Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revitalising Randomselect.ie

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    Would be very happy to be the Dublin contact, but if anyone else wants the position and is better suited that's cool too!

Incredible posts FutureGuy. I miss the Limerick scene ;_;

So do I :D

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭MelficeVKM

I'm happy to be the Belfast contact (since a lot of our scene is inactive), but if someone else feels more appropriate for the spot that's grand too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Bento Sento

That was excellent FutureGuy I couldn't have worded it better myself.

I am going to start work on the look of the website tonight and get that done and dusted. Then after that I will start work on the welcome/contacts page. When I have started work on that I will PM those who volunteered to be the contact for each area and you can give me your details or whatever it is you would like me to put down under your name.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

All excellent!! One suggestion is that whomever is the point of contact for each area, it should be someone who is consistently at casuals and tourneys. And maybe more than one for Dublin. I don't mind putting my name down but I am rarely at casuals. Onion has my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Linoud

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    Would be very happy to be the Dublin contact, but if anyone else wants the position and is better suited that's cool too!

Incredible posts FutureGuy. I miss the Limerick scene ;_;
    You've got my vote, you play most of the games in the scene and are usually around more often than not. :p

Seems like a really solid idea anyway, sounds good to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

MelficeVKM wrote: »
    I'm happy to be the Belfast contact (since a lot of our scene is inactive), but if someone else feels more appropriate for the spot that's grand too :)

The way things are ATM it's pretty much you or me, but you volunteered. :p

You know when one of my lecturers said that Wordpress is a piece of **** I thought that he was exaggerating but now I know what he is on about. Having the site looking all fancy and new is going to have to wait for a while until I can actually get something good working with that wordpress crap. For the mean time I just changed the background colour to look easier on the eyes.

I am going to start work on the new pages of the site tomorrow, bear with me. :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

AFAIK it's not just wordpress, Speedhaak did a lot of work customising the site...

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭OdgeXD

Wordpress is a piece of **** if you don't know how it works. Can do some pretty nice stuff when you actually learn it.

I don't know how it works

It wouldn't even let me upload an image to the site or use an existing image so I can have a banner. Kept giving me errors. :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

FWIW, I made this from scratch, so if you need a hand on the html/css side of things or need banners/images made/resized etc. etc. hit me up.

PS: work in progress, tons of missing content, including that IFGC link!

Well I am doing HTML 5 and CSS in college and I have no trouble doing that. For my Christmas project I even did my own version of RS.ie so things like that are no issue but wordpress is just not how I have learned to make websites. The only bit of code that there is on it is way too messy too understand.

But my main isssue is the fact that it would not let me upload any images to the site. I had been making the site look nicer with different themes but it would not let me upload any pictures for headers & backgrounds etc so I could actually make it look like a FG site. That is why I had to revert to the old theme because it already had some of the images on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

That should be fixed now, try it again :)

PPC wrote: »
    That should be fixed now, try it again :)

No it still doesn't seem to work, it will allow me to upload a image into the gallery but if I try to use that image or upload an image anywhere else it just appears as a blank image with the small icon in the middle. :(

Just had a look there at the 2 drafts and they both had "width="1" height="1" " in the img code, removing that fixed it.
    Hit me up on IRC if you have any questions.

Just had a look there at the 2 drafts and they both had "width="1" height="1" " in the img code, removing that fixed it.
    Hit me up on IRC if you have any questions.

That slipped under my nose :confused:

Images still won't load as headers though. :(

Were the headers a different size to what was needed by any chance? Looks like I forgot to install the image manipulation software for the server after I changed host and was causing images not to save.
    Its installed now and you should be able to upload again.

Were the headers a different size to what was needed by any chance? Looks like I forgot to install the image manipulation software for the server after I changed host and was causing images not to save.
    Its installed now and you should be able to upload again.

Thank you very much :)

That seems to be everything that was wrong fixed, hopefully I can have it looking nice now. As usual bear with me lads, I'm am trying :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Two things :

Been planning on doing a tutorial series for how to get better at fighting games (will be done for street fighter, but could apply to other games too), starting at the bottom with the most rudimentary and basic stuff, and working up to intermediate and advanced, as well as other tidbits on how to improve, from my own personal experience. I'm no expert by any means but think it could help new players, or current players who want to improve. No idea if this is worthwhile since there are already tonnes and tonnes of similar content on YouTube etc. What do you guys think? I'll do it if people think it's a good idea but I'm pretty 50/50 right now. Would be done in the style of live commentary over gameplay in real time with explanations and other editing etc. Just a thought!

Also, if someone is good with graphics or photoshop, could they PM me? A nice stream/video overlay for live streams and videos would look great, randomselect themed would be even better. Excluding DooM (as he is a given as the main uploader/tournament streamer :)) myself and a few others (nutrient, ladno, desosaurusx) stream and upload to YouTube, a randomselect overlay or something similar would be really nice, in my own opinion. If people think this is a bad idea then please do let me know, but if someone is interested shoot me a PM :)

Just my two cents to help improve the site or get stuff out there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

Ramza wrote: »
    Two things :

Been planning on doing a tutorial series for how to get better at street fighter, starting at the bottom with the most rudimentary and basic stuff, and working up to intermediate and advanced, as well as other tidbits on how to improve, from my own personal experience. I'm no expert by any means but think it could help new players, or current players who want to improve. No idea if this is worthwhile since there are already tonnes and tonnes of similar content on YouTube etc. What do you guys think? I'll do it if people think it's a good idea but I'm pretty 50/50 right now. Would be done in the style of live commentary over gameplay in real time with explanations and other editing etc. Just a thought!

Also, if someone is good with graphics or photoshop, could they PM me? A nice stream/video overlay for live streams and videos would look great, randomselect themed would be even better. Excluding DooM (as he is a given as the main uploader/tournament streamer :)) myself and a few others (nutrient, ladno, desosaurusx) stream and upload to YouTube, a randomselect overlay or something similar would be really nice, in my own opinion. If people think this is a bad idea then please do let me know, but if someone is interested shoot me a PM :)

Just my two cents to help improve the site or get stuff out there

+1..... This is most definitely needed. We need to level up as a scene to be taking anyway seriously AND am I the only one who is fed up with Ladno winning everything?

I'll ask one he lads workin for me to see if they would do an overlay but really I can see him saying sure, what you want....... So tell me what you want on it and I'll get it done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Here's what I use right now, it's pretty ghetto and any feedback is appreciated haha. just a little stream highlight

http://www.twitch.tv/rs_ramza/c/3504253

For those who can't watch, direct picture here

http://i.imgur.com/1Qvb3OR.png

Again, blank space is for facecam

Before getting into making a new one I thought I'd show the one I use currently, in case people think there's no need for a new one. The box in bottom right is for facecam, just didn't have it on this game. Feedback appreciated :)

Advertisement