Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair - New reserved seating structure(s)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

km79 wrote: »
    :D
    Definitely seems to be more risk of being split up now alright

If my wife is going on holidays with her wife, the seating arrangements aren't the only thing at risk of being split up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Jayop wrote: »
    The missus and her wife flew twice this week and although there were only two of them and the flight wasn't full they were allocated seats away from each other on both legs.

Clear tactic from Ryanair to force people to buy seats. Poor form and I'm someone who always defends them here.

Yep. Happened to us too - summer destinations seemingly. As it was a 4 hour flight ww wanted to sit together . Only way was to call them and change the seats and pay for them. Despite being able to see an empty seat next to me on the site they couldn't move my husband to it as it was 'occupied' on their screen!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

Dovies wrote: »
    Yep. Happened to us too - summer destinations seemingly. As it was a 4 hour flight ww wanted to sit together . Only way was to call them and change the seats and pay for them. Despite being able to see an empty seat next to me on the site they couldn't move my husband to it as it was 'occupied' on their screen!!

So, you were separated from his good self on a 4 hour flight while you were adjacent to an empty seat? To resolve this you engaged the cabin crew who insisted on charging for a seat change?

Here's the thing, why didn't you just reject their kind offer and as soon as the seat belt lights go off your hubby just quietly vacates his seat and take the one next to you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Dovies wrote: »

For take off the plane needs to be properly balanced left-right, and more weight in the back. That's why they don't allow the people to change their seats before take off.

Once in the air, just go to the toilet and return to a different seat...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

grogi wrote: »
    For take off the plane needs to be properly balanced left-right, and more weight in the back. That's why they don't allow the people to change their seats before take off.

Does this weight distribution apply to landing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,027 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Considering that customers aren't asked their weight it's not a very effective method of balancing a plane. What happens if a rugby team books all the seats on the left of a plane are they asked to move?

Del2005 wrote: »
    Considering that customers aren't asked their weight it's not a very effective method of balancing a plane. What happens if a rugby team books all the seats on the left of a plane are they asked to move?

It is effective enough. Just make sure you have the same numer of men and women on both sides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭lc180

Jayop wrote: »
    The missus and her wife flew twice this week and although there were only two of them and the flight wasn't full they were allocated seats away from each other on both legs.

Clear tactic from Ryanair to force people to buy seats. Poor form and I'm someone who always defends them here.

Just back from a trip and the same happened to me.

On the way over I checked in pretty late so me and my girlfriend were separated and I could see no free seats beside eachother so no biggie.

On the way back I checked in as soon as free allocation became available and we were automatically allocated seats apart and on opposite ends of plane. Never experienced this before, in the past we always got allocated free seat together or nearby.

In the end I just sucked it up and paid €6 for a seat change. No big deal, it doesn't put me off using Ryanair but kinda ****ty that they changed their allocation system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,522 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

lc180 wrote:
    On the way back I checked in as soon as free allocation became available and we were automatically allocated seats apart and on opposite ends of plane. Never experienced this before, in the past we always got allocated free seat together or nearby.

Same as that. I flew twice in the last week and we were separated both times. We both had empty seats beside us on the way back. We noticed they had done it with lots of other people too so it wasn't just us.

I'd say this could become like the carry on bag situation. The next few years could see the other airlines follow suit. Then they'll​ make out they're doing you a favour by reverting to the original situation of seating groups together.

I wonder how long until I see an ad for an airline saying they'll make every effort to seat people together as standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭Masala

Same as that. I flew twice in the last week and we were separated both times. We both had empty seats beside us on the way back. We noticed they had done it with lots of other people too so it wasn't just us.

I'd say this could become like the carry on bag situation. The next few years could see the other airlines follow suit. Then they'll​ make out they're doing you a favour by reverting to the original situation of seating groups together.

I wonder how long until I see an ad for an airline saying they'll make every effort to seat people together as standard.

Am reading that they 'sneaked' this in and no longer sit couples together on the one booking if you don't prebook seats. Bit sneaky and looks like they slipping back to their old ways of sneaky revenue generation. Won't be long before the fee goes up and up

• Advertisement

It's pretty poor form and makes a mockery of the new nice friendly Ryanair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭mattser

Fly shamrock air. Yea, that's right, the one that charged me £200 return to London in 1987.

Ryanair are brilliant, don't get me wrong. But they're not immune to criticism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

This post has been deleted.
    You can often fly them for the same money or less these days.[/quote]

Yep I regularly do it, free exit row seat upon desk check in and free check in for small hand luggage cases, makes going through the airport a breeze :)

Masala wrote: »
    Am reading that they 'sneaked' this in and no longer sit couples together on the one booking if you don't prebook seats. Bit sneaky and looks like they slipping back to their old ways of sneaky revenue generation. Won't be long before the fee goes up and up

Yep this is what I was trying to say last night - perils of typing on the phone!

We checked in as soon as the check in window opened and we were seated some 20 rows apart. We could see empty seats together on the manage my booking screen but the only way they would move us when we rang them was by purchasing seats together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭posy2010

Just happened to us. On complete opposite ends of the plane, both in middle seats. Not sure its worth paying for a flight that lasts less than an hour!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Shaque attack

Same as well. Disappointing to see this carry on. Would love it if there was some app where people could agree to swap seats pre-boarding.

Also when looking at seat maps online both aisle and window seats are free next to mine and my partner's middle seats at either end.

Surely this is going to affect couples who want to book together?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

posy2010 wrote: »
    Also when looking at seat maps online both aisle and window seats are free next to mine and my partner's middle seats at either end.

I'd be delighted not to sit beside the mrs for a a few hours....

• Advertisement

That's fine but often couples plan to sit next to one another in order to watch something on a laptop etc. I know that applies to me. It would be unnecessary for both of us to carry laptops/IPads and so we will bring one and for longer flights share it for watching entertainment etc.
    Purposely splitting people up is just a ****#y move. Of course it occasionally happens when flights are very full and you check in late but it sounds like Ryanair are fishing for revenue here, what was that about a leopards not changing their spots??

That's fine but often couples plan to sit next to one another in order to watch something on a laptop etc. I know that applies to me. It would be unnecessary for both of us to carry laptops/IPads and so we will bring one and for longer flights share it for watching entertainment etc.
    Purposely splitting people up is just a ****#y move. Of course it occasionally happens when flights are very full and you check in late but it sounds like Ryanair are fishing for revenue here, what was that about a leopards not changing their spots??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

km79 wrote: »
    Just off a webchat with them here is the gist of it

Go through website and not app and adult seat will be 4 euro child seat free
    I informed him I had tried this multiple times last night to no avail
    He then said I can book them and apply for refund via webchat tomorrow
    Total cost for one adult one child 8 euro with remaining 2 full price or free check in

Interestingly I don't think I actually have to prebook any seats and can check in 4 days ahead as before
    Booked seats
    Went back into webchat
    Refusing to refund

Luckily I took screen grabs ...........I now have to escalate it through a different form

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

I notice Ryanair are now assigning seats at opposite ends of the plane. Even when you are on the same booking.
    Any workaround? I'm not paying them to pick a seat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Scumbags putting people from the same booking at opposite ends of the plane, is that a recent thing? Quoting me €18 to sit beside each other. I remember now why I avoid them.

I notice Ryanair are now assigning seats at opposite ends of the plane. Even when you are on the same booking.
    Any workaround? I'm not paying them to pick a seat.

Just started this. Had no problem going to London and back and the beginning of May - checked in late too. However checked in last week for the Canaries as soon as the check in window opened and were seated 20+ rows apart. Had to ring them to move seats and they wouldn't do it unless we paid for seats together even though on the 'manage my booking' page the seats beside us were empty

Scumbags putting people from the same booking at opposite ends of the plane, is that a recent thing? Quoting me €18 to sit beside each other. I remember now why I avoid them.

I was flying in November and it required me to book seats when travelling with kids. I think it was around October last year that this tactic was introduced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

I was flying in November and it required me to book seats when travelling with kids. I think it was around October last year that this tactic was introduced.

And a lot of people without kids were really happy about it as they would not have to move to accommodate families with kids etc .........but now it's affecting even just couples travelling together requiring them to also pay or be split up .........they aren't as happy now that they will also have to pay to sit together .....might be a lot to swap seats now ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Is that very last minute check-in?

Doing in on purpose even if neighbouring seats are available would really be going a step too far.

• Advertisement

Just so you know if you go into print boarding passes it will say oh you are sitting miles from each other, want to change? I said yes to see and the seat next to my pre allocated one was empty so only had to pay a fiver for the 1 seat. May be worth a go day before flight!

Advertisement