Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair - New reserved seating structure(s)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Bob24 wrote: »
    If your are sitting in the middle and have a suitcase to collect in front and another one to collect at the back (and especially if only the front door of the cabin can be open) ... You basically have to wait for everyone else to have left before you can get your bags and you can't see what's happening to them while you are waiting.

How can you have two suitcases to collect? You're only allowed one! If you're travelling with someone else, then what's to stop them going one way and you going the other, and the two of you meeting up outside on the tarmac? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

How can you have two suitcases to collect? You're only allowed one! If you're travelling with someone else, then what's to stop them going one way and you going the other, and the two of you meeting up outside on the tarmac? :confused:

See the original post where I mention this:
    Bob24 wrote: »
    If you are travelling with an other person and each suitcase ends up on the opposite side of the cabin it can be annoying to be fair. Same if you have fragile items in the suitcase and they request you put it in the hold because cabin storage is really full already.

I do tend to help my partner with stowing/collecting her suitcase if it is heavy.

A I said, we just have different preferences. Why absolutely looking at proving that your way is the best one and other people's are flawed? It just is the one you prefer based on your own circumstances (circumstances are also something which changes the way people behave besides personal preferences - as I have mentioned if I am traveling alone with a small bag I will do the same as you and board towards the end rather than bothering with queuing).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

How are people getting emergency exit row seats by getting on last if you get a seat assigned at check-in? Or are you paying extra for the seat?

I've been on flights where those seats were not chosen (pre-selected before boarding).
    Flight attendants then went around asking people if they would take those seats (at no extra cost) to ensure they were in use for the flight(s).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Weird ... I thought it was standard industry practise to make sure there is a passenger sitting on that row who has been informed of how to open the emergency exit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭SteM

Makes sense to put someone there, makes a customer happy and might make them consider booking the seat in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Fagashlil

I tell you one thing, Wizz Air would never allow anyone an exit seat for free. Even after it was obvious that no one would be seated there.

That's odd, FR tried that a few years ago when they started with the reserving of rows 1&2 and the over wings, and after a few months the IAA ruled that they had to be occupied for safety

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

I'd love to know how many of the people who purchase priority boarding also buy a fast-track pass for the security gate ...

The one time we got one, we got the other too. We'd connecting flights and no way to guarantee that the first wouldn't be late. I've always "valuables" in my hand-luggage and would rather not have to check it in, so prefer to be there early enough to keep my bag, as well as not have it miles away on the plane (though I've no paranoia about anyone sneakily stealing onboard), therefore without being able to guarantee this decided to pay for priority boarding. So when we were delayed it was nice to just walk up past the huge boarding queue and be able to get in right away, stow bags and sit down. We also got the spacy 2nd row seat so I could get in and out easily for a walk or for the loo. I might also add that I'm pregnant so hubby wanted to make it as comfortable for me as possible. So we also got fast-track so the security queue was also quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

you do realise that priority works as its only a fraction of the entire flight.

I usually pre-pay for an exit row so get priority with it

In most airports it works fine....but...I have had the experience of getting called first and then ending up getting on a bus to the plane!!

As a result the people who were called first actually boarded last!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

tbh, unless you're a frail old lady, I really don't get why people would travel with a carry case that they cannot lift themselves overhead... :rolleyes:
    Most other passengers I find are helpful to lend someone a hand and often you wouldn't necessarily have to do it for someone in your party sitting far from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

Just wondering when can you avail of the free seat selection? Is it a week before your flight?

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭mjp

Booking Ryanair flight for winter sun break for two of us but only 1 seat left st current price wit it increasing by €40 after that. If I book it off phone and computer for separate seats can I get the final seat price on both bookings at same time or will they time me out.

Feedback much appreciated.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Doubt it, will it not give you the two tickets at the same price ? Have you tried proceeding ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I doubt it. Clear your cookies on your browser , see if it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

In my experience if you book them together they'll both be the higher price but if you make 2 separate bookings you'll get one at cheaper price and then the next at the higher price.

Would be fairly definite you won't get them both at cheaper price but better than nothing I reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭alwald

grimm2005 wrote:
    In my experience if you book them together they'll both be the higher price but if you make 2 separate bookings you'll get one at cheaper price and then the next at the higher price.

I agree as I was in a similar situation few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭0lordy

Agreed as above.

Also: If you try to book single seats simultaneously at the lower price through different devices or whatever, it will allow one to go through, but the other will get a "Card Denied" type error, forcing you to go back to the start, and get hit with the higher price.

