Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which to go for 1st Gen 32gb or 2nd gen 16gb Ipad mini

• 29-12-2013 9:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,967 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering what I should do you can pick up cheap 32gb 1st generation Ipad mini or a 16gb retina display Ipad mini that works out more expensive, besides the screen is there that much difference between the two? Would you just go with the last gen Ipad mini with more memory? Just looking for a bit of advise and guidance on this.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Mrs Billy has an iPad 2 (non retina display) and I've got an iPad mini, she loves hers and I love mine. Hers never leaves the house and she prefers the larger screen, I'll be travelling a lot with mine so am quite happy to sacrifice screen size for portability. Aside from that there's no difference between them so it's up to you really....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,967 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Oops left out its between 1st gen mini and retina mini have you the retina version Billy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

To put it simply (spec wise) the iPad mini is an iPad 2, the mini retina is an iPad 5. So there's quite a difference between them. However I couldn't cope with 16GB storage, but many can...
    It wasn't an option but I'd go for the 32GB mini retina.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

If storage space is your primary concern then go for the 32GB iPad mini, if you'd prefer the better tablet then go for the 16GB Retina iPad mini.

As mentioned above the iPad 2 & iPad mini are very similar specs wise and differ mainly on screen size.
    Then you have the iPad mini with Retina display and the iPad Air, both of which are almost identical and only differ with screen size.

Overall the Retina mini is a much more powerful and better spec'd device.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭Armonline

Go for the retina version and store all your music on iTunes Match or Google music

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

My gf had the exact same dilemma before Christmas as she was getting me one for Christmas (unbeknownst to me!) and she went for the bigger storage on the 1st gen and I'm delighted tbh. I haven't had an issue yet with the 1st gen and I love it! For me the screen is perfectly sharp and I haven't noticed any issue running apps etc. Even without music I'm using up a fair amount of storage already just with apps and games so this suits me perfectly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Bets advice imho is to go for the latest and best model you can afford. You will fall in love with it and appreciate the investment.

Think I'll go with the latest as I already have an ipad 2 16gb, so basically, ipad mini 1st generation is just a scaled down Ipad2, it's just a shame Apple don't up their minimum memory without charging such a premium on higher memory versions. Thanks folks for all your advice :-)

Just wondering if there is any savings to be made buying from the Apple UK store and using parcel motel to get delivery?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

http://www.johnlewis.com/apple-ipad-mini-apple-a5-ios-6-7-9-wi-fi-cellular-64gb-black/p231800445

Wifi and 3G older model though but 64 of the giggling bytes

Special Offer: Save £230

From Apple UK :

iPad mini Wi-Fi + Cellular 16GB - Space Grey
    Purchase Information £349.00

http://store.apple.com/uk/buy-ipad/ipad-mini/16gb-space-grey-wifi-cellular

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Think I'll go with the latest as I already have an ipad 2 16gb, so basically, ipad mini 1st generation is just a scaled down Ipad2, it's just a shame Apple don't up their minimum memory without charging such a premium on higher memory versions. Thanks folks for all your advice :-)

I know it may be irritating ... but if you get comfortable with iTunes and how it manages files, then file swapping in and out will make the memory less of an issue.

Advertisement