Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get Eircom socket fitted

Options
  • 29-12-2013 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭

Hi.
    I am having problems with my broadband speed for the last number of months.  Up to around last April the speeds were consistently above 5mb, which I considered fine as the max speed in the area is 8mb.  Since around April however the max speed I get in the evening is about 1mb (but up to 5mb or 6mb during the day).  I have contacted customer service but they can not see any problems with the line.  I have also tried disconnecting everything and changing the router, but still no improvement. The statistics from the router are as follows:
    ADSL Link
    Downstream
    Upstream

Link Rate
    6144 Kbps
    384 Kbps

Line Attenuation
    4.0 dB
    4.0 dB

Noise Margin
    12.1 dB
    18.0 dB

I have come to the conclusion that the problem is possibly between the eircom connection box on the outside wall of the house, and the router.  Unfortunately there is no main eircom socket inside the house (this was not fitted at the time of the eircom connection).  I am hoping to get one of these sockets fitted, and to run a new wire to the outside connection box, to try to fix the problem.

How do I go about getting an eircom socket fitted inside the house?  Also, is there a connection charge for getting this done?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

tipperary wrote: »
    Hi.
    I am having problems with my broadband speed for the last number of months.  Up to around last April the speeds were consistently above 5mb, which I considered fine as the max speed in the area is 8mb.  Since around April however the max speed I get in the evening is about 1mb (but up to 5mb or 6mb during the day).  I have contacted customer service but they can not see any problems with the line.  I have also tried disconnecting everything and changing the router, but still no improvement. The statistics from the router are as follows:
    ADSL Link
    Downstream
    Upstream

Link Rate
    6144 Kbps
    384 Kbps

Line Attenuation
    4.0 dB
    4.0 dB

Noise Margin
    12.1 dB
    18.0 dB

I have come to the conclusion that the problem is possibly between the eircom connection box on the outside wall of the house, and the router.  Unfortunately there is no main eircom socket inside the house (this was not fitted at the time of the eircom connection).  I am hoping to get one of these sockets fitted, and to run a new wire to the outside connection box, to try to fix the problem.

How do I go about getting an eircom socket fitted inside the house?  Also, is there a connection charge for getting this done?
    Hi tipperary
    If you PM me your line number I should be able to see some indication of this issue, certainly if it is as you think, between connection box and router.  Do you know why no main socket was installed originally as this is not usual.
    Tony

Advertisement