Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whats this decay

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭Silverscott

The trees are 11 years old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Canker.

Cut tree out, it may help reduce spread.

Common in ash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭Silverscott

ford2600 wrote: »
    Canker.

Cut tree out, it may help reduce spread.

Common in ash.

Cheers
    Only 2 trees in several thousand.

Cheers
    Only 2 trees in several thousand.

Check for it regularly. A stitch in time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

I would seek advice from someone who knows about tree disease. If this truly is Bacterial Ash canker (pseudomonas syringae), you may cause a spread to other wounded trees if very strict hygiene is not employed during the disposal of these ones. And the canker wont kill the trees. If infected by micro fungi such as Apple Canker, it may well result in die-back of stems later.

If you leave them in place, you may do less damage in the longer run, and the canker will create some habitat for wildlife which, in a large woodland might be called "Giving back to nature".

Personally, I would wait but WATCH VERY CLOSELY..

Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Just looking at your original photo, you seem to have had something happen to some local trees that forced their growth off about 30 degrees from the vertical that seems to have happened to the infected tree also. Am I wrong?

What's your stocking density there? Is that a 1- or 2- acre site?

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Just looking at your original photo, you seem to have had something happen to some local trees that forced their growth off about 30 degrees from the vertical that seems to have happened to the infected tree also. Am I wrong?

What's your stocking density there? Is that a 1- or 2- acre site?

Forked with early frost and then shaped?

Advertisement