Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gelish peeling within days

• 29-12-2013 10:03pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I normally get Shellac on my nails but the colour I wanted last time was OPI Gelish. It was applied on Saturday before Christmas and had started to peel by Christmas Eve. I've had to make an appointment to get it taken off tomorrow because it's peeling so much.

It's the same salon I always use, albeit a different therapist that I wasn't impressed with. Shellac lasts fine on my nails for up to 3 weeks so I'm disgusted that the Gelish lasted such little time. Does anyone else find this? Or could it be that the therapist did a bad job and another would do it better? Gelish has a nice range of colours so I'd like to be able to use it again and actually have it last. Also, I'd mention it to the salon if I felt it was a badly done job, but i won't say anything if it's just an issue with the polish.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

It won't be the polish, as far as I know that's a standard 3 week soak off gel and OPI is a really reputable brand. When you say the Saturday before Christmas, do you mean the 22nd? And it started peeling the 24th? There is definitely something wrong with the application if that's the case. Very worst case scenario you should get 2 weeks out of your soak off gel, you've basically had less than a week. I would definitely complain to be honest, the issue is with how it was put on, not with the polish, or your nails or anything else. Even if you had it put on on the 15th you got really bad value for money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

I've never had gelish (is it shellac? if so, then I've had it done) and within a few hours it started peeling on me, turns out the beautician did it badly, as she re-did it, and the same thing happened. Each time she put oil on my nails before the polish which lifted the polish.

I know of several others who had the same problem in the same salon, I also know of others who've have their nails done elsewhere without any issues.

If you've been getting your nails done in the same salon without issues previously I would mention it to them, and see what they say. I would guess it is the beautician, rather than the gelish or your own nails that is the issue.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Thanks for the replies. Yeah Teyla, got it done on the afternoon of the 21st, the first problem appeared on the evening of the 24th and by today there's serious issues with at least 3 nails.

She didn't put anything on my nails beforehand, I don't think, so I can't think of any obvious reason for it happening on that regard. When you look closely, you can see the application isn't that great so I'll definitely mention it to them and make sure to book in with another therapist the next time. It's such a shame because it's A) a gorgeous colour and B) it was flipping expensive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I've had Gelish before and it has been fine, but also got it done somewhere else and it lasted less time. I think that was because my nails were in really bad shape though.

Btw, not trying to be annoying but OPI don't own Gelish. Was it OPI's or Gelish's that you got? Either way, it should last near 2 weeks at least.

Pythia wrote: »
    I've had Gelish before and it has been fine, but also got it done somewhere else and it lasted less time. I think that was because my nails were in really bad shape though.

Btw, not trying to be annoying but OPI don't own Gelish. Was it OPI's or Gelish's that you got? Either way, it should last near 2 weeks at least.

Actually, I'm not sure! She just showed me the colour. I thought the bottle said OPI but I also thought I saw Gelish.

My nails are in bad shape, but then again, they always are!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Sounds like either the prep wasn't done or it wasn't applied properly. Gelish is on par with shellac, it's a good brand.

Toast4532 wrote: »
    Each time she put oil on my nails before the polish which lifted the polish.

You need completely dehydrated nails for the gel to stick. You shouldn't even have had used handcream on the day, preferably. A lot of the fiddling around they do as part of the prep is to take the natural oil off your nails, so what she did was completely counter-intuitive!

Sounds like the girl who did your nails just wasn't trained properly Faith, or there were blubs blown in the lamp or something, that's a disaster. The salon should want to retain your business though, and not annoy any other customers, so I would be asking for a free one!

Well I let them know last night and got it off today. They were really apologetic and offered to redo them for me on the spot for free. I didn't have time, but they've said the next time (or two, I'm not sure) they'll do them for free. Great customer service so I'm happy with that :).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I got Shellac on the 22nd also and it was peeling within a week, chipping very easily. I am so annoyed because I went to a very expensive salon because I couldn't get an appointment elsewhere :mad: Think I'll send them an email!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I got Artistic Colour Gloss in Mink on the 21st and it's still perfect now, 9 days later.

One of my friends actually bought me some real Shellac for Xmas so I'm pretty excited to try it myself and see how it fares when I'm not a beautician myself! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭CBFi

I used to get Shellac and it would peel within a week...they said my nails were too naturally oily. I get gel overlays now.

I got gelish on Monday night last - Christmas Eve Eve! The girl who did it was very particular, she only did two nails at a time before setting them to minimise shrinkage. She knew what she was talking about. 24 hours later two nails had completely peeled off, by Christmas morning, all bar one of them peeled right off. I was really disappointed. I've had shellac a good few times, and a brand called "fake - it" once. On one occasion with the shellac it chipped immediately but I went back to the salon and they fixed it, gave me a voucher for another free set, and threw out the particular bottle of polish as they said the issue was with it. Other than that I've never had an issue.

The girl who did mine last week told me that Shellac own Gelish, not sure how true that is.

My sis bought me a 3 week nail set for xmas, looks like one of the ones you sometimes see on groupon, so I'm looking forward to giving that a go.

Pythia wrote: »

One of my friends actually bought me some real Shellac for Xmas so I'm pretty excited to try it myself and see how it fares when I'm not a beautician myself! :)

I do my own. I bought a one day soak off nails course on livingsocial and after that bought myself a kit and a lamp. I am not bad, not as good as a great professional but better than some others I have paid for!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

Strangely, it's the opposite for me- I only get 3-4 days out of Shellac but over 2 weeks out of Gelish done by the same technician and even longer than that if I can put up with the regrowth at bottom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I've never noticed any significant difference between the various brands. The differences always lie in application. Peeling often happens due to the nail end not being sealed well. I generally get 3 weeks out of any "shellac"-type polish, sometimes even 4.

Glad to hear that the salon offered to sort it out, because that clearly didn't sound right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

I got the artistic gloss too and it peeled after a few days and I went back to the salon and they sorted it out. They weren't sure why it happened but didn't happen again. I use hair oil and I've been told that can cause the shellac to come off early.

Advertisement