Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

smelly neighbours

• 29-12-2013 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

I need advice badly. The new tenants moved in next door during the summer this year... they were fine at first but have since become a nightmare..I think they may be growing weed...our stinks of it and its so bad its starting to affect my kids. I have looked up the signs of weed growing and they are definitely showing next door. Loud music shouting and roaring..and their poor dogs. Definitely not approachable. A few days ago I couldn't take listening to jay z and eminen anymore after 4 hrs non stop, I went in and asked them could they turn down the volume...they said yeah whatever. I walked back into my house and they turned it up even louder..we already had 3 yrs of ****e from the previous tenants and now this lot..
    I cant take it much more. We own our house so we haven't the option to move..any advice would be welcome especially on the weed growing.thats my main issue especially when it involves my kids..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

I need advice badly. The new tenants moved in next door during the summer this year... they were fine at first but have since become a nightmare..I think they may be growing weed...our stinks of it and its so bad its starting to affect my kids. I have looked up the signs of weed growing and they are definitely showing next door. Loud music shouting and roaring..and their poor dogs. Definitely not approachable. A few days ago I couldn't take listening to jay z and eminen anymore after 4 hrs non stop, I went in and asked them could they turn down the volume...they said yeah whatever. I walked back into my house and they turned it up even louder..we already had 3 yrs of ****e from the previous tenants and now this lot..
    I cant take it much more. We own our house so we haven't the option to move..any advice would be welcome especially on the weed growing.thats my main issue especially when it involves my kids..

Call the Gardai and ask to speak with someone in the drugs unit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

contact your landlord.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭lycan238

Parchment wrote: »
    contact your their landlord.

does that make any more sense?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

lycan238 wrote: »
    does that make any more sense?

How would the OP know her neighbours landlord? Personally i would contact my landlord who will know the management company and possibly know the other tenants landlord. I would let them deal with it rather than directly address it when i have to live next to people who are possibly growing drugs....and seemingly not the most reasonable.

WAIT! ok - i see the error the my ways but possibly a management company could be contacted? *red face*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Marcus Halberstram

What are the signs they are growing weed and not just smoking it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭lycan238

How would the OP know her neighbours landlord? Personally i would contact my landlord who will know the management company and possibly know the other tenants landlord. I would let them deal with it rather than directly address it when i have to live next to people who are possibly growing drugs....and seemingly not the most reasonable.

WAIT! ok - i see the error the my ways but possibly a management company could be contacted? *red face*

haha thats fine. I would assume that the neighbours house is not the only one that is rented in the area and that their is a good chance that the same person might own next door as well as some other residences in the area. perhaps talk to the neighbour the other side who might be having the same issue. 2 people may be better here than only one.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭CHRISTINACO

We own our house and we have already gotten no where with their landlord when we were having issues with the previous tenants so thats a no go area

We are a mid terraced house and there is a walkway between them and the next house so either way we will get the brunt of it. The landlord has said he doesn't care what they do as long as rent is paid.how I know they are growing weed!!!!!! Very bright lights in a blacked out kitchen. Our house stinks of it especially our back bedroom. They play the stupid loud music to supposedly drown out the sound of the fans...if they are just smoking it it would be impossible for it to come thru walls surely..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

I had a similar problem it's not easy to resolve. The guards are going to do very little but keep pestering, ask to speak to the person in charge, the super intendant and anyone else who you can get a hold of. A formal complaint may also be something you'll have to explore.

You should indeed contact your landlord and the PRTB. Again neither is going to be quick to respond but the sooner you get the ball rolling. If you have contact for their landlord I'd also start pestering there, letter are the best bet copying everyone in on the letters you send. DO NOT make direct reference to illegal activity (except to the guards) simply mention a pungent smell and the various indicators. It's unlikely but you could be in trouble yourself if you end up saying the wrong thing rising to the level of defamation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 489 ✭✭mlumley

contact your landlord.

Read to op's post again, she owns the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I would speak to the guards, you would imagine they would be interested if they are growing it. Check your meter as well and make sure they aren't running their electricity off yours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

mlumley wrote: »
    Read to op's post again, she owns the house.

Not directed at me but I made the same mistake, thanks for the correction. OP you can also see FLAC / a solicitor about a possible nuisance action and the local council/guards ref noise. Basically get writing to anyone and everyone. Check the PRTB website to see if the LL next door is registered. If they're not thats the first issue you can create for them. Also worth reporting to revenue if not PRTB registered as they're unlikely to be paying tax. Again probably not going to do anything but it's a numbers game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Op contact the landlord of your neighbour one more time and point him/her in the direction of this,
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/landlord-fined-30k-for-tenants-actions-217217.html

A landlord has been ordered to pay almost €30,000 in damages after his tenants subjected neighbours to serious antisocial behaviour.

The residents said the behaviour went on for several years, and that they were “living in fear” and “felt intimidated”. They said they raised their concerns with Mr Harrington, who lives in Ardgroom, on the Beara peninsula, several times, without substantive or meaningful response.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

ring the guards and council report and record everything pass the landlords details onto them too. id ring up every time something was going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭pillphil

We are a mid terraced house and there is a walkway between them and the next house so either way we will get the brunt of it. The landlord has said he doesn't care what they do as long as rent is paid.how I know they are growing weed!!!!!! Very bright lights in a blacked out kitchen. Our house stinks of it especially our back bedroom. They play the stupid loud music to supposedly drown out the sound of the fans...if they are just smoking it it would be impossible for it to come thru walls surely..

People don't usually grow weed in their kitchen. Attics, spare bedrooms and occasionally bathrooms, but not usually kitchens, unless it's a whole house converted into a large grow op, in which case they'd probably be the best of neighbours and you'd never hear from them, and playing music to drown out the sound of fans would be pretty stupid. Why would you attract unnecessary attention to yourself like that?

I'm not saying they're not growing weed, in all likelihood they are, everyone is these days, but it's more likely they're just scumbags as opposed to a large scale weed growing operation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Quixoticelixer

Have you contacted the gardai yet re; suspected illegal activity? If you haven't; why not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

You need to keep a log of dates and times of when any anti-social behaviour is taking place. Maybe have a chat with your local community garda. Whenever there's anti-social behaviour you can ring the guards and either ask them to call to the neighbours or just to log your complaint. Get the name of the guard you speak to any time you phone the station.

Phone the PRTB and see what they suggest. If the property is registered with them they will have the landlords contact details. In order to take a complaint to the PRTB you will need to be able to prove that you have first spoken to the landlord and made him/her aware of the problem, otherwise you have no case. Hope it gets resolved for you soon OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Ask em for a splif and see what they say? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

You can get them on noise pollution for a start......it constitutes environmental pollution.

Unfortunately the landlord didnt help us with the previous tenants...who were worse but without the drugs..he is really an evil man and I wouldnt be suprised if he leased the house to the new lot out of spite. I have a complaint already in with the ptrb. Environmental health know of us only too well because of the problems we were having from previous lot..we are just not having any luck..I was leaving for work this morning at 5.15am and the party was still in full swing. Going to the gardai today after work so wish me luck...and thanks everyone for the advice

• Advertisement

Have you contacted the gardai yet re; suspected illegal activity? If you haven't; why not?

We havent contacted gardai as of yet because I wanted to be sure before I went and made a complaint.. these are not the kind of people I want to be accusing in the wrong of something. When I asked them to turn music down please and they turn it up even louder. He is kinda thuggish looking and she looks worn and has a loud growl. We have heard enough arguments to get a notion of them

pillphil wrote: »
    People don't usually grow weed in their kitchen. Attics, spare bedrooms and occasionally bathrooms, but not usually kitchens, unless it's a whole house converted into a large grow op, in which case they'd probably be the best of neighbours and you'd never hear from them, and playing music to drown out the sound of fans would be pretty stupid. Why would you attract unnecessary attention to yourself like that?

I'm not saying they're not growing weed, in all likelihood they are, everyone is these days, but it's more likely they're just scumbags as opposed to a large scale weed growing operation.

Im only going on the advice im getting on websites etc..two ppl in a large four bedroomed house they could be growing it anywhere in there. As I said im not sure and thats why im trying to get my facts right before I go to gardai. I spoke to a garda who came thru my work place and he said to ring crimestoppers and go to my local garda station so imwill be doing that this afternoon..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

We own our house and we have already gotten no where with their landlord when we were having issues with the previous tenants so thats a no go area

Landlords are legally required to ensure their tenants do not cause anti-social behavioural problems to their neighbours. Contact the landlord again, inform him of his LEGAL responsibility and tell him that unless he tells you exactly how he is going to sort out the problems his tenants are causing your next call will be to the PRTB and you will be initiating action against him. Make sure you are persistent with the PRTB as they can act but it can be a slow process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Engine No.9

How did you get on with the Gardaí, OP? Were they of any help?

Advertisement