Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Krakow in February

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

ya true, makes the most sense i guess.

sorry should have asked this earlier, are thee any must trys regarding polish food/alcohol i should try when over:) i read the walnut vodka is supposed to be good so will give it a try, anything else:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

zweton wrote: »
    sorry should have asked this earlier, are thee any must trys regarding polish food/alcohol i should try when over:) i read the walnut vodka is supposed to be good so will give it a try, anything else:D

don't bother changing at the airport, they rip you off. Most streets in Krakow have wee shops called 'Kantor' they'll give you a far better rate.

Drink: caramel vodka and walnut vodka are mighty, zubrowka is good too. Tyskie or Lech are prob the best popular beers, you should also try House of Beer if you're into more obscure beers.
    If you want to experience what a restaurant was like in Communist times, look up the 'bar mleczny' on the street down to the castle from the main square, food is proper Polish mammy's food and you get a crazy mix of people in the place, one of the few authentic things around the square.

Kazimierz is the best part of Krakow.

nice one thanks, ya im staying in kazimierz.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

Try ALL of the beer and falvoured vodka - they are so cheap. Myself and my friend basically went through them in the space of the 5 days we were there.

Edit: We didn't get through them all but made a decent effort :)

haha any favourite spots maire?

haha any favourite spots maire?

To be honest I couldn't name any pub we went into. Generally just rambled in and ordered a drink and stayed if we like it. There was an English pub (in name only really, had all the local beer) just off the main square, went there to watch the Premier League one day. Nice pub and nice staff. It might have had the name "bull" in it somewhere but can't be sure.

Maire2009 wrote: »
    To be honest I couldn't name any pub we went into. Generally just rambled in and ordered a drink and stayed if we like it. There was an English pub (in name only really, had all the local beer) just off the main square, went there to watch the Premier League one day. Nice pub and nice staff. It might have had the name "bull" in it somewhere but can't be sure.

Called John Bull, it's just off the main square, on the small square (Maly Rynek) just behind the big ass cathedral on the square. It's a bit naff though, the Irish pub, Irish Mbassy is better imo and close by. But tbh, most of the pubs round there are a bit of a rip off and mostly just for tourists, that Kaz place is where the locals hang out.

Here's a list of the best places according to TripAdvisor for a night out:
    http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g274772-Activities-c20-Krakow_Lesser_Poland_Province_Southern_Poland.html

Called John Bull, it's just off the main square, on the small square (Maly Rynek) just behind the big ass cathedral on the square. It's a bit naff though, the Irish pub, Irish Mbassy is better imo and close by. But tbh, most of the pubs round there are a bit of a rip off and mostly just for tourists, that Kaz place is where the locals hang out.

Here's a list of the best places according to TripAdvisor for a night out:
    http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g274772-Activities-c20-Krakow_Lesser_Poland_Province_Southern_Poland.html

That could have been it - found it grand but was more interested in the football :) I found their prices reasonable in there given it was so close the square, but I suppose all prices are favourable when compared to here.

• Advertisement

Maire2009 wrote: »
    That could have been it - found it grand but was more interested in the football :) I found their prices reasonable in there given it was so close the square, but I suppose all prices are favourable when compared to here.

Yea, that's true. I just prefer the Mbassy for the soccer coz they have Irish ads on instead of Sky ads and sometimes it's the only Irish accent I'd hear for weeks.

Krakow is very cheap for people coming with euros though, but some of the best nights I've had out in Krakow were in places where the beer was only 4zl and the vodka was 8zl....so 1 and 2 euro respectively......look out for places called "Ministries of Vodka and Herring" (I don't remember the Polish translation...'something Sledz i Wodka'.
    They don't get a lot of tourists so people will be only delighted to talk to you in there and practice their drunken English :D

Back from krakow, had a blast! Stayed in kazimierz area most of the time, i want to go back :-)

Advertisement