Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wifi in an apartment?

Options
  • 29-12-2013 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi there!
    I'm a college student staying in student accomodation in Dublin. I am in an apartment with five others. The thing is, we only have wired internet connection, ie we have to plug our laptops into the wall using an ethrant cable thing. This is far from ideal as a number of us have tablets which require wifi for internet access. I have heard that it is possible to get one router for the apartment, which could literally just be plugged into the wall using an ethranet cable and thus give wifi to the whole apartment. Would anyone know if this is true or would anyone have any other suggestions?

Sorry for any incorrect terminology, I don't really know what I'm talking about!! :rolleyes::p:confused:
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,461 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

we can track this in Dartry so don't even think about it! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭janeparker

As i know, Cisco is delivered best products related to networking domain.However, it may be little expensive but gives assured quality.

Regards:
    Jane

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Handy if you are staying in a hotel or something :

Just hook one laptop up with cable and it can provide wireless for other devices

Free-ish or $$$ version :

http://www.connectify.me/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Why would WiFi be against the student accommodation rules? Because its possibly sharing with other apartments?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Skerries wrote: »
    we can track this in Dartry so don't even think about it! ;)

Doesnt halls have TCDwifi coverage?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Mr.S wrote: »
    The infrastructure isn't designed for tons of Wireless Networks, the possibility of un-secured access, with so many apartments close together and if they all had a wifi network to themselves, the waves could become congested.

The waves could become congested?

Ok.Good to know.

Advertisement