Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

boards.ie (General Feedback)

Options
  • 29-12-2013 11:56pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 132 ✭✭

Latest Threads:
    IMAGE BELOW IS ONLY AN EXAMPLE OF WHAT I AM TRYING TO SAY. The "my forum tabs will still be there", the "Latest Threads" will be in a tab form, the image below is just an example of what I mean.
    4y9Xlzq.png

Now, this would display the latest threads, this would be excellent.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Just to respond to a few of your points:
    Banneret wrote: »
    Icons:
    - Update the Smiles. (vBulletin have updated done 3 major updates to their software since this version on boards.ie and they included new smiles each time, they look a lot nicer...)

Work is well underway to move Boards away from vBulletin. A new platform is being developed, so updates made to vBulletin will never kick in here I'm afraid. Of course it is possible that when it is completed the new look Boards will have the greatest smileys on the internet. We'll just have to wait and see.
    Other forums and more of a wider discussion (More forum sections,

We have the guts of a thousand forums, how much wider would you like it? :confused: Of course you can always request new forums here.
    Reputation/Ranks:
    e.g: image reputation,more posts,etc. or give reputation,etc.
    e.g: Ranks -> amount of posts/time spent on boards/thanked by <-- all combined and added up,etc.. <<^^ these were just examples.

This is one of the default and a loved feature in all forum software (xenForo,IPB,vBulletin,etc). IT EXTREMELY MOTIVATES PEOPLE on the forum, it will not make people spam but include much more quality,time and thought to the forum and people.

We tried this once, it was an unmitigated disaster and was removed. Never underestimate the ability of Irish internet users to subvert something that might work well elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

reputation and ranking will create a clique like feedback loop.

I think other sites have a lot to learn from boards - per forum moderators and moderation rules for instance. A great division of powers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Zaph, I think he's talking about maybe putting more general selctions. So instead of everything under "Arts", maybe sort it into "music" and "Tv". I think that's it, at least.
    BTW, really off topic, but where does your username come from? I figured it was a mispelling of "Zapp" from Futurama

I just wanna mention something about the reputation.
    I post regularly on a forum for wrestling.
    We have that system there.

It's really a terrible idea. I get that it might *seem* like a good idea; if we have someone who is an "expert" on cars, for example. And that person answers questions that give good information then he might get his reputation up.
    But the end of it is that you will have people in various forums that dislike each other and just give negative reputation to people they dislike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Zaph, I think he's talking about maybe putting more general selctions. So instead of everything under "Arts", maybe sort it into "music" and "Tv". I think that's it, at least.
    BTW, really off topic, but where does your username come from? I figured it was a mispelling of "Zapp" from Futurama

I just wanna mention something about the reputation.
    I post regularly on a forum for wrestling.
    We have that system there.

It's really a terrible idea. I get that it might *seem* like a good idea; if we have someone who is an "expert" on cars, for example. And that person answers questions that give good information then he might get his reputation up.
    But the end of it is that you will have people in various forums that dislike each other and just give negative reputation to people they dislike.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zaphod_Beeblebrox

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

ken wrote: »
    Well then, excuse me for being a damn child raised in the 90s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

They obviously don't teach the Classics in school any more. :pac:

That's no excuse, especially considering they've updated the audiobooks and had a feature length movie released in the cinema in 2005 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

I also thought it was in relation to a certain velour loving space captain. In my defence it has been a few years since I last read the Guide. :o

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

You've never read a book that was written before 1990?!
    You need to get off boards and get to a library. (That's a big building you go to and borrow books.) :pac:

Advertisement