Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Lone Wolf" FPS

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 quakke

Sarky wrote: »
    Have you even played Black Mesa? It's plenty fun, an excellent game given a dose of polish.

I certainly have played it, and couldn't finish it because the change from the original eventually became too big.
    CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I think the important words your post needs are the following "in my opinon", as it will clear up all ambiguity.

Black Mesa is an excellent and free fps, based on and acting as an update to Half Life, a game much in need of a graphical overhaul.
    The gameplay elements are there to make it more appealing to a wider audience and in that regard I think it's been a success.

Once again, Black Mesa in no way replaces Half Life, it doesn't seek, George Lucas Special Edition Style, to erase the earlier title with a new definitive version.

Of course, and watch what I do here, this is all just my opinion.

Let's just call it my opinnion then, so everyone is happy. It's just that since i have played FPS and games 20+years, i don't accept these modern streamlined games. Especially since this game is related to Half-Life.
    Where's all the cool multiplayer sci-fi Death match/CTF games gone?

Nothing as touched Q3/UT/Tribes in recent years.. or maybe i'm missing something. I'm probably missing something!

You are absolutely right. They have disappeared, you are not missing on anything. They have disappeared in favor of Call of Duty and likes. Though, we are in luck. Bunch of people have had enough that there is only Modern FPS being made and so they've decided to start making their own fastpaced Arena Shooter like Quake3/Unreal Tournament. Reborn is one of them, Reflex (http://www.reflexfps.net) is another one and finally, Cliff Bleszinski from Epic Games (Unreal Tournament). Though, now ex-Epic Games employ, has a plan to create a fastpaced Arena Shooter. Since most modern kids only know of Call of Duty and Battlefield, he wants to introduce them to True PC Shooters since there haven't even been one in over a decade or something. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-12-11-cliff-bleszinski-wants-to-make-a-pc-arena-based-fps

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,616 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Sorry, the one thing we are lucky to have now is a breadth of games which happen to be from the first person.
    So we get Half Life, Quake 3, CoD and the rest.
    Yes, much of the big budget stuff is repeats of the gun w@nk Medal of Modern warfare stuff but there is enough innovation out there to provide everyone with a great variety of titles.
    So we get Half Life episode 3 and Portal, not to mention Metroid Prime 3 and Mirrors Edge.
    We have squad based fare like Ghost Recon and "Lone Wolf" as the OP said games like Wolfenstein.
    It would seem first person shooters have moved on from the original Half Life, even Half Life has moved on from Half Life, as both Aperture Science and Black Mesa will attest.

If you are hung up on the fps of the late 90s early 00s fair enough, but realise you are in a lonely niche, there isn't a movement that sees a future in smaller arena shooters unless its in the freemium, make a quick buck by selling saps bigger guns and armour market.

Advertisement