Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So who's playing Kerbal Space Program?

Options
  • 30-12-2013 2:12pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I looked, saw a threat about when the game started it's development life and that's about it for the gamers of boards.ie it seems.

I picked it up in the Sale and it's one of those "oh sht, it's 4am" sorts of games. I'm having more fun in the Career mode than Sandbox cause I like the challenge of "making do" with whatever tech I've researched to try and go further and faster :)

Thoughts? Opinions? Tips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭iggyigauna89

Absolutely fantastic game! There's a thread going on over here. Only tip would be to gain as much science as possible from Kerbin first with your Mystery Goo containment unit. Have you made it to Mun (and back!) yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Picked it up myself and love it !

• Registered Users Posts: 26 TGxMister

I have it as well, amazing game. I have never successfully landed on any planet, although I did accidentally leave the solar system once. No one knows where Jebediah is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

It's fun for a bit.... My interest in it died pretty quickly. Whilst it's easy enough to figure out how to get in to orbit manually, doing anything after that is near impossible unless you use the control mod or work for Nasa.

There's just not much to it once you get past the initial wow factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Only tip would be to gain as much science as possible from Kerbin first with your Mystery Goo containment unit.

Sentences like this are why normal people laugh at us. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Picked this up for cheap last week.

Really enjoying it! :D

Have a kerbal in a capsule stranded in elliptic orbit around Kerbin with 300 science on-board. Happened when i returned from Mun orbit and ran out of fuel.

I can't for the life of me get a rescue craft to line up with it. Traveling at 1900m/s when it's near Kerbin. :pac:

Haha, something like that happened to me before but I was close enough to Kerbin that every time I entered the atmosphere it slowed me down slightly. Took about 10 orbits before I was able to deploy my parachute!!

Anyone know when the 0.24 update will be released??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Today hopefully. Though it was meant to be Tuesday, then delayed to yesterday, now it's today.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,330 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I had a good bit of fun with this 1-2 years ago when it was in early stages, back before it was even on Steam and then again after it got the green light and went to a paywall

The full game will promise to be fantastic, with years of development. I will wait until theres more of a metagame to it, but if youre bored on a saturday its really fun, begs for optimization for larger rockets :p but very fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Overheal wrote: »
    I had a good bit of fun with this 1-2 years ago when it was in early stages, back before it was even on Steam and then again after it got the green light and went to a paywall

The full game will promise to be fantastic, with years of development. I will wait until theres more of a metagame to it, but if youre bored on a saturday its really fun, begs for optimization for larger rockets :p but very fun!

Well atm there is the career mode, so you unlock parts based on how much 'science' you gain, and you gain science for exploring different planets, collecting samples etc.
    Now you also have a contracts system where you're given specific missions to do to earn money. You have limited funds so you actually have to work on getting your parts safely back to kerbin for recovery rather than just letting them explode.

Plus loads of mods which add even more objectives.

• Advertisement

Haha, something like that happened to me before but I was close enough to Kerbin that every time I entered the atmosphere it slowed me down slightly. Took about 10 orbits before I was able to deploy my parachute!!

I got within 100m of the capsule but 2 completely different orbital paths so it shot past me. :(

After a few more orbits, Jebediah was shot out of orbit by Mun with his 300 science and no power.

Currently orbiting the Sun somewhere :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,389 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Taylor365 wrote: »
    I got within 100m of the capsule but 2 completely different orbital paths so it shot past me. :(

After a few more orbits, Jebediah was shot out of orbit by Mun with his 300 science and no power.

Currently orbiting the Sun somewhere :pac:

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Has what might well be the best game trailer I've ever seen (unofficial)
    I have considered starting PC gaming just to play it.
    Games like this will inspire people into science, Space X and much more..

Great fan made trailer.

Although the graphics aren't anything fancy, it still boggles the mind how they can fit such a vast game into 2GB.

It would probably take you a month of non-stop playing(720hrs) to walk a Kerbal around Kerbin(Earth).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Kerbal BETA than ever !! Big update to an already amazing game as it enters its Beta phase.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/content/322-KSP-has-gone-Beta!-v0-90-0-is-Officially-Released

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Yea, I'm gonna have a look at it this lunch time, can't wait :)

Liking the new build your base in career, makes much more sense to start with a tiny base and build it up. Restarting the career now.

To the Mun!!!!!!:D

I had only started a "Science" run through last week, continued with it today (attempting to land on the Mun now myself). The new build interface is very useful and a nice tidying up of the inventory - will be especially important if you've got B9 and the likes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,215 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I must try and get back into this, the first time I tried it was on my 720p and I couldn't read the text which kind of made it unplayable. I've 1080p monitor now so that should help :)

Much improved, I like the contracts ( I think that is new first time I have seen it anyway) So far I have tested the rocket booster and Parachute got three grand for it!

My landing pad is limited to 18 tons until I upgrade it so lots more work to do to earn enough for that but I have gotten a lot of science so progressing through the unlocks nicely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Halfbaker

Hmmm... must have another look at this. I was addicted to it for a while!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,782 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Just finished reading the Race for Space and was thinking about this game...

Time to download methinks!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Right, so I might try to get into this over Christmas (and cross it off my backlog). Can anyone recommend any good guides/tutorials?

Reekwind wrote: »
    Right, so I might try to get into this over Christmas (and cross it off my backlog). Can anyone recommend any good guides/tutorials?

Scott Manley's guides on youtube are the handiest guides I think. I still haven't mastered docking but he covers everything else pretty well!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Absolutely fantastic game! There's a thread going on over here. Only tip would be to gain as much science as possible from Kerbin first with your Mystery Goo containment unit. Have you made it to Mun (and back!) yet?

The first time I realised you could do this I thought it was hilarious, particularly the comments.

I'm at a point now where getting into orbit isn't really a problem but getting into the right orbit is still a bit of a challenge, I generally end up having to waste too much fuel just correcting myself to make journeys beyond minimus pretty much impossible.

Still haven't quite mastered the art of landing on the mun without exploding, though I'm looking in to a promising avenue called "de-seller-ayshun".

No matter how many times I do make it into to orbit though, I still love the transition.

Got back into this on the weekend. Racked up another 10 hours! :D

First time playing .90 and the full on career is a nice challenge. Makes it very hard to even make it to Mun without upgrading and investing at least 400k funds.

Built a workable jet for the first time to do the survey contracts too!

If only work and KSP were the same thing :(

Advertisement