Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying my first car

• 30-12-2013 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hello all,

I am a complete simpleton when it comes to cars but I have recently passed my driving test and I am thinking of buying a car.

I am 19 so insurance is gonna be massive anyway but I'm looking for suggestions? what kind of car should I get? How much is reasonable to pay?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,467 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

How much have you to spend?
    if you can stretch to €2000 or so, a yaris is the way to go.
    If you haven't that much then a 90s micra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

not a corsa not a corsa not a corsa not a corsa not a corsa not a corsa :pac:

Ah no, they do the trick for starting off, as do micras, you'l get loads of people suggesting toyota yaris's too, but have a look at the 1 liters that everyone forgets about too ;) theres more out there than those three

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭dorkacle

I'd go for something reasonably small, and cheap. Cos it is bound to get a few dings here and there :)

A Yaris, Fiesta or a Polo?

EDIT:

you'l get loads of people suggesting toyota yaris's too, but have a look at the 1 liters that everyone forgets about too ;) theres more out there than those three
    :o:o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭niamhhealy86

ya i was thinking a yaris/ a polo alright! they seem like the safe option :)

From the top of my head, the other cheap 1.0s you can get are
    Suzuki swift
    Suzuki alto
    Suzuki Wagon R
    Vw Lupo/Seat Arosa
    VW polo
    Seat Ibiza
    Daihatsu Sirion
    Daihatsu Cuore
    Fiat Seicento
    Opel Agila
    Opel Corsa
    Citroen Saxo
    Peugeot 106

I stand over my first post though!

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    From the top of my head, the other cheap 1.0s you can get are
    Suzuki swift
    Suzuki alto
    Suzuki Wagon R
    Vw Lupo/Seat Arosa
    VW polo
    Seat Ibiza
    Daihatsu Sirion
    Daihatsu Cuore
    Fiat Seicento
    Opel Agila
    Opel Corsa
    Citroen Saxo
    Peugeot 106

I stand over my first post though!

off the top of your head??? fair play :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,267 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Hard to beat a Yaris. They are not cheap but that is because they are popular.

This one looks tidy:

24830478.jpeg
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/00-toyota-yaris-terra-1-0-5-door-nctd/6011486

In "granny green" and all :D

Id take anything at this stage :P

Ya can't bate it! Or that navy looking one they have too

• Advertisement

For a youngwan, a 3 door in red with CD, colour coded bumpers, and nice (factory) steering wheel might appeal

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-yaris-1-0-litre-petrol/5803445

Pity the nct is short.

I started in a SEAT Arosa (VW Lupo) great car!

Loved it, but they are very 'Boxy'.

One thing I'll say about the Yaris is I never like the Gear lever/box on them.

Very easy to use, but completely different to anything else I've driven because you barely have to move it.

Anyone else know what I mean?

I could see why this could be seen as a benefit tbh, its just a little 'pet peeve' of mine. :confused:

a shur lads arent ye the best :P

Not as bad as the light green or salmon pink they had them available in back then.

dorkacle wrote: »
    I started in a SEAT Arosa (VW Lupo) great car!

Loved it, but they are very 'Boxy'.

One thing I'll say about the Yaris is I never like the Gear lever/box on them.

Very easy to use, but completely different to anything else I've driven because you barely have to move it.

Anyone else know what I mean?

I could see why, this could be seen as a benefit tbh, its just a little 'pet peeve' of mine. :confused:

The only experience I've had of a lupo is drifting one in gran turismo 5 :pac: but i do get what you mean with the gears, in my car its very solid and you can feel the whole thing move where as in them you can tip it and it moves, is that kinda what you mean?
    a shur lads arent ye the best :P

Ah shur we do try like :P

My sister had a Lupo a few years back. It always had something stupid wrong with it, from blocked drains to a dodgy lambda sensor. Couldn't honestly recommend one.

The only experience I've had of a lupo is drifting one in gran turismo 5 :pac: but i do get what you mean with the gears, in my car its very solid and you can feel the whole thing move where as in them you can tip it and it moves, is that kinda what you mean?

Ah the Arosa/Lupo was great. It was only 1.0 but it was quite nippy, and fun too drive, in saying that the Yaris is too.

Ye could also pretty much park it anywhere because of the size! :D

An yeah pretty much :) ya just tip it and its in and there lol, isn't alot of difference in movement involved in changing gears, its almost too easy :pac:
    bazz26 wrote: »
    My sister had a Lupo a few years back. It always had something stupid wrong with it, from blocked drains to a dodgy lambda sensor. Couldn't honestly recommend one.

Luck of the draw I suppose? Got mine cheap and never really looked after over the 2 and an half years I had it. Never had a bother on it tho!

The clutch ended up going on it though, which is when I got rid of it and upgraded.

dorkacle wrote: »
    Ah the Arosa/Lupo was great. It was only 1.0 but it was quite nippy, and fun too drive, in saying that the Yaris is too.

Ye could also pretty much park it anywhere because of the size! :D

An yeah pretty much :) ya just tip it and its in and there lol, isn't alot of difference in movement involved in changing gears, its almost too easy :pac:

Aye but the amount of times I've been going around and see a space i might get into but my cars just that bit bigger, and then some dinky lupo or something like that comes and fits in no bothers :pac: Think i may downsize for the following car :P anyways, back on topic, how much of a budget does the OP actually have to spend?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

If you can get past the looks,i'd be looking at a clean sirion.

If you can get past the looks,i'd be looking at a clean sirion.

This aint too shabby either, in cark and all! :pac:
    lack of mileage is a concern though, oh wait it has 90,000

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/1-0-daihatsu-cuore/6135809

• Advertisement

Aye but the amount of times I've been going around and see a space i might get into but my cars just that bit bigger, and then some dinky lupo or something like that comes and fits in no bothers :pac: Think i may downsize for the following car :P anyways, back on topic, how much of a budget does the OP actually have to spend?

€2000 would be the max really..

€2000 would be the max really..

Grand, well how many miles in a year do you think you'l be driving? is that money just for the car or is it insurance and the car and all the rest?

Grand, well how many miles in a year do you think you'l be driving? is that money just for the car or is it insurance and the car and all the rest?

well that would be just for the car! My good old nana has said she'll pay the insurance.. (everybody say awwww) :P o good god i wouldnt have a notion :P (as i said i'm a complete simpleton :D)

well that would be just for the car! My good old nana has said she'll pay the insurance.. (everybody say awwww) :P o good god i wouldnt have a notion :P (as i said i'm a complete simpleton :D)

Nawwww :P well for some :P Well heres one
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/1300-euro-polo-1-litre/6185897
    its fairly local if you're in or around the city too or are you in a position to travel around to look?
    and we were all simpletons at one point so it's grand don't worry :)

Nawwww :P well for some :P Well heres one
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/1300-euro-polo-1-litre/6185897
    its fairly local if you're in or around the city too or are you in a position to travel around to look?
    and we were all simpletons at one point so it's grand don't worry :)

ya that looks decent enough! :) id be able to travel alright!

It's almost 2014, nobody should have to wind windows. We have the technology like,

ya that looks decent enough! :) id be able to travel alright!

Well in that case i'd seriously consider this

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2001-vw-polo-1ltr/6136778

New timing belt put in which is pretty good

Has an nct till april,

looks good!

It's almost 2014, nobody should have to wind windows. We have the technology like,

Didn't even notice that

Well in that case i'd seriously consider this

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2001-vw-polo-1ltr/6136778

New timing belt put in which is pretty good

Has an nct till april,

looks good!

ya i had been looking at that alright! great minds think alike! :P

Thanks for all your help btw :)

• Advertisement

Didn't even notice that

Yeah, odd spec on those facelifts, have power steering and electric mirrors and colour coded bumpers but windey windows

They're not a happy car those polos, very austere and solemn.

Advertisement