Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Late Payment Fee

Options
  • 30-12-2013 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I have an account with UPC for phone and broadband only . My monthly charge is around €48.00 per month.
    My last bill was €67.00. I enquired and was told that a late payment fee of €12.50 applies to overdue accounts, not paid within 14 days of issue of invoice.
    This is a staggering 25% charge for 2 weeks which equates to 650% per annum!!!!
    This is unbelievable and a money lender would be embarrassed to charge anyone 650% per annum.
    Please be aware of this charge as it is not pointed out to you when you sign up, you are told , after the charge has been applied that you should have read the terms & conditions.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

I have an account with UPC for phone and broadband only . My monthly charge is around €48.00 per month.
    My last bill was €67.00. I enquired and was told that a late payment fee of €12.50 applies to overdue accounts, not paid within 14 days of issue of invoice.
    This is a staggering 25% charge for 2 weeks which equates to 650% per annum!!!!
    This is unbelievable and a money lender would be embarrassed to charge anyone 650% per annum.
    Please be aware of this charge as it is not pointed out to you when you sign up, you are told , after the charge has been applied that you should have read the terms & conditions.

Eh, no.
    You should have read the Ts & Cs before signing the contract.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Terms & Conditions cover what you are signing up to,
    In this day and age only a idiot signs up to a contract for mobile, tv, broadband etc etc without reading the terms....and more importantly making sure they also understand them.

Its important to know where you stand in certain situations for any type of contract you enter into,if you can't be bothered to read this info then you look silly when you complain about stuff you agreed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I'm with upc decades, they introduced this charge last summer, there was only notice for paper bill customers.

Also if you pay by the right day and the payment is not reached by upc,, you still get charged, this means 5 days for a back transfer, but my cc is 3 days.

I now have a reminder set up for the day before the bill comes in.

I have complained about this charge and the 4 euro charge for not paying by dd, but to no avail do now looking for a

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

F1ngers wrote: »
    Eh, no.
    You should have read the Ts & Cs before signing the contract.

I would disagree.
    For something with such a high charge it should be made clear up front rather than buried in the terms and conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I would disagree.
    For something with such a high charge it should be made clear up front rather than buried in the terms and conditions.

The contract is designed to be complied with. Sanctions for contract breaches do not need to be highlighted, but should be included.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I would disagree.
    It is not a high charge; it's a fixed amount + percentage. Not only that but you should never even need to know what it is because you actually pay your bill on time; you know personal responsibility...

Well if the complaint is shot down, not long before the electricity and gas companies follow suit.

I have switched to paper Billing, at least then I might be told of changes in conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,514 ✭✭✭Heroditas

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Well if the complaint is shot down, hire long before the electricity and gas companies follow suit.

I have switched to paper Billing, at lest then I might be told of changes in conditions.

They're not allowed do something like that for donestic customers, hence why they don't already do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

I would disagree.

But surely when you read the T&C, and sign to say you agree to them, you are accepting that if you do not pay your bill on time, you accept the extra charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭carpejugulum

http://support.upc.ie/app/answers/detail/a_id/135/kw/fee/sno/1

It's not buried. You just didn't bother looking it up .. and pay on time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Sorry how is this 650% also. You get billed 12 times a year so you can at max get this charge 12 times a year if completely crap with money which amounts to €150. Did you just take 25% and multiply by 52weeks/2weeks? If so learn how charges and maths work!

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

I enquired and was told that a late payment fee of €12.50 applies to overdue accounts, not paid within 14 days of issue of invoice.

Ask them to take it off, they will. I was out of the country for five weeks.. missed their bills as I do it all manually. They didn't look for a reason as to why I hadn't paid, but I said I don't want to pay the fee and they took it off. Maybe it's because I've been with them years and no payment problems, or maybe I got the right person.. in the loyalty team!
    wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I'm with upc decades, they introduced this charge last summer, there was only notice for paper bill customers.

Also if you pay by the right day and the payment is not reached by upc,, you still get charged, this means 5 days for a back transfer, but my cc is 3 days.

I now have a reminder set up for the day before the bill comes in.

I have complained about this charge and the 4 euro charge for not paying by dd, but to no avail do now looking for a
    Tell them you don't have a bank account, then they'll remove the fee.

New charges are coming in soon if you're not signed up for a ''My UPC'' account.

I will certainly do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Nody wrote: »
    It is not a high charge; it's a fixed amount + percentage. Not only that but you should never even need to know what it is because you actually pay your bill on time; you know personal responsibility...

Its a high amount compared to UPC here were they don't have a late payment charge.

Advertisement