Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding subtitles to mp4

Options
  • 30-12-2013 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,362 ✭✭✭✭

Ok,
    I have two converters,
    CovertX to dvd and ImToo video converter.

I want to put an mp4 film on to a hard drive.
    I have srt subtitles.

I'm wondering is there a way to add the subtitles to the mp4 file without having to convert it?

I find I lose a bit of picture quality using ImToo converter.
    It's also very slow.

ConvertX to dvd seems better quality but does this only do DVDs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

YAMB should do the trick (get the installer - second link down).
    It'll add the subtitles to the file container as softsubs without re-encoding, but just note that the subtitles mightn't be visible on some devices that don't support switchable subs.
    If you want the subtitles hardcoded to the actual video frames, there's no way to do it without re-encoding.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,362 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Thanks for that maki.
    I'll check it out there.
    I will be watching the film on my tv so I think you mean I can switch on or off on the Tv's settings, yeah?
    The film is Elysium so there are some non English parts.

To be honest if your tv can't read the separate srt file it's pretty doubtful that it'll be able to read them muxed into the file container either. It's worth a try though since the process is fairly quick.
    You could try demuxing the audio and video streams (using YAMB) and remuxing them along with the subtitles into an mkv container (using mkvmerge) instead, but again it mightn't work if your tv doesn't support it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,362 ✭✭✭✭blade1

My tv can read srt files.
    I got the film on a disc and there was no subs with it.
    I downloaded the subs.
    I'll let u know how I get on with YAMB.

If your tv can read srt files then just rename it to the same name as your mp4 file and put it in the same folder. The tv should detect them and play them over the video.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Gamayun

maki wrote: »
    If your tv can read srt files then just rename it to the same name as your mp4 file and put it in the same folder. The tv should detect them and play them over the video.

Yup, if your watching via a USB stick on your TV then just rename the files as:

Elysium.mp4
    Elysium.srt

in the same folder, it should autodetect and use the subtitles.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement