Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ladders and Trees (Ouch!)

• 29-12-2013 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Would any of you professional lads use ladders much in your tree work? I certainly wouldn't consider bringing a chainsaw up a ladder after watching this YouTube clip!

Am I right in thinking that chainsaw training courses would not recommend the use of ladders when cutting down trees?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

Never use a ladder with a chainsaw. It is asking for trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,487 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

wont let ya see the video

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

yes use a ladder to get started on tall trees, usually with a single stem and no low branches, but if spiking wont need a ladder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Neighbour was up a tree on a ladder, trimming branches and one twisted as it fell and knocked him and the saw off.
    He ended up landing on another branch and shattering his foot and had to crawl back to the house about 1 mile away on a dirt track with a busted foot.
    Lesson for the day was carry a phone and don't go up ladders with a chainsaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭pachanco

Reggie. wrote: »
    wont let ya see the video

If you press play on the video, then the message

Embedding disabled by request
    Watch on YouTube

comes up on the screen, if you then click the mouse over the underlined "watch on youtube", you should be redirected to YouTube and be able to see the clip. I don't know why it is happening. I think everyone who owns a chainsaw, would be well advised to watch it.

• Advertisement

Oldtree wrote: »
    yes use a ladder to get started on tall trees, usually with a single stem and no low branches, but if spiking wont need a ladder.

Would you usually secure the ladder to the tree with a rope or anything? Have you ever had any close calls with the chainsaw up a ladder? Most of the lads in the YouTube clips falling off the ladders appeared to be amateurs. Was the use of ladders covered on any chainsaw courses you've completed?

I had a ladder go from under me before, when I was up the top of it. (I had it out too far from the wall and not tied off) It's not a nice feeling when your bouncing off the concrete with your arm trapped underneath the ladder! It happened so fast. Luckily I wasn't injured at all, but I always make sure I tie it to something now or have a few concrete blocks at the bottom of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,487 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

pachanco wrote: »
    If you press play on the video, then the message

Embedding disabled by request
    Watch on YouTube

comes up on the screen, if you then click the mouse over the underlined "watch on youtube", you should be redirected to YouTube and be able to see the clip. I don't know why it is happening. I think everyone who owns a chainsaw, would be well advised to watch it.
    noted, some scary videos there

I dont do tree work from a ladder.
    Heavy man at bottom of ladder to stop it slipping till I get off it and into the tree, and it has been a while since I have done that. TBH I do not feel secure using a ladder and am not happy till I am up and roped into the tree. Ladders and cherry pickers were covered in my courses.

If I am doing hedges I use this kind of folding ladder and do not overstreach:
    http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/viewprod/r/RODAMFL/
    but with only one bar at the foot of it.

Sorry, I misunderstood you there. Thanks for clarifying.

No worries, I'm presuming that you can see the pictures in my head that I am trying to describe :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement