Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which cellular data plan for iPad....?

• 29-12-2013 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭

I've got an iPad mini and I was wondering what options were available for cellular data. I don't intend to use it often I'd just like to have the option for when I'm out and about so I don't need a monthly bill pay plan so what are my best options?
    Ideally I'd like a PAYG sim that I could have a data allowance that didn't expire if I didn't use it (but I don't think they exist) and top it up as I needed.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Ideally I'd like a PAYG sim that I could have a data allowance that didn't expire if I didn't use it (but I don't think they exist)

You're correct there - no such thing here.

Why not just use the hotspot/internet sharing feature on your Android/iPhone ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

You could buy a 3 sim and top up with €20 then use a fiver a month for 500MB, then the months you don't want to use it then don't use the credit on the data add on. 60 quid a year if you used 500MB a month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Alternatively Three UK offer prepaid SIMs which last for a while. Best one is probably the £70/12gb one and is valid for a year. With their free roaming to the south it's as good as a Three Ireland one.

http://store.three.co.uk/Mobile_Broadband/Plans/Pay_As_You_Go

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I tried tethering it to my phone data package and that works great, I also wanted to be able to give it to my son while he's away from home (and a WiFi connection) so that he could use it occasionally when his own phone data ran out.

I can't see why the service providers don't sell a package that lets you buy, for example, 1GB of data that doesn't expire if you don't use it within 'x number of days', that you can just top up when and if you need it. Surely there'd be a market for that...?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

€10 euro gets you 5 gb a month, or €5 for 1 gb for light users with tesco.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭munsterleinster

€10 euro gets you 5 gb a month, or €5 for 1 gb for light users with tesco.

I know this was posted a few weeks back but can't find this on their webpage..
    Where did you see these prices for tesco mobile?

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I can't see why the service providers don't sell a package that lets you buy, for example, 1GB of data that doesn't expire if you don't use it within 'x number of days', that you can just top up when and if you need it. Surely there'd be a market for that...?

Because they won't make money off you that way. Carriers are now dumb data pipes and they've realised it. Data is only to get more expensive.

Well they're not getting any extra from me, on the few occasions where I've needed to get online I just did as suggested earlier and used my phone as a hotspot.
    If there were the option to have a PAYG sim which didn't expire until you use the data I'd probably stick a tenner on one and have it just in case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

you throwing a tenner on a PAYG sim every now and then doesn't make them money. suckering people into contracts or a 30day sim plan is how they money, they know this and offer their services accordingly.

you're best bet is to get a tesco mobile sim and use one of their "Once off bundles" from here http://www.tescomobile.ie/priceplans/high-speed-data.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

OP why not sign up to the Mitch plan with 48 15gb a month for 15e

http://www.48months.ie/deal

• Advertisement

Thats €15 per month, I was looking for a plan where I could buy X GB which I could load onto my sim, and that data remained there until I used it rather than having to 'use it or lose it' after thirty days....

Advertisement