Only issue with separate bookings is that there is more of a chance of being split up when checking in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭mjp

0lordy wrote:
    Also: If you try to book single seats simultaneously at the lower price through different devices or whatever, it will allow one to go through, but the other will get a "Card Denied" type error, forcing you to go back to the start, and get hit with the higher price.

0lordy wrote:
    Only issue with separate bookings is that there is more of a chance of being split up when checking in.

Yes that's what happened me earlier in week. Both of us booked simultaneously on phones and submitted at same time but mine got a rejected and timeout error and had to go back and rebook and price had changed.

Bigger fool me thinking I'd get one over on Michael o Leary. He hasn't got where he is today without being a cute hoor like he is !!! Worth a try though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

I was chasing flights to Alicante for October with Ryanair. They went from €38 to €46 to €52 to €69 to €79 to €82. They would actually fluctuate during the day. Each time they would say "only 5 seats" left at this price etc. They then collapsed to €48 per flight and have now started increasing like before. I waited until the price came to me and they did.

I often only book the outward flight if priced right but not in inward flight. Ryanair have started the other trick of offering a low price going out but a high price for the return leg. Just book one way and wait for the return leg price to fall back. It usually does.

I don't pay much attention to the only 5 seats left trick. Ryanair want to fill all their seats and will sell them at any price to get full capacity. 4 to 6 weeks out is the best time to book with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

This must be a real money spinner for them. But how necessary is it?

Im traveling this time next month with my family of 4 including an infant.

They are recommending I prebook which for the the very basic seats will cos an extra 50 quid. I have already paid for priority on the count of having baby with me.

Free check in is on the 15th sep.

What are the chance of them splitting the family? Is this just another way of scare tacics to make a cheap flight more expensive?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,777 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If you want to be sure to be sitting together pay for it, if not take the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭yqtwqxqm

I was chasing flights to Alicante for October with Ryanair. They went from €38 to €46 to €52 to €69 to €79 to €82. They would actually fluctuate during the day. Each time they would say "only 5 seats" left at this price etc. They then collapsed to €48 per flight and have now started increasing like before. I waited until the price came to me and they did.

I often only book the outward flight if priced right but not in inward flight. Ryanair have started the other trick of offering a low price going out but a high price for the return leg. Just book one way and wait for the return leg price to fall back. It usually does.

I don't pay much attention to the only 5 seats left trick. Ryanair want to fill all their seats and will sell them at any price to get full capacity. 4 to 6 weeks out is the best time to book with them.

I have noticed exactly this too.
    They have the timing down to a tee. Wait a few days and the return leg is out of sync with the most likely departure dates again and the price is lower for your return leg.
    Another great money saver is to fly to the UK for a tenner or so and then you have a huge choice of destinations and prices significantly (sometimes even a few hundred euro) cheaper than the same destination out of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭Amouar

This must be a real money spinner for them. But how necessary is it?

Im traveling this time next month with my family of 4 including an infant.

They are recommending I prebook which for the the very basic seats will cos an extra 50 quid. I have already paid for priority on the count of having baby with me.

Free check in is on the 15th sep.

What are the chance of them splitting the family? Is this just another way of scare tacics to make a cheap flight more expensive?

Try to check in as soon as check in opens. It's almost guaranteed to sit together since the plane is still empty and you're among the first ppl to check in . In case you end up not sitting together, use ryanair live chat and explain the issue to them, they might change your seats for free ( did it for me once), or they will uncheck you from the flight and you can then buy seats and check in again.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,205 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Very very low a long as you check in when the free window opens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Checked in 5 people on the way out and back from faro with 4 days left both times. all seated together both times.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,246 ✭✭✭✭km79

Amouar wrote: »
    Try to check in as soon as check in opens. It's almost guaranteed to sit together since the plane is still empty and you're among the first ppl to check in . In case you end up not sitting together, use ryanair live chat and explain the issue to them, they might change your seats for free ( did it for me once), or they will uncheck you from the flight and you can then buy seats and check in again.
    If they have an infant do they not HAVE to pay for seats now to ensure they are sitting together under the new fees system ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

km79 wrote: »
    If they have an infant do they not HAVE to pay for seats now to ensure they are sitting together under the new fees system ?

I dont think so. The babies ticket was 20 euro to sit on my lap. This could be a real pain for a stranger next to me, as well as me. A 2 year old can get heavy after 2 hours of pawing and poking to get free.

Would be essential really that I have my wife beside me to help keep baby calm and settled.

Advertisement