Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bord Gais offering 5% discount to existing customers

Options
  • 30-12-2013 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭

but 10% if you're a new customer

is that allowed?
    I feel punished for trying to stay put with my electrical company (also, that 10% was my best option in bonkers...)

rang them but got told that it's what it is and like it or not, very annoying
    I guess they don't have a facebook account for a reason, they can't probably take what people have to say about them

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Why would it now be allowed? Companies often offer bigger discounts to attract new customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Why would existing customers be offered the same discount / any discount as new customers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭quilmore

Riamfada wrote: »
    Why would existing customers be offered the same discount / any discount as new customers?

you're right, unless you care about your current customer base and intend to keep them with you and not to switch supplier in an open market

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

This is why it's called an open market ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭carpejugulum

Do you have to sign for 12 months to get the 5%?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Pretty much every service works that way to entice new customers. Sky always have offers for new customers only. Mobile networks offer cheaper phones to new customers. My online backup service is dearer this year than when I joined as a new customer last year.

There's nothing stopping you switching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

quilmore wrote: »
    but 10% if you're a new customer

is that allowed?
    I feel punished for trying to stay put with my electrical company (also, that 10% was my best option in bonkers...)
    Better offers for people not with them, in order to entice them into becoming their customers - standard stuff. The thing to do would be change supplier - and avail of its better offer for new customers than for its existing customers.
    I guess they don't have a facebook account for a reason
    They do: https://www.facebook.com/BordGaisEnergy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭knarkypants

To be honest it always annoys me how companies only make special offers to new customers. I think they would do better to offer something similar to their existing customers to reward their loyalty.

I remember a few years ago I was with Airtricity and had a good discount for signing up with them (20% I think). After the discount ended I started shopping around for a cheaper supplier. Found one and began the change over. Obviously Airtricity were notified I was leaving them and the phoned me up and offered me another 8% off my gas and electricity each plus 2% for DD payments so a total of 18% off if I stayed with them another year so I stayed with them and cancelled the change over.

Now when that discount ended I left them and they didn't do anything to stop me. To me it just makes better sense to try keep the customers they have by offering rewards of some sort than to just keep losing them over and over again.

I find it a bit of a pain to have to keep changing supplier every year to save money. I would much prefer if they had a discount for long term customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

To be honest it always annoys me how companies only make special offers to new customers. ...

This is their way of telling you to go to another supplier, get their new customer offer then come back and get the 10%.

Keep moving and getting new customer offers. They'll keep penalising people who don't move, until they move.

Advertisement