Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Homebrew

Options
  • 29-12-2013 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭

Started my first batch there on Friday afternoon, think it went well. I got two kits over Xmas, BrewBuddy Lager (1.8 can) and a Milestone IPA (3kg kit) I was expecting.

I've done the Lager kit up anyway, used 1KG of Light DME which I got along with the equipment (along with a few other random ingredients). I re-hydrated the yeast in advance (it wasn't necessary but to be sure the yeast packet that came with the kit was ok, I figured no harm)

OG for 23 litres was 1.046. Started fermenting away at 24°c and it stayed like that up until about yesterday, the room temp was about 20°c so am I right to presume the higher temp was due to the initial days fermentation?

It's dropped to about 16 - 18°c today but it's still bubbling away albeit slower that the last couple of days. the kit said to keep it around the 18-21 mark so I'm hoping the lower temps are ok and it wasn't to warm at the beginning.

I was going to do 3kg IPA kit first but I figured if I messed up anything on the first brew I wouldn't feel too bad having dump the lager down the drain as opposed to the IPA, also I got 2 FVs in the equipment kit so I'm going to rack the lager into the secondary FV to help clear it up and then just do the IPA in the original FV after it's cleaned etc. I know it's not necessary or advised to use the 2nd FV on my first batch, but I can at least get the IPA under-way this way (i wont bother conditioning the IPA in the second FV, just straight to bottles) .

The only issue is with the equipment kit I got, I got two FVs, but only one of the lids has the hole for the bung and airlock. Also I only got one airlock. I'll order another one I once I get a chance. But

I was wondering though, If I racked the lager in the secondary FV, do I really need an airlock? Seen as the second FV just came with a standard lid with no facility for an airlock, is it of any use? Like will most of the fermentation have completed by then or? Is there any alternative to airlocks once the fermentation calms down? (sorry for the barrage of questions)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭mayto

Ye just transfer lager to the second sanitised fermenter and you can leave lid open slightly at one place.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Hingo

mayto wrote: »
    Ye just transfer lager to the second sanitised fermenter and you can leave lid open slightly at one place.

Thanks for that, worked grand! Have the second batch bubbling away now with the first one conditioning in the secondary FV. Done the second batch up yesterday and it went more smoothly than the first one in so far as the temperature wasn't too high and seems to be more consistent. Have a few pics up on instagram from brewing the two batches. Took a cheeky taste of the first batch from the hydrometer tube, seemed ok but not really used to tasting beer that's warm & flat so not sure what to be expecting. Will just have to wait until it's bottled and finished to see if the first batch is any use. the reading was 1.013-1.014 so around 4.3% abv if I've worked it out correctly.

The Second batch's OG is at 1.045ish - that's the Milestone IPA which said the OG would be 1.040. Didn't add anything and made it up to 23L but am sure it's grand. Back in work today so I'm just going to leave the two until next weekend and bottle them up.

Advertisement