Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ring Of Kerry Charity Cycle 2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Jovetic wrote: »
    Haven't been able to leave the house all weekend with this stupid rain :mad:

I'm way behind on my training :(

There's more than a good chance it'll be raining on the day.

Get out there. It builds character. :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Jovetic wrote: »
    Haven't been able to leave the house all weekend with this stupid rain :mad:

I'm way behind on my training :(

Best thing to do there is a pick a day when its completely chucking it down ( and freezing, ideally ) then spend all day cycling in it.

You'll never be bothered by rain again ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

ror_74 wrote: »
    Best thing to do there is a pick a day when its completely chucking it down ( and freezing, ideally ) then spend all day cycling in it.

You'll never be bothered by rain again ;)
    Borrowed from a previous thread.
    My favourite is Sean Kelly's reply when asked whether heavy rain put him off going out training on his bike.

He said "When it was raining I'd still go out training and then decide whether it was too wet when I got back."

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Jovetic

I'm a fair weather cyclist only :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭shaydy

numorouno wrote: »
    I think derrynane to Sneem is the hardest. dead Road with a horrible climb to where you descend to sneem. No one seems to mention it but the hardest part of the ring for me

Yeah I thought the same, definitely the least enjoyable part of the cycle for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭yessam

Have the sponsorship cards been sent out yet.

I got email saying it would be sent out by end of April, but no sign of yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 82 ✭✭New2bike

Hi yessam I got mine months ago doing it for pieta house

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

yessam wrote: »
    I got email saying it would be sent out by end of April, but no sign of yet.
    No sign of them here yet either.
    I guess if you signed up to a specific charity you'll probably get them directly but may have to wait a bit to get them from the ROK office. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭dockc

Anyone have a hotel/self catering accommodation reservation for the ROK weekend in Killarney that they no longer need?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

statement on ROK site about reallocating returned registrations.

http://www.ringofkerrycycle.ie/
    The committee appreciate the fact that there are a lot of disappointed people who failed to secure a place in this year’s event and are at the moment exploring all avenues in an attempt to make further registrations available. If any registrations are returned these will be reallocated in a fair manner.

The committee will announce how this will be facilitated over the coming weeks on its website and Facebook page. However, the committee will not be able to accommodate everyone.

• Advertisement

Got my sponsorship card in post today. I now need to get a few victims to sponsor me. Sometimes I feel it costs me more on returning sponsorship than I actually collect myself.

I presume everyone else got there cards today also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭lismore7

My sponsorship card just arrived today and it's also the registration card.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭kod12

Is there any way to link into the ring of kerry and get sponsorship online also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ratracer

kod12 wrote: »
    Is there any way to link into the ring of kerry and get sponsorship online also?

You could set up a page on mycharity.ie or justgiving or one of those and put a link to the ROK website on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 stonemanic

Have got my sponsorship card, Really looking forward to this. Have never done it before but have done lots of 70km cycles and a couple of 100kms. Hoping it goes ok on the day. Just wondering do cleats make a real difference? Just have the straps at the moment which are fine but wondering if I should upgrade to cleats.

stonemanic wrote: »
    Have got my sponsorship card, Really looking forward to this. Have never done it before but have done lots of 70km cycles and a couple of 100kms. Hoping it goes ok on the day. Just wondering do cleats make a real difference? Just have the straps at the moment which are fine but wondering if I should upgrade to cleats.

I recently got cleats and I like the comfort and stability of them. I don't know if it improves the performance much.
    They also take a bit of getting used to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

It's definitely a good move to switch to clipless pedals but they take a bit of getting used to, there's good clips on you tube to help you out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28IdOvbk7Us

Practice unclipping from the pedals a good few times. Falling is sore (and embarrassing!)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Jessica86

I got my dad a registration, The red Cross was kind enough to contact me after one of their cyclists had an injury.

Is it allowed to post a link of the fund page for my dad? Were trying ( From Holland and in Ireland) to raise money for the Irish Red Cross

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭Sikpupi

Is it allowed to post a link of the fund page for my dad? Were trying ( From Holland and in Ireland) to raise money for the Irish Red Cross

...can't see the point to be honest!! I would presume that everyone following this thread (well 99% at least) are also collecting for our own chosen charities.

