Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External USB Hard Drive problem

Options
  • 29-12-2013 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭

I have a ADATA usb External Hardrive,today i plugged it in to usb port,.the computer sees the drive i can click on it and see all my photos and videos but when i click on a particular photo or video i just get the round circle. nothing will open, at the moment I'm running scandisk to see if this will help,but stuck 3897 file for ages,i think its still going.
    any one had a problem like this?
    Must add, friend of mind loaded all of Breaking Bad on hard drive for me to watch. watched 2 fine when end of second it froze, i cannot not delete anything also,tried to delete breaking bad to see if this is the problem.

ADATA 600gb Harddrive
    laptop windows vista

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

scan your drive with this (works on any manufacturer):

http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/item/seatools-win-master/

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭janeparker

This problem is happened due to bad sector in hard drive.So, it is better to repair those sectors with right approach. At this stage, you should contact with manufacturer of USB hard drive.

Regards:
    Jane

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

janeparker wrote: »
    At this stage, you should contact with manufacturer of USB hard drive.

Regards:
    Jane

Pointless if it's out of warranty I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Its well out of warranty, tried the seatools as recommended by johndoe99
    done the short drive self test passed
    then tried short generic, was on all night didn't seem to get going nothing on progress bar,so stopped it.
    when you click to open video/photo you get round circle and then windows not reponding you cant shut down drive,you have to turn laptop off to disconnect.

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Its well out of warranty, tried the seatools as recommended by johndoe99
    done the short drive self test passed
    then tried short generic, was on all night didn't seem to get going nothing on progress bar,so stopped it.
    when you click to open video/photo you get round circle and then windows not reponding you cant shut down drive,you have to turn laptop off to disconnect.

when you ran "scandisk", did you select 'Automatically fix file system errors' and 'Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors'?

• Advertisement

i ran scandisk on 'Automatically fix file system errors' it seems to stop everytime
    on file 3897 wont go pass this?

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    i ran scandisk on 'Automatically fix file system errors' it seems to stop everytime
    on file 3897 wont go pass this?

those sectors are corrupted, download this to try to recover your data:

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

usually data that is corrupted is gone.

For your photos, you can try:

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec

Both of these are free.

Just ran 'Automatically fix file system errors' and it ran the course and said it fix errors, tried to open files again still same problem" local disc F not responding".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Download Hirem's Boot CD and recover everything off the drive. Then scan it for bad sectors.

Advertisement