Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Washington DC flights

Options
  • 30-12-2013 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭

Hi all

I can't find much helpful information on this topic so I said I'd ask you lovely folks!

Planning a trip to DC next October (then on to Boston from there then flying home from Boston).

My trouble is, what is the best/easiest way to get from Dublin to Washington DC? (Don't say "via plane" ha ha!)

I don't think Aer Lingus fly direct so perhaps we would be better flying to London and direct from there?

Would appreciate any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

United fly direct from Dublin. Otherwise via another city as you suggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Have you a preference as to airline? Generally direct flights are easiest, but via Heathrow can be cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I flew on Delta via Atlanta into Regan which is a handier airport to get into the city than Dulles which is where you fly to on direct flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭fartyarse

I actually managed to get direct flights quite cheap with ebookers today, €600 return (but flying out of Boston) which I thought was very good value, considering United were looking for €1500 one way Dublin to DC.

Flying into Dulles which obviously isn't ideal but we'll get over that!

Ah, I didn't think you were looking at one way tickets (they're always much, much more expensive).

What you got is called an "open jaw" :pac: - i.e a return ticket, just coming back from a different city than you arrive in. That's exactly what you needed and rarely costs much more than a standard return from the same city you fly into.

• Advertisement

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Ah, I didn't think you were looking at one way tickets (they're always much, much more expensive).

What you got is called an "open jaw" :pac: - i.e a return ticket, just coming back from a different city than you arrive in. That's exactly what you needed and rarely costs much more than a standard return from the same city you fly into.

I was gobsmacked. United wanted €1500 for a one way flight Dublin to DC, but on ebookers I have my bum on that exact same plane, AND I get back from Boston for €600. I must have triple and quadruple checked it because I cannot fathom how ebookers can get me over and back for less than 1/2 the price of one-way through the airline's website??

Anyone know why? I'm not complaining though!

No need for gobsmacked. If you check the airline websites, they'll do exactly the same as ebookers did.

One way flights tend to be much more expensive because they can be. Airlines want numbers. They like numbers in advance, because it lets them plan. So they like to get people locked in to their plans and the cash from them. On the flip side, they also like cash and lots of it. Most one way flights are bought by business travellers or those who need to be somewhere asap, normally at the last minute. They're expensive, but these folks don't care. They tickets also normally quite flexible in terms of their conditions, meaning they can be cancelled/changed etc before you leave. Therefore high prices = $$$ for the airlines.

BuffyBot wrote: »
    No need for gobsmacked. If you check the airline websites, they'll do exactly the same as ebookers did.

One way flights tend to be much more expensive because they can be. Airlines want numbers. They like numbers in advance, because it lets them plan. So they like to get people locked in to their plans and the cash from them. On the flip side, they also like cash and lots of it. Most one way flights are bought by business travellers or those who need to be somewhere asap, normally at the last minute. They're expensive, but these folks don't care. They tickets also normally quite flexible in terms of their conditions, meaning they can be cancelled/changed etc before you leave. Therefore high prices = $$$ for the airlines.

So did ebookers "block-book" a group of seats on that plane for a hugely reduced price to sell on?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Usually I used to fly Atlanta or Philadelphia to Washington . You can do that from Dublin and Shannon .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

you don't say how you are getting from DC to Boston, but you can do a open jaw with United DUB - IAD - IAD - BOS - BOS - DUB (last leg codeshare with Aer Lingus) for random dates in October for E755.00

• Advertisement

you don't say how you are getting from DC to Boston, but you can do a open jaw with United DUB - IAD - IAD - BOS - BOS - DUB (last leg codeshare with Aer Lingus) for random dates in October for E755.00

Damnit I thought I'd have to book the internal flight separately. Working out to be around $100 so not a huge deal.

Advertisement