€70 to enter event and now another €30 if you want the event shirt !!! (which they are encouraging us to buy)
    Then there is the accommodation for 2 nights + food + refreshments + fuel.
    Must admit, the cost is mounting up for this charity cycle event :(

Still looking forward to it though, as it's my first ROK, but might need to sell off my collection of World War 2 medals to help pay for it.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Masala

The Jersey is an optional expense.... haven't bought one yet over the past 3-5 events!. Just personal choice - I like to wear the Club colours on that day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

lismore7 wrote: »
    €70 to enter event and now another €30 if you want the event shirt !!! (which they are encouraging us to buy)
    Then there is the accommodation for 2 nights + food + refreshments + fuel.
    Must admit, the cost is mounting up for this charity cycle event :(

Still looking forward to it though, as it's my first ROK, but might need to sell off my collection of World War 2 medals to help pay for it.....

I won't be buying the jersey this year (don't particularly like the design either). 2013 was my year personally for the Ring of Kerry for a few reasons so couldn't wait to buy the jersey last-year.

This year will be cycled, but just won't be the same. Last year was my 1st year. Hope you Just love your 1st ROK Cycle, everything else aside :)

Probably wear some of my boardsie cycling gear, or else my 2013 ROK jersey on Ring of Kerry 2014!

Hope preparations going well for everyone,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭flying11

Looks like they are going to hold a lottery for people who missed out on registration.
    Details here http://www.ringofkerrycycle.ie/

kerry4sam wrote: »
    I won't be buying the jersey this year (don't particularly like the design either). 2013 was my year personally for the Ring of Kerry for a few reasons so couldn't wait to buy the jersey last-year.

This year will be cycled, but just won't be the same. Last year was my 1st year. Hope you Just love your 1st ROK Cycle, everything else aside :)

Probably wear some of my boardsie cycling gear, or else my 2013 ROK jersey on Ring of Kerry 2014!

Hope preparations going well for everyone,
    kerry4sam

Had my mind made up not to buy the 2014 shirt....then I read your post :confused:
    As it's my 1st ROK, would be kinda nice to have a momento of the event.
    However I do share your view on the design, it's a little "rainbowish" for my taste.

I read on the ROK web site that training up to 100k will get you through as a one off cycle.
    I have been doing just that and just did the 160k TDC 2 weeks ago. I found that a huge step up from 100k to 160k.
    So wondering if I should be training on distances over 100k?
    As you are a ROK vet, what's your opinion on the ROK training schedual?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 151 ✭✭Anonymo

Had my mind made up not to buy the 2014 shirt....then I read your post :confused:
    However I do share your view on the design, it's a little "rainbowish" for my taste.

I read on the ROK web site that training up to 100k will get you through as a one off cycle.
    I have been doing just that and just did the 160k TDC 2 weeks ago. I found that a huge step up from 100k to 160k.

Yeah but there are 3 stops along the way - Cahersiveen, Sneem, Kenmare - so being able to do 100k is more than enough (longest stint between those stops is only about 65k). So take in the stops - about 20 minutes at each - and you'll be dragged along by the crowd. It's tougher doing the cycle on your own than it is with 9000 people doing it with you! I'd say get in 2 or 3 cycles of around the 100k between now and the RoK and you'll be going well on the day. This will be my fourth one this year and it's a great day out every year. As for the climbs... there are only two long drags at Coomakista near Waterville, and the Molls Gap near Kenmare. It all depends on the prevailing wind which is tougher but neither are too bad. Don't be a hero on them - just find your pace and stroll along at that. Best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

Usually the rule of thumb is train to two thirds of the event distance, so in this case train for 110-120km.

Usually the rule of thumb is train to two thirds of the event distance, so in this case train for 110-120km.

When I did my 1st ROK my longest cycle ever was 40km, I was not very fit and and I did it on a hybrid bike. It lashed rain for much of the day too and while I was sore at the end and quite tired I got around just fine. The ROK road surface is generally quite smooth so you roll along really easily and it is true what they say about being sucked along by the crowd.

My advice for first timers is to start as early as you can, take your time, stop at all the official stops as well as at the top of the two climbs and an ice cream in Sneem and you will be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

BailMeOut wrote: »
    When I did my 1st ROK my longest cycle ever was 40km, I was not very fit and and I did it on a hybrid bike. It lashed rain for much of the day too and while I was sore at the end and quite tired I got around just fine. The ROK road surface is generally quite smooth so you roll along really easily and it is true what they say about being sucked along by the crowd.

My advice for first timers is to start as early as you can, take your time, stop at all the official stops as well as at the top of the two climbs and an ice cream in Sneem and you will be grand.

The bold part is quite important. You train to about two thirds the event distance if you want to do the event without suffering at all or being completely knackered at the end of it. The problem with not doing the distance is generally a massive pain in the arse (literally) by the time you're most of the way around :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

What's the "official" distance of the ROK cycle? I see references from 170-180km.

(Hoping to get people to sponsor €x per km...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭dogsears

J o e wrote: »
    What's the "official" distance of the ROK cycle? I see references from 170-180km.

(Hoping to get people to sponsor €x per km...)

Came out at 172km each of the last 3 years on my Garmin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ratracer

I think it's less than 170km, my cycle computer died at the top of Molls' Gap last year so I don't have the full distance recorded. It is definitley not 180km.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭trek climber

172k as per Garmin last year ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

07Lapierre wrote: »

You bypassed the Kenmare food stop which adds a few kms!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

172 km measured here too, not Garmin.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

168km, including a km or so of overlap. Garmin.
    http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/338697788

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭bazzer86

What are people's thoughts on starting & finishing in other places than Killarney? Will be staying in killorglin, so it's being discussed as a possibility. Do many people do that? Biggest drawback seems to be having to keep cycling after coming into Killarney where every one else finishes...

bazzer86 wrote: »
    What are people's thoughts on starting & finishing in other places than Killarney? Will be staying in killorglin, so it's being discussed as a possibility. Do many people do that? Biggest drawback seems to be having to keep cycling after coming into Killarney where every one else finishes...

I'd still drive to Killarney that morning and start from there. I know someone who started/ended in Killorglin last year and he said the last leg was just miserable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭numorouno

BailMeOut wrote: »
    I'd still drive to Killarney that morning and start from there. I know someone who started/ended in Killorglin last year and he said the last leg was just miserable.

I live on the ring and it would be handier but I always go killarney to killarney.any other way wouldn't be the ring to me plus it'd be very hard to cycle on from killarney afterwards. ........ With a few pints on board

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Tourman

I generally stay in Kilorglin but always drive to Killarney to start. I have spoke to people who have started in Kilorglin and they tell me its a drag to have to cycle the ladt 15 to 20 km after the finish.

Tourman wrote: »
    I generally stay in Kilorglin but always drive to Killarney to start. I have spoke to people who have started in Kilorglin and they tell me its a drag to have to cycle the ladt 15 to 20 km after the finish.

Yeah I thought as much. It would be a drag to be fair... Planning on starting it at 6 am so it will just mean a very early start...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 82 ✭✭New2bike

07Lapierre wrote: »

5hrs 45 mins fair play dude!!! I'm hoping for 7hrs excluding stops!

Yeah I'd say it would be an awful slog to keep going for another 20k... Tell me this though, would you recommend heading into Killarney for the night out? We're giving serious though to staying local in killorglin... Kind of expecting a bit of an overflow of crowds staying there

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Tourman

Yeah I'd say it would be an awful slog to keep going for another 20k... Tell me this though, would you recommend heading into Killarney for the night out? We're giving serious though to staying local in killorglin... Kind of expecting a bit of an overflow of crowds staying there

The craic is in Killarney. I on the other hand and have a few pints in the authentic pubs in Kilorglin after a bite to eat in the tapas bar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

The craic is in Killarney. I on the other hand and have a few pints in the authentic pubs in Kilorglin after a bite to eat in the tapas bar.

Tapas bar? Now that sounds authentic Kerry alright.

Might do the same, might be a trek in and out to Killarney after all that cycling
    Buzwaldo wrote: »
    Tapas bar? Now that sounds authentic Kerry alright.

Ah 'twas an old church, it's the more modernised metro kerry of new :D

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Jovetic

Hows the training coming along? Did 65km yesterday and was a bit stiff and sore. Gonna get out midweek and a longer spin at the weekend. I feel like I'm well off where I should be with a few weeks to go. The only plus I have is I take on a lot of hills so won't be found wanting on Molls Gap :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

ha ha thats what I thought last year too - Molls Gap after 120+ km was a different matter :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I hit 70k at the weekend and finished on a hill, planning a 100k for the weekend coming, Marbella to Gibraltar and halfway back to estepona with a monster hill near Gibraltar to test the legs.

The 70k was the first time I needed to reach for a gel, legs were almost gone at 60k until I sucked back a gel and then found I wanted to find my local hill at the end to burn off my sugar rush.

I am more confident now, just need to work on the calories intake plan. I guess at north of 100kg in weight I will be one of the heaviest riders.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement