Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why is there nowhere in Ireland to audition amps and speakers?

• 30-12-2013 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

hey,
    So i recently got a set of Tannoy Revolution DC6T SE floor speakers. There was no way to audition them as Ireland is a totally useless country to live in when trying to buy mid-high end hifi systems. I basically based my decision on reviews (and budget too).

Now im in the market for a better amp. Currently I have a Yamaha A S300. When I decided I wanted a really nice hi-fi set up I made the big mistake of going into Petes and came out of the shop with an amp without even knowing what speakers I wanted. Now, 6 months in with my Tannoys and realising, through research, that the Yamaha is doing the speakers no service at all I think I'm going to purchase an Arcam FMJ A19 amp. And again I have to make my decision on the basis of reviews. Mostly I've been reading up on which amp is best paired with my Tannoys.

It's very annoying. I think reviews are kinda pointless because you should be using your own ears, its all about what you like not what someone else says is good.

Someone needs to set up a show room somewhere so that people can audition equipment and maybe sell online. But is there demand though? With the rise of the personal computer it seems that everyone of my generation just accepted those crap speakers you got free with the PC, the quality dropped seriously and i think Hi-fi speakers and systems got pushed aside.

Nearly all of my friends male or female have speakers worth no more than 150 blips - the Argos kind of range. But the thing is they will spend large amounts on other kinds of electronics. I think they would buy better speakers if they were exposed to the market.

Any opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

So you haven't been to Cloney Audio then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

If you're looking for something high end I recommend a trip to richersounds in Belfast. They'd be happy to have something set up for you in their demo room and their price is almost always miles ahead of the competition. They have a forum here on boards where you can talk to them and get advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 naruwek

yeah i was looking into richer sounds a good while back. i was just looking at the site though and it didn't seem to have much selection. Going to take another look now and head over to their forum. thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭3DataModem

To answer your question; "because you haven't found the 3 or 4 places yet"

which are?

• Advertisement

So you haven't been to Cloney Audio then?

yeah went there, mad about their B&Ws they are but didn't have any of the amps i was looking for or speakers for that matter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭johnboy8

hi fi hut are decent,they are off the nangor road.

johnboy8 wrote: »
    hi fi hut are decent,they are off the nangor road.

oh cool, didn't know about this place. just checked out their site - Ill go have a look. I stand corrected so! thanks a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

naruwek wrote: »
    oh cool, didn't know about this place. just checked out their site - Ill go have a look. I stand corrected so! thanks a lot.

High end fail. :-)

Idleater wrote: »
    High end fail. :-)

HAHA indeed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

HAHA indeed

As a matter of interest, what are you looking at building up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

yeah went there, mad about their B&Ws they are but didn't have any of the amps i was looking for or speakers for that matter

They have the Arcam amp you mentioned - usually to test drive with whatever hardware you bring along. Nice looking speakers btw.

Also don't forget to bring along a good selection of media to test the hardware you are interested in.

Idleater wrote: »
    As a matter of interest, what are you looking at building up?

Basically i have my Tannoys and I'm happy with them but i need a new amp that goes nicely with them. I'm in the process of getting a Marantz CD in the 600x range. Currently i play my music from my PC which is hooked up to a m-audio sound card (in a preamp - i don't even know if this is necessary but its a good soundcard so i just left it in the set-up) which is hooked up to my Yamaha a s-300. It's a mess with way too many volume controls everywhere. Just want an isolated stet-up to play all my CDs.

So the result will look like this maybe : Tannoy Revolution DC6T SE's, Arcam a19, marantz CD600x

if anyone has a pair of Tannoy Revolution DC6T SE's let me know what amp you use please!

have to check out HifiHut to see if my speakers and amp are there. fingers crossed.

They have the Arcam amp you mentioned - usually to test drive with whatever hardware you bring along. Nice looking speakers btw.

Also don't forget to bring along a good selection of media to test the hardware you are interested in.

ah ok when i was there, like over a year ago, i was looking for the Tannoys because that's what i was buying first - they were telling me the ole B&W 684s were better! Nice speakers but im glad i stuck with my decision. Also my tannoys are too hard to transport there. They be heavy boys so id have to find a place with them in store.

wonder can you take it home and return if unhappy.... !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭johnboy8

there is also the listening lounge on georges street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭HifiHut: Daniel

Basically i have my Tannoys and I'm happy with them but i need a new amp that goes nicely with them. I'm in the process of getting a Marantz CD in the 600x range. Currently i play my music from my PC which is hooked up to a m-audio sound card (in a preamp - i don't even know if this is necessary but its a good soundcard so i just left it in the set-up) which is hooked up to my Yamaha a s-300. It's a mess with way too many volume controls everywhere. Just want an isolated stet-up to play all my CDs.

So the result will look like this maybe : Tannoy Revolution DC6T SE's, Arcam a19, marantz CD600x

if anyone has a pair of Tannoy Revolution DC6T SE's let me know what amp you use please!

have to check out HifiHut to see if my speakers and amp are there. fingers crossed.

Hi Naruwek,

We're expecting to have the Tannoys here on demo within the next couple of weeks. The Marantz CD6005 demo model was sold in the last couple of days before christmas, but we should have more within the next week or so. The amp we don't have at the moment, all I can say is we are working on bringing some more brands on board but for now you might wish to have a listen to the Rega Brio R or Roksan Kandy K2 as alternatives.

- Daniel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

johnboy8 wrote: »
    there is also the listening lounge on georges street.
    Would that be The Listening Suite on Wicklow Street? Very high end stuff but they do some great entry level stuff too. Worth asking if they have any trade ins.

http://www.thelisteningsuite.ie/Home

Hi Naruwek,

We're expecting to have the Tannoys here on demo within the next couple of weeks. The Marantz CD6005 demo model was sold in the last couple of days before christmas, but we should have more within the next week or so. The amp we don't have at the moment, all I can say is we are working on bringing some more brands on board but for now you might wish to have a listen to the Rega Brio R or Roksan Kandy K2 as alternatives.

- Daniel

I was just looking up Google maps there, Im actually not too far from you in Dublin 8. Was going to go out tomorrow but i'll hold out till you get the tannoys in. thanks for getting back to me! well as you can see by the thread i was so busy giving out to actually realise you guys exist, looking forward to going out there.
    saw the Marantz were sold out in your shop. Though the sad thing about it is i can get it way cheaper online. Would like to buy from a local shop, unfortunately amazon wins again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭HifiHut: Daniel

I was just looking up Google maps there, Im actually not too far from you in Dublin 8. Was going to go out tomorrow but i'll hold out till you get the tannoys in. thanks for getting back to me! well as you can see by the thread i was so busy giving out to actually realise you guys exist, looking forward to going out there.
    saw the Marantz were sold out in your shop. Though the sad thing about it is i can get it way cheaper online. Would like to buy from a local shop, unfortunately amazon wins again...

Yes, unfortunately Marantz are one of the brands who's euro and sterling pricing is completely out of line (if we were allowed buy in sterling we could match any Amazon price) but we have been assured that it will be addressed - we're just not sure exactly when.

- Daniel

Yes, unfortunately Marantz are one of the brands who's euro and sterling pricing is completely out of line (if we were allowed buy in sterling we could match any Amazon price) but we have been assured that it will be addressed - we're just not sure exactly when.

- Daniel

yeah that is so annoying for ye.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭rednik

Hi Naruwek,

- Daniel

Hi Daniel,

I have sent you a PM about some kit I am interested in purchasing.

• Company Representative Posts: 9,478 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

yeah i was looking into richer sounds a good while back. i was just looking at the site though and it didn't seem to have much selection. Going to take another look now and head over to their forum. thanks

Naruwek,
    I rarely post outside our own Forum, but I see other retailers are posting and of course we have been mentioned in posts so I thought I'd pop a post in.

You can look at the www.richersounds.com website and we stock all the kit on the UK site - we do also sell the Tannoy speakers you are after and can order them in no problem for demo for you - we have lots of PM6005 available from stock and for demo - and we also have the Arcam A19 / Rega Brio / Roksan K2 / K2 BT / Cambridge Audio 651A / 851A / Yamaha AS500 ( and lots more) available for demo right now ( and of course we deliver across Ireland every day)

We are happy to match any Amazon or online price subject to our normal T's and C's - if you wanted to pop into our Boards forum you will hopefully find that we have good long term relationships with our Customers - we have been around here a good few years now..

Give us a shout if we can ever assist or of course if you would like to book a demo in our dem room just pop us a PM or a mail to sales@richersounds.ie and we will book you in and have your required kit ( and maybe some off the wall ideas that the music addled guys that work with us may have :) )

Thanaks again,

ATVB,

John McDonald
    MD Richer Sounds Ireland

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 23 xen0phon

+1 for HiFi Hut, just bought some Q Acoustics from them and they couldn't have been more helpful. Set up the speakers exactly how I wanted them so I could give them a proper demo, and convinced me after a year of looking to go for it.

Proof that for audio you really need to hear before you buy.

Advertisement