were fairly motoring.
    Great day overall, apart from that wicked shower coming into Kenmare. My feet were squelching at the food stop. That half-recumbent tandem thing was the business. Looked like great fun.
    My only disappointment was getting to Molls Gap, and discovering there was no red bull. No red bull, I tells ya.

Cheers Outfox, I had forgotten about the red bull but wasn't there a boardsie on a high 5 stand there last year? Was looking forlornly for him at the top of molls gap to juice up for the final run in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Well that's another RoK done and dusted, my 4th and another super day out. Started at 6ish expecting the roads to be relatively quite but they were packed so we had no problem falling into a group and pedaling along. Even at that early hour a few locals out cheering us along, thats one of the reasons this event is so special.
    Avoided the food stop in Cahersiveen and went to a petrol station, the turn off into the food stop looked a bit chaotic, some bikes turning some not and cars going in both directions guards and stewards on hand but it looked a bit dodgy. And then it rained, all the way waterville just about.
    It stopped in time for Coomakista, its always a great sight seeing the mountain road ahead of you, and its covered in cyclists, all with a common purpose, enjoy the day and raising money for worthy causes, took it nice and steady on the climb, was glad to stop at the top and stretch the legs, always spectacular views up there but on we went, Sneem wasn't too bad when we got there stopped for more grub and onto Kenmare through a thunder storm, it really was biblical stuff, lots stopped and took shelter but we soldiered on.
    New food stop in Kenmare, I had never been to the old food stop, a bit out of the way but the new one was was fine, well Marshalled and plenty to eat, jeez I never saw so much currant bread in my life and a much needed cup of coffee. So off up molls gap we went, lots of tired bodies on the mountain, the big groups of earlier had given way to bunches of two's and three's now, it was a slog but we got there, it was a bit flat up there, no red bull and no tunes?
    Anyway we stopped to recover for a bit, thankfully it was dry on the descent, signs a plenty warning of dangerous corners, stewards on hand as well.
    Back to Killarney and a great reception, food, drink,music and craic, lots of weary bodies but all for worthy causes.
    Pros...extremely well organized, for such a big event, I can only imagine the logistics of putting this together.no shortage of any of the cyclists requirements on the day.
    Cons... the turn into the cahersiveen stop was risky, molls gap was lacking in atmosphere, some beats, and red bull would have been great. Passing on the left, very dangerous, especially when they don't call out.
    We saw a few tips on the day, a guy descending from Coomakista ended up in some greenery, his buddy was with him, left arm seemed hurt, some road rash near glenbeigh, and an ambulance later on heading in the Kenmare direction. I hope all are ok.
    A huge thanks to everyone involved in organizing the cycle, committee, volunteers, and everyone who is any way involved in this terrific day.
    See you all in 2015.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

Tis true, its not the climbing you would get as in the Mick Byrne etc...but the way some go on you would swear Molls Gap was 22% for 11k

Tis true, its not the climbing you would get as in the Mick Byrne etc...but the way some go on you would swear Molls Gap was 22% for 11k

Ya a newbie to the RoK i spoke to ,has done Wicklow 200, SkT160 etc had heard all kinds of stories, he was very under whelmed.

• Advertisement

I was in Club Gear - so that wasn't me above! As a Club member - I understand the 'on the right' shout and it works 99.9999% of the time. But tell me - why do Clubs have to go so fast around this event??? What exactly is the point - there is no prize monies, no medals, no podium finish??? I checked over my shoulder - moved to pass a slower group and BAM - these boys on my tail roaring 'pull it left'. Now I had the line... and not my problem that they don't want to slow down. This is NOT THE EVENT for this type of behaviour. The mix and match at this event means pure social cycling and fun day out. They could have killed someone - and chances are it wouldn't be themselves - they wanted me to push left into a group of cyclists that I just couldn't get into. So it ok for me to clip some poor unfortunate so that this group could pass. I JUST CAN'T UNDERSTAND WHAT THEY ARE DOING AT THIS EVENT. I'm sorry for the rant - but I am so mad at their arrogance.

I am going to suggest to the Committee that they put a set of Marshals (in situ) along the event next year and record (camera would be fine) instances where these guys are 'bombing'.... there is no other word for it - they were going too fast to stop in a reasonable distance.

If that was correlated to a car speed - it would be considered 'reckless' and the book would be thrown at you if there was an accident.

Rant over

I'm not a club cyclist, but I think you're out of order for this. Some clubs use it as their annual spin, train for it and want a tough workout together. They do fly by and fair play to them. All the ones I saw were well behaved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Well I managed to hold onto my registration and heard of people getting sorted on Friday evening, hassle-free.

Registration on Friday was just so handy. Queueing in the rain for only 10-12mins before walking in; handing over my barcode and receiving my band and tag and had my number recorded on my barcode. Bought me a RofK bottle and off I went home.
    Only then did I get to doing some necessary maintenance on my bike as I was not certain of cycling; but a full-service she will have this week.

Had my first ever mechanical on a sportive; just outside Killorglin. Only for being able to un-clip so fast from my cleats I was gone over with my bike. The chain doubled back on itself after shifting gears and stop!
    Waited all of 15seconds before a motorbike marshal/mechanic/God-send was on scene and within 1min I was back peddling again. Now, if more people could be that optimistic & pleasant in this country at that hour, we'd be in a much better place. Lovely gent! :)

Plenty of stops taken this year. Done no cycling since June 15th and climbed Mangerton Mountain Monday 30th and still found the 180km okay. Finished later than last year, but hey, I enjoyed my day (for the most part) and all considering I lost so much training time after my Late Loving Dad passed away.

Saw one marshal stepping onto the centre-line to wag his fingers and mouth off at one cyclist 'bombing' it and weaving.
    Plenty of support vehicles visible en route also.

I stopped to assist one cyclist just after Kenmare and when we were done; a car from Sullivans Cycles pulled in & two hopped out to ensure all okay. Unreal support this year!

Spotted 7 Cycling Marshals throughout the day keeping an eye on proceedings. Put mind to rest in places I can tell ya as it was simply manic at times with the crowds; bunching; speed; elbows being hit and bikes weaving to maintain balance. My heart was in my mouth on more than a few occasions so he took the outside and let me cycle on inner lane :o

Wonderful company. The rain after Sneem was so perfect timing. Just beginning to drag on when the skies opened and gave me a new lease of life, just perfect. Enjoyed cycling in the rain, a lovely change.

Finished my cycle soaked wet & sun-burned, yup! You read that right.

They moved the main event from Molls Gap to Kenmare & moved the food-stop to the Fire Station and that was a great personal lift before the climb to Molls Gap.

The food-stops were breath-taking with the selection and smiles, banter, war-stories and general positive vibes.

To the Guards at Torc stopping traffic from joining main road until I had passed; to the Guard stopping traffic from Ross Road until I had passed - I Thank You both again. Said Thanks on passing, but here you go again.

Hoping all injured make speedy recoveries.
    Glad I done my 2nd Ring of Kerry Charity Cycle, It was better than expected.

Thanking All Involved,
    kerry4sam

/I did hear some frightening stories at work this morning from cyclists, but thankfully I never saw anything first-hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The aul fella did it in just under 7hrs, noted lots of photogs around the course. Anyone know where the pics will be posted? Are they comissioned by ROK?

ED E wrote: »
    The aul fella did it in just under 7hrs, noted lots of photogs around the course. Anyone know where the pics will be posted? Are they comissioned by ROK?

Tuesdays Irish Examiner has a RoK photo special supplement. No doubt Enda and Roz will feature, a few of us may as well :D. Killarney Camera club will post more on line in a few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

I'm not a club cyclist, but I think you're out of order for this. Some clubs use it as their annual spin, train for it and want a tough workout together. They do fly by and fair play to them. All the ones I saw were well behaved.

Not a club cyclist either, but I really don't see what is wrong with people trying to set a time at these events. Club cyclists are surely the most experienced group cyclists on the event and know what they are doing.

It's the solo newbies like me that you have to watch out for ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Hu Deman

My third time this year and the most enjoyable(training really did pay off).
    Was disapointed with Molls this year seemed to be no atmosphere.Still had a great day
    and thanks again to all those volunteers who make it what it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 82 ✭✭New2bike

I started out at 6.30 and was done for bang on 3pm there was no missing the big green banner and music at that stage everything was in full flow great event and thoroughly enjoyed it very fast at food stops and water stops and no hassle all the way round although there was one guy in very bad condition on the decent from coomakista I presume that was who the ambulance was for hope he's ok, met some nice people along the way and can't wait for next year already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭Masala

Originally Posted by The Davestator viewpost.gif

This is a CHARITY cycle.... not a Sportif like An Post series. Different kettle of fish altogether. This is not held out by the Organisers as a ' tough workout together'. It should be taken as a fun-cycle and a social event.... Clubs can organise their own ' tough workouts ' outside of this event.
    Not a club cyclist either, but I really don't see what is wrong with people trying to set a time at these events. Club cyclists are surely the most experienced group cyclists on the event and know what they are doing.

You are right - club cyclists are the most experienced around. SO - they should realise that the rest of the people around them are no so experienced. If they were in a Club Race Meeting - all cyclists would be of the same mind. But this is a different event and not all are experience.

This is a CHARITY cycle.... not a Sportif like An Post series. Different kettle of fish altogether. This is not held out by the Organisers as a ' tough workout together'. It should be taken as a fun-cycle and a social event.... Clubs can organise their own ' tough workouts ' outside of this event.

It is a charity cycle but does that mean you have to cycle slowly? Why don't you go off and do a slow charity cycle if it bothers you that much?
    These club people train all year and maybe they want to beat last years time, maybe they want to put their training to the test, maybe they like cycling at their pace (which is faster than yours)

Each to their own

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,534 ✭✭✭daymobrew

how did you miss it :confused:

rok-2013-1.jpg

There was a drone aswell filming at Molls Gap
    Stealing pics of me! :P
    That photo was taken in 2013. You can tell from the sun.
    I didn't see the photographers that time but did see them this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Great day today , I was expecting worse weather than what we had , I saw a few boardies , spoke to flat face and I think his name was Doc o7 , I also have a shout to a boards or in a green jersey who was with a girl wearing the green kits bib shorts , I also gave a shout to a lad in a pink jersey near the top of mols gap , I was waiting near the top to take pics of the rest of my group you seemed to be flying up .

I'm going to say that was me, because I had unfinished business with Mol's gap.

@donal - heard the calls but didn't realise it was you. Didn't see any other pink jerseys. Lots of Orwell ones though.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭fiacc

Heres's some of Jim McSweeneys pics, he's always done a great job with photos and more will be uploaded over the next few days.

https://www.facebook.com/jim.mcsweeney.3/media_set?set=a.774265429292967.1073741965.100001285502599&type=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

This was my first ROK (first ever cycling event). I don't think there is too much wrong with people going fast, as long as the communicate properly and in time. I know by the end of it, i was communicating properly. It might actually be an idea for the organisers to issue a list of cycling/rok etiquette. because there was some slow cyclists taking up the middle of the road and keeping changing their line and breaking, and i found it difficult to maintain my momentum after the first climb (the one out off waterville) because I couldn't overtake all these people safely. and i am an overweight cycling novice, so I can only imagine how frustrating this was for experienced conditioned cyclists.

Great day though, missed all the rain :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭youtheman

I cycled with my club at (what I thought was) a reasonable average speed of 28 km/hr. Only time I got into a 'debate' with another cyclist was when I came upon 4 or 5 of them in line abreast after Ladies View. I asked the fellow on the right (and he was on the extreme right) if he could move left and the response I got was 'it's not a race'. I know it is not a race, but if you block the road then nobody can pass and there will be mayhem. I think everybody should be allowed to cycle at their own pace (within reason), as long as it is safe. It's the only time of the year that I can come down Moll's Gas on a closed rode so I'm going to give it welly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Great day today , I was expecting worse weather than what we had , I saw a few boardies , spoke to flat face and I think his name was Doc o7 , I also have a shout to a boards or in a green jersey who was with a girl wearing the green kits bib shorts , I also gave a shout to a lad in a pink jersey near the top of mols gap , I was waiting near the top to take pics of the rest of my group you seemed to be flying up .

that would have been me and the mrs, got a good few boardsie shouts and was chatting to a fela at the top of molls gap who for the life of me i cant remember his name (apologies)
    was taking it at a nice handy pace for most of day as i was with herself, but got to finally let loose going up molls :D did it in about 20 minutes and was delighted with myself :o
    anyone know what was with the ghostbusters :pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement