Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair - New reserved seating structure(s)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Never previously was forced to pay to be seated with my child.

It's a new discriminatory policy to shake down parents for a few extra euros and it's quite frankly disgraceful.

Hopefully the Commission will take action.

They'v no grounds to take action.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 FreddyGotFried

We'll leave that for the Commission to decide I think.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Jayop wrote: »
    We get it, it doesn't bother you.

It does bother others and they're entitled to be bothered without someone being belligerent towards them.

Im not being belligerent, the people havent a clue how basic economy works. I tried in a dumbed down way explaining it. It doesnt bother most people more empty vessels make the most noise people who get worked up over stupid stuff

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

irishman86 wrote: »
    Im not being belligerent, the people havent a clue how basic economy works. I tried in a dumbed down way explaining it. It doesnt bother most people more empty vessels make the most noise people who get worked up over stupid stuff

I think we all understand basic economy. We all also understand how goodwill and customer service work and in this case, if views on this thread are representative of views of the majority of Ryanair customers then the one is damaging the other with this new move regardless of how much money it makes in the short term. Bad customer vibes generate less revenue, not more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭Masala

The concept of paying €2 for a seat number is wrong.

Paying €10 to go to the cinema (or a restaurant / a show) and then say 50¢ to choose your seat is alien to the service industry.

My concern is (as per all Ryanair fees)... it starts as €2 and then once bedded in goes to €5 / €7 / €8 / €10.

The concept that a 'couple' cant be seated together WHEN there are seats free to accommodate is just 'mean-spirited'. If enough passengers complain/ insist that they need to sit together and eventually delays kick in .... then Ryanair might realize that this has back fired.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

It's forcing a parent to pay extra.

Its discriminatory.

It's not.

Exactly the same arguments were made when they stopped giving free hold luggage. People complained that they couldn't manage on holidays with hand luggage only if they had kids, and so it was discriminatory against parents.

Meanwhile anyone who didn't have kids and could manage with hand luggage ended up getting cheaper flights, instead of having to subsidise other people's baggage.

It's a revenue increasing exercise. They're looking for increased revenue from somewhere, if it wasn't this, it'd be something else anyway.
    People who aren't bothered don't have to pay extra. People who are bothered have a fairly cheap solution.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 FreddyGotFried

One is an optional payment the other is not.

That is why it 'IS' discriminatory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

miamee wrote: »
    I think we all understand basic economy. We all also understand how goodwill and customer service work and in this case, if views on this thread are representative of views of the majority of Ryanair customers then the one is damaging the other with this new move regardless of how much money it makes in the short term. Bad customer vibes generate less revenue, not more.
    Well I take the views here lightly, you are more likely to post a negative review than a positive one
    Masala wrote: »
    The concept of paying ?2 for a seat number is wrong.

Paying ?10 to go to the cinema (or a restaurant / a show) and then say 50? to choose your seat is alien to the service industry.

My concern is (as per all Ryanair fees)... it starts as ?2 and then once bedded in goes to ?5 / ?7 / ?8 / ?10.

The concept that a 'couple' cant be seated together WHEN there are seats free to accommodate is just 'mean-spirited'. If enough passengers complain/ insist that they need to sit together and eventually delays kick in .... then Ryanair might realize that this has back fired.

So the cinema example is either you buy your tickets and are allocated a seat number or its fcfs. If you buy your tickets and seats werent available together would you still buy two and ask people to move, the answer is no
    In first come first serve you will sit where ever there is available seats if none are together do you ask people to move for your happiness thus delaying the start of the movie.
    I dont think you guys realise how rude it is to demand others to move to suit you, refuse to sit unless you are with your partner etc etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I've not once said I would ask someone to move, nor would I ever do so.

Maybe your assumptions are stupid?

• Advertisement

You're calling people stupid over and over as well as dismissing what people hold as valid criticism. You're being belligerent.

Whom did I call stupid, I dont know ye. I said examples given were stupid and showed why I felt that way. I would never call someone stupid.
    I am dismissing the criticism as just like you except in the opposite I feel its wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Hey, popcorn time...

I've not once said I would ask someone to move, nor would I ever do so.

Maybe your assumptions are stupid?

You see you are insulting, Im not doing that. I only would have said something replying to you, did you say you asked someone to move

You see you are insulting, Im not doing that. I only would have said something replying to you, did you say you asked someone to move

I'm insulting, yet you've posted...

Originally Posted by irishman86 View Post
    And people should stop feeling so entitled and get the **** over it.
    Quote:
    Your examples are beyond stupid
    Quote:
    if you want to be out money to prove a stupid point well that says a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Quote:
    Quote:

You don't get it Jayop.

When certain people say this, it is not insulting/belligerent because these people are right and others are stupid.

But if these others people say the same thing back it is insulting because in that case the person saying it is wrong and the other person feels they are entitled for the respect they don't give to others due to their superiority.

Quote:
    Quote:

Where do I insult anyone there :confused:
    You can say a point is stupid if its stupid, calling people entitled is hardly a insult
    I have each time commented on a post not the poster.
    Lets say I head over to the pregnancy area and start commenting on stuff, Im sure I would quickly be called out for being in way over my head

Aye OK, whatever your think yourself. I'll leave it there with you because you're not worth picking up a card over tbh.

Bob24 wrote: »
    You don't get it Jayop.

When certain people say this, it is not insulting/belligerent because these people are right and others are stupid.

But these others people say the same thing back it is insulting because in that case the person saying it is wrong and the other person feels they are entitled for the respect they don't give to others due to their superiority.

Ah pretension got to love it. Nothing I said was a insult to think it was says a lot more about you guys than me. Just because my opinion a person on the internet affects you and you take it as a insult doesnt mean it is.

Aye OK, whatever your think yourself. I'll leave it there with you because you're not worth picking up a card over tbh.

Why would we possibly get a card over this, I havent taken anything you said as a insult and I explained how I wasnt insulting you guys. Just like you think Im wrong, I think ye are wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭Masala

Well I take the views here lightly, you are more likely to post a negative review than a positive one

So the cinema example is either you buy your tickets and are allocated a seat number or its fcfs. If you buy your tickets and seats werent available together would you still buy two and ask people to move, the answer is no
    In first come first serve you will sit where ever there is available seats if none are together do you ask people to move for your happiness thus delaying the start of the movie.
    I dont think you guys realise how rude it is to demand others to move to suit you, refuse to sit unless you are with your partner etc etc etc

I have no problem in fcfs. That was the way in Ryanair- hence the long queues in the Departures. If you want to sit together- you queued early. All Happy!

My problem now is Ryanair have taken away the fcfs option which is fine BUT deliberately go out of their way to endure you dont sit together unless you pay extra. So...in the above example I get to the cinema early and despite no-one else in the theater - I must pay extra to sit with my spouse. Otherwise - I must sit where they allocate me which is deliberately away from each other. I must be stupid....cos I cant see how that makes sense.

I am prepared to take a chance ...if I cant be seated together - then so be it. BUT TO DELIBERATELY separate me from my spouse cos I wont pay a fee is just pure mean and small minded.

• Advertisement

Masala wrote: »
    I have no problem in fcfs. That was the way in Ryanair- hence the long queues in the Departures. If you want to sit together- you queued early. All Happy!

My problem now is Ryanair have taken away the fcfs option which is fine BUT deliberately go out of their way to endure you dont sit together unless you pay extra. So...in the above example I get to the cinema early and despite no-one else in the theater - I must pay extra to sit with my spouse. Otherwise - I must sit where they allocate me which is deliberately away from each other. I must be stupid....cos I cant see how that makes sense.

I am prepared to take a chance ...if I cant be seated together - then so be it. BUT TO DELIBERATELY separate me from my spouse cos I wont pay a fee is just pure mean and small minded.

That fcfs option is gone a while no?
    In Ryanair they no longer have it which means it isnt a valid comparison to the Cinema. I used the cinema if it was full and you had to take a seat and really wanted to see the movie but couldnt sit beside your spouse what would you do. You would take the last seats not ask someone to move.
    I agree its mean, Ive never argued that, small minded I disagree I think its a business move to take advantage of the growing amount of people traveling as Europe leaves recession.
    Regarding fcfs, like you said with waiting lines, I dont see it being practical

• Registered Users Posts: 6,245 ✭✭✭joeysoap

I booked 4 Ryanair flights for between April and October. Two return and two outward. On both the returns I booked a seat as I wanted to print off boarding in advance of travelling. On the first one i was 'offered' half price seating for €2 and I choose this, as I only wanted to print the boarding passes. Seats 18c and 18d.

Same on the 2nd flight, offered 'half price' seats so I choose 18c and 18d again. And in doing so made the classic mistake assuming these seats were €2. Only noticed later that two flights costing almost identical fares were now on my bank statement but €10 apart. Didn't pass too much heed but when I booked the two later flights ( that's another thing, MOL is giving the Brits welly over Brexit but I saved over €250 by booking flights via the UK, RY to UK, Uk to resort 3 hours longer travelling admittedly.

And that's when I noticed the seat prices, you see a outline of the aircraft with the different prices. Priority with legroom, ( dark blue) priority (yellow :)) standard (light blue) and on sale (red). 4 price ranges. EXCEPT: within those price bands there's a different price for seats depending on the row. E.g. Sale seats reduced €6 to €3, but you have to choose rows 24 to 26 to get the €3. Row 18 might still cost €6 and row 25 might cost €4.50 - even though they are coloured red. Same with standard seats - advertised as €6 but they can cost up to €10 for row 6 or 7. It's really like a shop saying 'from', it's doesn't mean all seats in the category are that price.

As they were outward flights I didn't need to book seats but reading this thread I decided maybe I would book them for the UK leg and that's when I discovered that there is no seat 'sale' after you have completed your booking. And of course the seats were in sterling. So no, not going pay as much for the seats as the flight, if we are seperated for the 3 hours no big deal, we have over 2 hours at the uk airport, so will have a snack there instead of on the plane.

As they used to say on hill street blues - be careful , it's a jungle out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭nualaonthewall

Just checked in for a flight next week and, yup, got allocated middle seats at opposite ends of the plane. Checked via a dummy booking and seats available either side of both of us and obviously many middle seats allocated randomly all over the plane.

Clearly a new policy but I'm not paying. Since it's too awkward eating and drinking in a middle seat with strangers on each side, Ryanair have not only NOT managed to extract extra income from us, they've actually lost our beverage and food money too. Not to mention us feeling more than a little irritated at the deliberate effort to gouge.

Clearly a new policy but I'm not paying. Since it's too awkward eating and drinking in a middle seat with strangers on each side, Ryanair have not only NOT managed to extract extra income from us, they've actually lost our beverage and food money too. Not to mention us feeling more than a little irritated at the deliberate effort to gouge.

Give it a few months and they'll get rid of this once they realise they are losing more money from it than they are making.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,245 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Very unfair on the cabin crew. They have to turn the plane around in a certain time and if passengers are looking at swooping it delays departure.

nualaonthewall sums the situation perfectly. If you are allocated a middle seat and your partner is separated from you, eat at the airport, don't even buy a beverage. If their monitoring is good they will soon miss the revenue.

joeysoap wrote: »
    Very unfair on the cabin crew. They have to turn the plane around in a certain time and if passengers are looking at swooping it delays departure.

Yes. I guess Ryanair's management only care mildly about being fair on the cabin crew though, but if it starts causing delays (and costing the company money) then they'll start to care.

nualaonthewall sums the situation perfectly. If you are allocated a middle seat and your partner is separated from you, eat at the airport, don't even buy a beverage. If their monitoring is good they will soon miss the revenue.

And if a Ryanair staff ever asks you to swap seat for anything else than safety/legal reasons, politely inform them that if they would prefer to use that specific one your seat is available for a fee ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

On a roll there Bob

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭jimmy180sx

I try to check in 2hrs before the flight.last few times I've managed an exit seat. Majority of the time I've got an aisle or window. I used to check in for the return flight a few days early and always got a middle seat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭mattser

Absolutely not. Extortionate prices. I bring my sandwiches with me for a 3 or 4 hour flight. **** them.

Advertisement