Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ring Of Kerry Charity Cycle 2014

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭tuch

siblers wrote: »
    No mention of it on their Facebook page. Last year there was constant updates about it getting close to capacity.

There are posts on official Facebook page from Red Cross and Killorgan Hospise on Apr 17th and Apr 18th advising that registration was nearly full and giving Easter Sat as cut off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

tuch wrote: »
    There are posts on official Facebook page from Red Cross and Killorgan Hospise on Apr 17th and Apr 18th advising that registration was nearly full and giving Easter Sat as cut off.

Which is fine if you want to register through them but not for people registering through the ROK site. I'M not blaming ROK FB page for me missing out on a place, just don't understand why they had no updates like they did last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭5p9arw38djv2b4

I know i did see advert in national paper last week that it was estimated that it could close off for entries by easter weekend. I did kinda think it might have been scaremongering but at same time, cycling has become so popular. theres people out on the roads the whole time.

It doesn't help people outside of Kerry. But they had articles in several keery newspapers about registrations nearly being full last week and had a few interviews on radio Kerry about it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭tuch

It doesn't help people outside of Kerry. But they had articles in several keery newspapers about registrations nearly being full last week and had a few interviews on radio Kerry about it too.

Noticed that last week. The organisers seemed to be making a big effort to raise awareness in Kerry that registration was nearly full.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 chiralspiral

Well next year I'll know to follow this thread, the Kerry Red Cross Facebook page, and listen to Kerry radio. :-)

Or maybe I just won't put it on the long finger.

For this year though, if anyone for any reason can't make it that weekend, I'd be more than delighted to use your registration.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Jessica86

Hey guys,

I have a bit of an issue, last year through a lot of problems I got my dad a ticket for the cycle, he flies over from Holland for it.
    So this year I thought, this will not happen to us again! So I registrerd on the website, I however did not get a confirmation email or a payment site.
    So I thought everyone must get that at the time now its full, idiot me obviously... I emailed them asking if they have my dad's registration, they told me they couldn't find it all.
    Tickets and bike are already booked from holland, and I don;t have a ticket to show for :(

did anyone have the same happening?
    Does someone maybe have an extra ticket? I am still emailed with them, but I haven't gotten a reply back for some time now, so I am a bit anxious. Also dont want to tell dad he booked for nothing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Jessica86 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I have a bit of an issue, last year through a lot of problems I got my dad a ticket for the cycle, he flies over from Holland for it.
    So this year I thought, this will not happen to us again! So I registrerd on the website, I however did not get a confirmation email or a payment site.
    So I thought everyone must get that at the time now its full, idiot me obviously... I emailed them asking if they have my dad's registration, they told me they couldn't find it all.
    Tickets and bike are already booked from holland, and I don;t have a ticket to show for :(

Does someone maybe have an extra ticket? I am still emailed with them, but I haven't gotten a reply back for some time now, so I am a bit anxious. Also dont want to tell dad he booked for nothing...

I would suggest calling all nine charities on phone, talk to them very nicely and tell them your story to see if they will make an exception.

I do not really believe all places are gone and bet there is a buffer of extras available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭maceocc2

Jessica86 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Sorry to hear that. As mentioned above, try the charities, I managed to get in on a cancellation list last year by the skin of my teeth.

My Bro registered but never got the email, payment was taken so he's just waiting to hear back from them. hopefully no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Jessica86

I just called the entire list, nobody has room left, most of them wouldnt even put us on the waiting list, and 1 was so rude they said no and hung up :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭theKillerBite

maceocc2 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that. As mentioned above, try the charities, I managed to get in on a cancellation list last year by the skin of my teeth.

My Bro registered but never got the email, payment was taken so he's just waiting to hear back from them. hopefully no issues.

Its in his spam folder

• Registered Users Posts: 6 riorio

Got the ass before the cart on this one. Was so difficult to get accommodation last year I booked hotel for this years event and the charity rang yesterday to say my application arrived too late !! So if anyone has a spare registration would really appreciate it. PM me please.

T.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

With the demand this year touts are going make a killing next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

krissovo wrote: »
    With the demand this year touts are going make a killing next year.

With the demand this year, I'm sure the charities involved will be looking to increase the capacity for next year. Maybe run it on two days next year, and let people reserve whichever day they'd prefer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

bogmanfan wrote: »
    With the demand this year, I'm sure the charities involved will be looking to increase the capacity for next year. Maybe run it on two days next year, and let people reserve whichever day they'd prefer?

It's amazing when something takes of like this.

First did it in 06 when I just wondered down to start and threw money into a tin.

Numbers grew every year and I called a halt in 2012. Way too much effort now.

I can see the attraction but to my mind the Ring misses the best cycling in the Iveragh peninsula not to mind Kerry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭Sikpupi

Way too much effort now.

I can see the attraction but to my mind the Ring misses the best cycling in the Iveragh peninsula not to mind Kerry.

For those who missed out - get your name down on the Rebel Tour in Sept in Glengarriff. In my opinion - scenery every much as good as ROK and with the smaller numbers a much more enjoyable day. I can see the Rebel surpassing ROK in say 6-7 years. YOU READ IT HERE FIRST !!

But BEWARE... some serious climbs - so not for the casual cyclist who cycles around the local park on a sunny day with the children!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

doubt it. far more likely there will be a sizeable price increase next year. and i doubt there will be any backing down next year.
    ford2600 wrote: »

can see your point. there is a 147km route starting in kenmare, caha pass, glengariff, castletown, healy pass N to S, glengariff, caha pass again and back to kenmare, was a stage of ras na mumhan last year that is a much nicer spin than the ROK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

mossym wrote: »
    doubt it. far more likely there will be a sizeable price increase next year. and i doubt there will be any backing down next year.

can see your point. there is a 147km route starting in kenmare, caha pass, glengariff, castletown, healy pass N to S, glengariff, caha pass again and back to kenmare, was a stage of ras na mumhan last year that is a much nicer spin than the ROK

Did it. Great spin.

Also Borlin Valley, Priests Leap close to Kenmare.

Glencar, Ballaghbeama, Dunloe, Waterville, Valentia has great roads.

Rebel Tour is a few steps up in beauty and difficulty from Ring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I can't see it being permitted over two days especially given the logistics and volunteering involved and the possibility of the Munster SFC being in Fitzgerald Stadium on the first Sunday in July.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Sikpupi wrote: »
    For those who missed out - get your name down on the Rebel Tour in Sept in Glengarriff. In my opinion - scenery every much as good as ROK and with the smaller numbers a much more enjoyable day. I can see the Rebel surpassing ROK in say 6-7 years. YOU READ IT HERE FIRST !!

But BEWARE... some serious climbs - so not for the casual cyclist who cycles around the local park on a sunny day with the children!!

Agree with you on this..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭Sikpupi

I can't see it being permitted over two days especially given the logistics and volunteering involved

I agree.... the only logical solution going forward (if there is that much demand) - just raise the Entry Fee. That would probably first of all bring in more money and secondly eliminate 10-20% of the entries.

Its down to economics of Supply & Demand. And the economists would say - let the market forces decide the optimum entry level and the ultimate final numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Nmccd

bazzer86 wrote: »
    I do a bit of mountain biking and would imagine that it would be torture... Could you not just cruse along on the road bike and use the flat bar as opposed to the drop handles? Now I imagine it would be very do able but probably more enjoyable on a road bike?

My first Rok in 2009 I did it on a mountain bike, I did it and thoroughly enjoyed it...but I didn't know any different. The folllowing your invested in a road bike with flat handle bars...nothing fancy but so much easier on the body. As the Guy in the bike shop said when he saw my mountain bike and compared it to the road bike....that think is like a tractor!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭theKillerBite

I agree.... the only logical solution going forward (if there is that much demand) - just raise the Entry Fee. That would probably first of all bring in more money and secondly eliminate 10-20% of the entries.

Its down to economics of Supply & Demand. And the economists would say - let the market forces decide the optimum entry level and the ultimate final numbers.

I'd love if the ROK & cycle against suicide merged into a Irish RAGBRAI event

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

I have registered for the ROK this year but to be honest I can't see myself doing it in future years. It is costing me over €250 between the entry fee (it is an entry fee even if the organisers have renamed it as some sort of charitable donation) and hotel. I could do 4 or 5 other extra sportives for that money and at least some local charities would benefit and not just Kerry ones. So this year I'll do the ROK for the experience and the challenge but next year I think the Rebel Tour and some of the An Post and Skoda events will be on the list ahead of the ROK. The idea of upping the entry fee from €60 to €70 after they made over €1.5million last year just feels like they are being greedy and want to break through the €2million mark regardless of the impact that will have on other sportives and charities outside Kerry.

Bah, my buddy never registered in spite of my updating him that it might close early. If anyone has a spare registration that they don't need I'd gladly take it off their hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭bazzer86

ford2600 wrote: »
    Did it. Great spin.

Also Borlin Valley, Priests Leap close to Kenmare.

Glencar, Ballaghbeama, Dunloe, Waterville, Valentia has great roads.

Rebel Tour is a few steps up in beauty and difficulty from Ring.

Have to agree with you. Valentia has great cycling roads... Did the Skellig Ring over the weekend, great loop... As scenic as you would hope for... The climb over Coomanaspic, what an absolute thunderb*stard of a climb.. but the switchbacks coming into the Glen are great fun... Reckon if I can do that climb, Il be able to do any of the climbs on the Ring, well hopefully anyway..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

BTW will the ring still be open if people want to just join in for parts of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Dgormley

Looking to do cycle but haven't registered! If anyone has registered and can't do the cycle please let me know! Will pay for ticket. Thanks a million

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

Bit late to do this one!!!

Dgormley wrote: »
    Looking to do cycle but haven't registered! If anyone has registered and can't do the cycle please let me know! Will pay for ticket. Thanks a million
    Welcome to 2014! ;)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057113011

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

For anyone that is looking to register (and got caught out with the registrations closing!) - last year their facebook page had loads of people selling their spots. So go on there and you might get one closer to the date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

Dgormley wrote: »

You'll get entry on their facebook page, a good few sold their entries there last year closer to the date

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

After a number of protests over its original closure
    (that number being one)
    , we've decided to re-open this thread, but only on condition that we will keep the identity of the mod that closed it in the first place secret ....

I have CC'd this message to my fellow mods;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭yessam

I am now cycling around the 100km at least once a week with two other short cycles the last few weeks.

I am taking in some hills also on my cycles.

Am I on course or do I need to increase my training to do the Ring of Kerry comfortably.

I want to enjoy the cycle and the views without struggling my way around the Ring.

yessam wrote: »
    I am now cycling around the 100km at least once a week with two other short cycles the last few weeks.

I am taking in some hills also on my cycles.

Am I on course or do I need to increase my training to do the Ring of Kerry comfortably.

I want to enjoy the cycle and the views without struggling my way around the Ring.

You'll be flying on the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Jovetic

Did 40km this evening but it was a struggle. Nothing in the legs at the end :(

Only two months away but it ain't looking too good

Jovetic wrote: »

That's ages away. There's good weather due, it's be easier at the weekend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

Don't worry about it yet. I've really only started back cycling in the last month to 6 weeks. I did 30K one evening last week and was shattered after it. Did 60K on Sunday and was fine. It all depends on how your day has been and how you have eaten etc. Am aiming to do a spin of 90-100K (at my own pace) this Sunday so that will be a big test of how I'm progressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Listrydude

I did my first ROK last year and hadn't even signed up never mind started training, this time last year! You will be fine! Keep going and fget the bike out. As mentioned, the weather will improve! Gwan!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

How rough are the climbs on it? I can do 60-70km just fine on the flat (being spoiled by kildare) but nearly died getting up howth hill once a while ago. Can only barely do the spin up to blessington from naas, wondering if I'll be walk-of-shaming my way through half of this now :-/

• Advertisement

The climbs are fine really, more long than steep. Just two climbs really, Coomakista and Molls Gap. They are both manageable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

The hardest part of the ROK is sitting in the saddle for such a long time. It is not that difficult a cycle, it is just a lot longer than most of us are used to. Good padding in all the right places on the day will definitely help!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭Smith614

The sneem to Kenmare road is one boring dead road. Always find it the worst part of the ROK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭numorouno

Smith614 wrote: »
    The sneem to Kenmare road is one boring dead road. Always find it the worst part of the ROK

I think derrynane to Sneem is the hardest. dead Road with a horrible climb to where you descend to sneem. No one seems to mention it but the hardest part of the ring for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ratracer

numorouno wrote: »
    I think derrynane to Sneem is the hardest. dead Road with a horrible climb to where you descend to sneem. No one seems to mention it but the hardest part of the ring for me

I would fully agree with you on this. I punctured on this section last year and the stopping, changing tube, getting going again was such a pain. Really hope to not get stuck here this year!! On the plus side though, apart from having to walk over the bridge in sneem the stop there was great.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Smith614 wrote: »

done this road a few times, and not sure why people think this.i think it's a fine stretch of road. in fact the climb from the bridge is a good place to open up, and the stretch into kenmare is a nice straight flat which is one of the few places you can stretch the legs a little

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

mossym wrote: »
    done this road a few times, and not sure why people think this.i think it's a fine stretch of road. in fact the climb from the bridge is a good place to open up, and the stretch into kenmare is a nice straight flat which is one of the few places you can stretch the legs a little

For me it's the coast Road from glenbeigh to cahersiveen, the views are spectacular but you're hit by the breeze off the ocean making it a real
    slog. The day really kicks in from Waterville, thats when the fun begins.

numorouno wrote: »
    ... a horrible climb to where you descend to sneem.
    :confused: Sounds a bit contradictory!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

:confused: Sounds a bit contradictory!

No. Read it again.

Buzwaldo wrote: »
    No. Read it again.
    Doh! Missed the word 'to'. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Jovetic

Haven't been able to leave the house all weekend with this stupid rain :mad:

I'm way behind on my training :(

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement