Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ring Of Kerry Charity Cycle 2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭bazzer86

It was actually in Killorglin. I spoke to some of the committee around the time it happened and they seemed genuinely horrified that it had happened. It was definitely poor form though.

What happened?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

BailMeOut wrote: »
    I see the €70 on my credit card so the transaction worked.

Email just came through!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭Uberbeamerman

Thats something that hopefully will be addressed, the queues last year were horrendous, we were there well over an hour and others were queuing a lot longer than us, surely people who went for the e70 only option could have their tags sent out in advance?

Generally with the Ring of Kerry if there is a problem (ie with the queues last year or with food stops in previous years) the problem is sorted and greatly improved for the year after. In my years of doing the ROK there has never been a recurring problem relating to organisation....

Generally with the Ring of Kerry if there is a problem (ie with the queues last year or with food stops in previous years) the problem is sorted and greatly improved for the year after. In my years of doing the ROK there has never been a recurring problem relating to organisation....

The organizers sent this out in January after the survey they did
    You may be aware that we conducted a survey after this years event and while most of the results were extremely positive there are clearly some issues that need to be addressed – you will be hearing more on this later. You will be happy to hear that we are well on the way to solving our Friday night registration problems and ensuring that we prevent a recurrence of the long queues of this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 49 nooneuno

I have done 12 Ring of Kerry cycles at this stage and I know of people in my group who have done closer to 20. Every year we would have made a reasonable voluntary donation (circa €50) because as you said yourself it is a charity cycle and in aid of very worthy causes. My issue with this is that there are a huge number of cyclists from outside Munster who travel down each year who have to pay travel expenses, accommodation and food/drink as well as the entry fee. What will happen then is that it will discourage people from outside the area to take part as it is becoming too expensive, it is a great event and extremely well run but to ask people to fork out € 70 is in my opinion a little bit much, especially as it was € 60 last year so by that logic will it be € 80 next year. It is that which will damage the goodwill towards the event.

Well said, I was going to travel this year from North Mayo but definitely changed my mind when I saw the price. It's costly enough when you count in diesel, accommodation and food. The price is only heading in one direction...and that's towards 100e.

I guess there are so many charity cycles now, one has to decide which one suits them best as they're very costly to take part it in when yuo add up everything unless they're on your door step.

There's the argument that one could do the cycle the day before or after but we all like to participate in an event. For me, if we're talking about leisure cycles / sportives - The An Post Series has it down !

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Tourman

bazzer86 wrote: »
    They did stress that if you do not have a number, you wont be able to do it? Not sure if that will work effectively. Why have the organisers a hostile attitude towards clubs?

Is there a noticeable issue with plonkers thinking they are riding the tour de France and abusing people to get out of their way?

I wasn't aware of a hostile attitude toward clubs. I know that they did ask that clubs start early so as to avoid difficulties with leisure cyclists who would by definition be slower and it is a leisure cycle event .

On the two occasions I have taken part I have found it a wonderful event. The first year I had great help from a club rider who took the time to assist me up the a climb with advice I still take on board.

With so many people taking part there will be
    those who just get on with it:)
    those that are jealous of the efficiency of club riders and:
    those that seem to think that the leisure cyclist is a pest.:

I am looking forward to another great day (weekend) out.
    I wish every one a great day out and try to ignore those that are just waiting to be offended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

Still no confirmation email. I emailed them about it last week and still haven't gotten back to me :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16 doniek79

It is quite interesting to read all the different opinions on the ROK throughout the thread so i guess I would add my own, sorry if it's a bit long but had alot of discussion with others lately about it.

The bottom line is it is a great day out and the move of the finish line into the town last year was a super move it makes it feel even better finsihing (my 5th time last year) and also a huge improvements made by the organisers on the food stops last year.

Being from Kerry and all the main beneficaries are Kerry Charitites, as soon as the anouncement comes each year of who they are they are like savages around locally looking for you to sign up for them (don't get me wrong I am all for raising money for charity I have been involved personally in raising 40,000 for charities in recent years) because the organising committee has requested each charity to sign up a minimum amount of cyclists each, what I am getting at the organisers have put a big onus on trying to pass the 1 million mark in recent years and well done they have done it but I believe the focus on trying raise so much money is taking away from event itself and turning people off.

Why can't a person raise money for the event and not have to pick one individual charity?
    Why they more than less force people to sign up for a indivdual charity so they don't have to que for hours the evening before?
    Why have so many beneficiaries each year? (some of the charities have been there the last couple of years and even more)
    Why not give the money raised to just 2 or 3 charities this year and they be exempt for a number of years before being considered again and they make one big killing each?
    Why not charge veryone just 50euro each to participate and 70/80 euro if you would like a jersey with and charge you 5euro extra if you would like your bike tag etc. posted out to you. (or a sign on the week before for local peolpe - get us out of the way for visitors to the town).

I met 2 of the organising committee last year on Friday evening and I pointed towards the huge que of sign on and mentioned it being a disaster and they both had a opinion that it added to the atmosphere, I had a work colleague from Dublin there with me that had qued for 2.5 hrs after a 3 hour train journey responded with "what a load of bo**ix" but she was bustling with joy at the finishing line the following day so all was fogiven at that stage.

Just back from South Africa and they had cycle event in Cape Town called the 'Argus Tour'(biggest cycle event in Africa for professionals to beginners) 35,000 people do it @ 40euro each and they raise 1 million a year and it is only 105k with beautiful scenary around the Cape but the key to this I believe are the roads are totally closed for the whole day for it. This takes away alot of danger as in the ROK we have rolling road closures and then parts of it is closed one way and so on but this adds confusion and because of big numbers alot have to cycle on the wrong side of the road and then coming in to Cahersiveen a car is coming against all of a sudden. This has lead to alot of accidents.
    They also have a specfic start time with the elite off first and so on. Similar to what organisers do for marathons.

I was a lesiure cyclists for years and we started a club only last year and the amount of people that joined a club for the first time that went "oh really I thought they were shouting at me" when we told them that someone cycles up behind you and you hear them shout "LEFT" they are warning the members of their own group that there is something/someone on the their left that they are about to overtake. Or they may say " on your right" just to warn you they are overtaking you just incase you may swerve out without seeing them, this is all part of cycling etiquette and if peolple that follow this are a bunch of dicks then I am a dick also.

Asking cycling clubs a few years ago to leave at 6:30 to be gone before the main crowd of individual leisure cyclists was not thinking it through because for people that are attempting it for the first time or don't do that much cycling have this personnal fear that it will take them alot longer than it actually will and they are leaving from 5am onwards.

What we are recommending for any strong cyclist that are looking to do it in a short time is to leave it untill 10am when the roads are alot quieter at the start and the crowd has well spread out you will catch the bigger numbers towards the end but you will be tired then and you will hit killarney at a great time between 4-5pm when the finish line is pumping with atmosphere.

They say 8,500 have done it the last few years, I would safetly say the last 2 years it has been nearer to 10,000. There was mentions of splitting it into 2 days but that would seriously take from the atmosphere and especially every 2 years on the Sunday the munster final could be on with another 30,000 peolple in the town.
    Distance is 172k and I would be very surprised if the climbing is anything more than 1400 metres. There is nothing very steep average gradient of Coomakista and Moll Gap is 3.5%.

At the end of the day, it is one of the best days you will have on a bike easily, once the weather gods are with us and those who like to set records maybe leave our garmins at home that day and those are thinking who feel group cyclists think they have a bigger right on the road, they don't and they don't think so either.

outfox wrote: »
    Has anyone done this on a mountain bike? I did it last year for the first time, and found that trying to go fast on a road bike was a waste of time (and dangerous), as the route is packed. So this year I'm thinking of crusing, and generally chilling out. Is doing this on a mountain bike feasible? It would be good training, but would it be torture? Thoughts appreciated.

Lots have done it on mountain bikes, a work colleague did it on a bmx for a bet one year but he was sorry, question marks doing it on a mountain bike, I wouldn't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭bazzer86

doniek79 wrote: »
    It is quite interesting to read all the different opinions on the ROK throughout the thread so i guess I would add my own, sorry if it's a bit long but had alot of discussion with others lately about it.

The bottom line is it is a great day out and the move of the finish line into the town last year was a super move it makes it feel even better finsihing (my 5th time last year) and also a huge improvements made by the organisers on the food stops last year.

Being from Kerry and all the main beneficaries are Kerry Charitites, as soon as the anouncement comes each year of who they are they are like savages around locally looking for you to sign up for them (don't get me wrong I am all for raising money for charity I have been involved personally in raising 40,000 for charities in recent years) because the organising committee has requested each charity to sign up a minimum amount of cyclists each, what I am getting at the organisers have put a big onus on trying to pass the 1 million mark in recent years and well done they have done it but I believe the focus on trying raise so much money is taking away from event itself and turning people off.

Why can't a person raise money for the event and not have to pick one individual charity?
    Why they more than less force people to sign up for a indivdual charity so they don't have to que for hours the evening before?
    Why have so many beneficiaries each year? (some of the charities have been there the last couple of years and even more)
    Why not give the money raised to just 2 or 3 charities this year and they be exempt for a number of years before being considered again and they make one big killing each?
    Why not charge veryone just 50euro each to participate and 70/80 euro if you would like a jersey with and charge you 5euro extra if you would like your bike tag etc. posted out to you. (or a sign on the week before for local peolpe - get us out of the way for visitors to the town).

I met 2 of the organising committee last year on Friday evening and I pointed towards the huge que of sign on and mentioned it being a disaster and they both had a opinion that it added to the atmosphere, I had a work colleague from Dublin there with me that had qued for 2.5 hrs after a 3 hour train journey responded with "what a load of bo**ix" but she was bustling with joy at the finishing line the following day so all was fogiven at that stage.

Just back from South Africa and they had cycle event in Cape Town called the 'Argus Tour'(biggest cycle event in Africa for professionals to beginners) 35,000 people do it @ 40euro each and they raise 1 million a year and it is only 105k with beautiful scenary around the Cape but the key to this I believe are the roads are totally closed for the whole day for it. This takes away alot of danger as in the ROK we have rolling road closures and then parts of it is closed one way and so on but this adds confusion and because of big numbers alot have to cycle on the wrong side of the road and then coming in to Cahersiveen a car is coming against all of a sudden. This has lead to alot of accidents.
    They also have a specfic start time with the elite off first and so on. Similar to what organisers do for marathons.

I was a lesiure cyclists for years and we started a club only last year and the amount of people that joined a club for the first time that went "oh really I thought they were shouting at me" when we told them that someone cycles up behind you and you hear them shout "LEFT" they are warning the members of their own group that there is something/someone on the their left that they are about to overtake. Or they may say " on your right" just to warn you they are overtaking you just incase you may swerve out without seeing them, this is all part of cycling etiquette and if peolple that follow this are a bunch of dicks then I am a dick also.

Asking cycling clubs a few years ago to leave at 6:30 to be gone before the main crowd of individual leisure cyclists was not thinking it through because for people that are attempting it for the first time or don't do that much cycling have this personnal fear that it will take them alot longer than it actually will and they are leaving from 5am onwards.

What we are recommending for any strong cyclist that are looking to do it in a short time is to leave it untill 10am when the roads are alot quieter at the start and the crowd has well spread out you will catch the bigger numbers towards the end but you will be tired then and you will hit killarney at a great time between 4-5pm when the finish line is pumping with atmosphere.

They say 8,500 have done it the last few years, I would safetly say the last 2 years it has been nearer to 10,000. There was mentions of splitting it into 2 days but that would seriously take from the atmosphere and especially every 2 years on the Sunday the munster final could be on with another 30,000 peolple in the town.
    Distance is 172k and I would be very surprised if the climbing is anything more than 1400 metres. There is nothing very steep average gradient of Coomakista and Moll Gap is 3.5%.

At the end of the day, it is one of the best days you will have on a bike easily, once the weather gods are with us and those who like to set records maybe leave our garmins at home that day and those are thinking who feel group cyclists think they have a bigger right on the road, they don't and they don't think so either.

Well put... fair play... Hearing all the horror stories about the queuing, im regretting picking the option 2 and paying up front.. Have ties in Valentia, so probably should have used the €70 towards their charity. Wasting my time asking to swap to option 1 do you reckon?

• Advertisement

Still no confirmation email. I emailed them about it last week and still haven't gotten back to me :rolleyes:

I emailed them twice and they replied a few minutes after the second one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭Uberbeamerman

Well put... fair play... Hearing all the horror stories about the queuing, im regretting picking the option 2 and paying up front.. Have ties in Valentia, so probably should have used the €70 towards their charity. Wasting my time asking to swap to option 1 do you reckon?

Fair enough the queuing was a bit of an oversight last year..I can pretty much guarantee that the same will not happen this year. Its the ROK, mistakes or oversights relating to organisation may happen once, but they never happen again. I can understand a lot of the frustration people have for the queuing but it will not happen this year, same with the food stops, they needed improving->they were improved->everybody's happy :) . You mentioned it to two members of the committee last year? They knew that there was a problem, it was stressful for everyone that Friday believe me any one that was involved in the organisation of the cycle was up to their eyes in pressure so mightn't have been able to give sufficient time to every query.

The ability to register with a particular charity was done so as to cut down on the massive administration hours that the voluntary committee put in to organising the event each year. By registering with a charity, it is the charity that take responsibility for collecting the money after. The committee are a voluntary body, they work 9-6, 5 days a week, and with the ROK its a case of half an hour for dinner and meetings from 7-10 pm about 3 days a week so there is a massive amount of pressure on their shoulders. In terms of charging people for this and for that ryanair style it increases the workload for everyone, and increases the probability of error...best have one simple system for people that can be perfected..

As regards closing off the roads and the confusion, it is large route that is popular with tourists throughout the summer (as well as the local populations) so it wouldn't really be realistic to close off all the roads...yes I agree that in parts you'd have to keep your eyes and ears open to hear what's going on....again its an issue that I'd bet will be solved this year. Just on a side note, I cycled last year keeping left of the white line where I could, I didn't cross over the white line unless I was overtaking a large group and that I could see what was ahead of me...perhaps this could be looked at and information passed out at registration (a short leaflet).... (I had to pass people straddling the white line for no apparent reason).

In terms of cycling clubs.......again there's a bit of discussion going on with a bit of hissing and spitting on both sides. Interesting video up on Youtube...needless to say this contributed to some of the bad feeling towards clubs ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZT6EIEet45Y&feature=youtu.be watch from 19 minutes in) Last year the idea of having marshals came about to manage the crowds and it was a success, it'll be back this year again. Cycling clubs are giving out about the leisure cyclists in their way, and leisure cyclists are giving out about the groups flying past them and shouting. If people just kept left and only moved out into the middle of the road to overtake I think this would solve a lot of problems in terms of traffic. The more experienced cyclists amongst us need to take a deep breath and just relax the vocal cords for a bit and enjoy the day, there's no need for shouting on a day like the ROK, by all means say things, but there's little justification in shouting unless it's an emergency. If you want to go fast, be responsible about it, look out for other people. The clubs (and when it was said to clubs it was meant for the groups of people who had miles under their belt) were told to go early because at that time of the day there would be little traffic on the roads -->a bit safer for everyone

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

If people just kept left and only moved out into the middle of the road to overtake I think this would solve a lot of problems in terms of traffic.

it's a valid statement, but there is such a high volume of casual cyclists at this ride specifically that any regular cyclists will spend a l of their day out in the middle of the road overtaking. it's sound advice in general, but i don;t see it solving a lot of the problems

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Vivienne23

It was my first time doing the RoK last year and I kept hogging the hedge to the left unless I was overtaking (which wasn't that often ) u get used to the calls for left and right and I found it useful at least you know what's going on around you , the more dangerous thing than fast riders was people coming to a food stop and stopping in the middle of the road in front of you , happened me twice , very close calls and I'm sure it wasn't the club cyclists doing it , still debating if I will do it this year , great event all the same worth every penny IMHO ,

I'm also doing the darkness into light walk that will last approx 1hour for 20 euro so if I got another 12 hour finish with support and food all the way it's value for money at that for me ,

I heard today, that they have something put in place for this year to speed the queuing so maybe stick with what you have.

You mentioned it to two members of the committee last year? They knew that there was a problem,

Why did they give an answer "it adds to the atmosphere" and not go into the building and help out? They were just walking around the car park chatting.
    As regards closing off the roads and the confusion, it is large route that is popular with tourists throughout the summer (as well as the local populations) so it wouldn't really be realistic to close off all the roads,

I just wonder what is the criteria to close a road here in this country,
    Argus tour in SA closes the road from Cape Town down around the Cape of Good Hope from 6pm the evening before, one of the most popoular tourists drives in the world plus have 4 million people living around it, South Kerry has less than 150,000. They can do it for rally's all be it on back roads, I am guessing it's may be a case of dipping into the kitty to pay extra Garda a bit of overtime. I am just wondering is it possible to keep it a rolling road closure for the whole day, but that the parts of the road that are closed are fully closed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

doniek79 wrote: »
    Lots have done it on mountain bikes, a work colleague did it on a bmx for a bet one year but he was sorry, question marks doing it on a mountain bike, I wouldn't

Too late :)
    Purchased MTB yesterday. Looking forward to crusing on ROK.
    Plenty other sportives for shpeeding.

I hear the trick with road cycling on a mountain bike is to put as much air into the tyres that they can handle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Put road tyres on it. You won't be cruising with MTB tyres, they'll be resisting you all the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Jovetic

Was there registration on the morning last year? Did anyone do this?

Or can I email one of the charities, send them 70 quid and will they send me out the band/licence plate

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Tourman

Jovetic wrote: »

Or can I email one of the charities, send them 70 quid and will they send me out the band/licence plate

As far as I am aware reg is just on Friday night.
    If you call one of the charities the will do their best to accommodate you if they can. They will organise your registration but not sure if they will have time to send it to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I registered with "Acquired Brain Injury".
    They have assured me, that they will post my number plate to me in good time.
    They have further assured me, that I will not have to register in person, on the Friday evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Last year I raised monies for Down Syndrome Ireland (Kerry) and went to Listowel to register days before the event. They held numerous 'open-days' assisting people who raised monies for them.
    Went along; handed over raised monies; received wrist-band, tag etc; in and out in minutes!

This year I'll be registering on the Friday night so will be a different story in terms of time waiting to receive said items.

You can contact a chosen charity and they will do their utmost to assist in terms of ensuring you receive your tag etc before the Friday night, or morning of Cycle :)
    kerry4sam

Yes and a whole bunch of my buddies registered on the Sat morning at about 7am before setting off.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭PandyAndy

xxyyzz wrote: »
    Put road tyres on it. You won't be cruising with MTB tyres, they'll be resisting you all the way.

Good man Outfox! Yea do what xxyzz mentioned, I have these tyres on my MTB, http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/schwalbe-city-jet-26-bike-tyre/rp-prod24629 got the 1.95" size.

Haven't had a puncture on them for the last year that they've been on, whereas the knobbly factory stock specialized tyres had punctures every month or so...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭tuch

Some great bargains to be had on accommodation that weekend
    - Here and Now B&B only 7km from town. €230 per room per night
    - Randles Court Hotel - Rooms for only €435 per night (breakfast extra)
    - Killarney Plaza Hotel - Basic standard room only €600 per night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭denismac

Word has it that this years registrations are filling up fast. A charity I contacted said that the organisers informed them that at the current take-up rate registration could close at the end of April.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Ernest Oreo

tuch wrote: »

I'm staying in the Europe
    230 for the night - use of the luxury spa will be appreciated on sunday morning..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ratracer

tuch wrote: »

I booked a triple room in the Killarney Court hotel for the weekend back in January. It's €164 b&b per night, which I didn't think was too bad. Stayed here last year too and it was grand.

As for increasing prices, that's just supply and demand and happens everywhere tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

ratracer wrote: »
    I booked a triple room in the Killarney Court hotel for the weekend back in January. It's €164 b&b per night, which I didn't think was too bad. Stayed here last year too and it was grand.

As for increasing prices, that's just supply and demand and happens everywhere tbh.

Agreed. I booked the Riverside back in January. I booked it through one of those hotel deal websites and got it for ~€80 per night (booked 2 nights).

• Advertisement

www.airbnb.ie is a pretty good way to find a place to stay in or around Killarney and 73 options come up for the Fri and Sat nights at moment as low as €25 a night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭lismore7

Booked my accomm back in November in Scotts hotel Kilarney.
    Got double room for 2 nights for 2 of us + breakfast €300
    Tried 5 other hotels, in Kilarney at that time and all were already full !!!

However...just today the hotel phoned me up asking for a non re-fundable deposit of €50 due to overwhelming demand !!! The lady who rang was far from pleasent...but I had no choice....bit cheeky I thought :mad:, considering this was not in their booking terms and conditions....
    Must be serious demand this year...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

PandyAndy wrote: »
    Good man Outfox! Yea do what xxyzz mentioned, I have these tyres on my MTB, http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/schwalbe-city-jet-26-bike-tyre/rp-prod24629 got the 1.95" size.

Haven't had a puncture on them for the last year that they've been on, whereas the knobbly factory stock specialized tyres had punctures every month or so...

Thanks for the advice guys. I plan to do a few road spins first to see how bad the big tyres are. Maybe up to 100 km. If it's torture, I'll change the tyres.
    This year I plan to do the ROK with some leisure cyclists who are unlikely to exceed 20 km/h. Surely this would be doable even on big MTB tyres?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

This year I plan to do the ROK with some leisure cyclists who are unlikely to exceed 20 km/h. Surely this would be doable even on big MTB tyres?

You can do it on square wheels if you want, you're just making it more difficult for yourself. MTB tyres cause rolling resistance and require extra effort. Even at 20km/h you will use more energy on mtb tyres than slicks. Nobody's saying it can't be done, just why make it more difficult on yourself. You're already dragging the extra weight a MTB frame brings 100 miles around Kerry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Ernest Oreo

closing way earlier than last year, apparently
    demand for places like never before, apparently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

Does anyone know if I can get a friend to register me Friday evening (when they're registering themselves) or do I need to be there in person?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭jimmy blevins

^^
    I don't see why not, all their doing is scanning the barcode on the email and handing over the number.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Kingdom Man

Nisio wrote: »
    Does anyone know if I can get a friend to register me Friday evening (when they're registering themselves) or do I need to be there in person?

Yes no problem last year anyway i could not make it and my friend was able to do it for me.

Did anyone ever use a campsite with a camper for this ? If so could you share your experiences ? I'm contemplating it but not sure if I could do without hotel facilities , and where would be the best site in killarney ,

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭darkvalley

Vivienne23 wrote: »
    Did anyone ever use a campsite with a camper for this ? If so could you share your experiences ? I'm contemplating it but not sure if I could do without hotel facilities , and where would be the best site in killarney ,

Thanks

I'm doing it this year and staying in the camper. I am staying at Flemings campsite, €30 for the night, and apparently 1km from the centre of town. Haven't stayed there before so don't know what it is like but don't see any problem with staying in camper.

• Advertisement

It's got to be the way to go with accomodation prices , I was looking at flesk and fossa leaning towards flesk though, thanks for that ill have a look into it , need to register first though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭ruffmut

One of the charities posted this on their facebook page last night.

"The build up for the Ring of Kerry Cycle is intensifying. We have been advised that, due to the amount of cyclists that have already registered, the organisers will not be able to guarantee acceptance of entries after the Easter Weekend so get your forms into us without delay."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭jonathan11

I registered/paid for this two days ago but didn't receive a confirmation email.
    Anyone else have problems? I've mailed the office as suggested on the FAQ.
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

jonathan11 wrote: »
    I registered/paid for this two days ago but didn't receive a confirmation email.
    Anyone else have problems? I've mailed the office as suggested on the FAQ.
    Thanks
    Signed up a couple of days ago and the email went straight into my trash/spam folder. I presume you checked there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭jonathan11

DeepBlue wrote: »
    Signed up a couple of days ago and the email went straight into my trash/spam folder. I presume you checked there?

Thanks DeepBlue, it did indeed go to my spam folder :)
    Phew, now for some training!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭theKillerBite

DeepBlue wrote: »

Ha I was getting worried, I checked my spam folder too and my receipt is there :) Really looking forward to it. 4th year now!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Looks like it's sold out in record time this year -

http://www.ringofkerrycycle.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Roddy23 wrote: »
    Looks like it's sold out in record time this year -

http://www.ringofkerrycycle.ie/

Balls! :mad: Kept forgetting to register over the last few days. The missus ain't going to be happy.

What's the story with getting an entry from somebody else? Can entries be swapped over, like in WW200?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

Balls too. I was just about to register today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

Same as me, was checking the forum for an update before going to register now....What are the options (if any) for people like us who missed out on the registration?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement